Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: Recording in SAW Tutorial

Hello,

Okay! What I have done is to create my own tutorial based on the information that I was able to glean from the Matt's SSVideos and from the excellent spoken information taken from the "Online SAWStudio Training Tutorials" videos - which I assume were taken verbatim from the SAWStudio User manual.

At this point it might be worth noting that any recordings that I do make will be considered as "one-offs" or "live recordings" - so no post processing will be done. to the recordings.

Whatever mistakes I do make will be noted - with the necessary steps taken to correct such mistakes in the future.

Please see attached and critique accordingly.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 07-16-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Updated tutorial

Blog Entries

Hello,

Tutorial #2 - using two tracks.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Anyone care to comment?

As I mentioned previously, "If there is anything amiss, them please let me know and why".

Thanks in advance.

Dell,

I'm not clear on why you're recording two independent tracks (no overdubbing; that is, it's not really a duet if you're not monitoring the first track and playing along with it when recording track two, is it?).

Also -- I'm not clear why you're changing the input to record the second track. If it's the same source (same instrument; same mic), you would only need to change the track you're recording to, keeping the input the same.

But, yes, if you really want to record source 1 to track 1 and then source 2 to track 2, without any relationship between them (in terms of time or sync), then what you have here should work.

Some hints:

If you do want to overdub (monitor track 1 while recording track 2), you would use the SRP (simultaneous record/play) function.

Rather than open up a new record meter for the second track in the same way you did for the first track, you may find it simpler to click on the track number in the open record meter and select the new track you want to record to.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

Can we look at Tutorial #1 first where, as you state, "But, yes, if you really want to record source 1 to track 1..." This is precisely what I am hoping to accomplish.

Does that first tutorial show that I have a bit of an understanding of SAW recording?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

Can we look at Tutorial #1 first where, as you state, "But, yes, if you really want to record source 1 to track 1..." This is precisely what I am hoping to accomplish.

Does that first tutorial show that I have a bit of an understanding of SAW recording?
    RE: Tutorial #1...

"Observation: The [Input Source] on Track I-01 displays [MultiTrk] and does not allow me to select aMONO input source.
    Questions: Is this an issue? Do I really need to be concerned about this point here at all?"

Not an issue at this point. Input source simply defines what source is feeding multitrack playback for each track. Not recording. Recording source is assigned in the recording meter/interface.

"Observations: I notice that both level meters are displaying levels. I gather this is due to the inputnow being configured as MONO input source. Question: Would this be a correct deduction?"

Correct, assuming both sides are showing identical levels; i.e., both sides of the meter are acting as a single meter. If each side is showing different levels, you have not successfully configured a mono input source.

"Part H: Testing Recording1. Select: Track 1 MT Record button Observations: The Record Remote Transport Window and Record Meter Window are closed. 2. Select: [F1]3. Select: [Home]4. Select: [Space Bar] Observations: Playback of recorded input is heard."

That's all good, but know that you don't have to close the record meter in order to play from the multitrack. This can be handy if you're going to do lots of recording in multiple start/stops, and want to play back bits of it as you go.

"Also, I notice that the text "Vocals 1 @" is displayed in the Regions View Window. The Regions View Window also displays the label of "Regions -1 / P-100%. Question: What does this mean? Or is it even relevant to me at this point?"

That's how SAW names each newly recorded/created region by default. Note that the "@" symbol denotes that the region contains embedded metadata regarding the region's initial position on the time line. This can be handy later if the region gets deleted or moved, and you need to place it back to its original location (in sync with a multitrack recording session, for example). You can put it back to the same, original, "time-stamped" location by using shift-INSERT from the regions view, having selected a hottrack of your choosing in the MT.

From the Help file, here's the explanation of the regions view title bar info display:
    The title bar of this window always displays the current Region count. There is no built in limit to the number of Regions one session can handle, only the limitation of your RAM.

When Region PeakData Memory Caching is activated, the title bar also displays the percentage of PeakData information belonging to the Regions currently used in the MultiTrack that has been cached into RAM, and maintains this display dynamically as editing progresses. The value is displayed as 'P-100%'.

When Region Memory Caching is activated, the title bar also displays the percentage of normal Region data belonging to the Regions currently used in the MultiTrack that has been cached into RAM, and maintains this display dynamically as editing progresses. The value is displayed as 'N-100%'.

"I notice that along with the Test.edl file, that there is also a Test_Vocals 1.wav file -- which I would assume, is the file that was recording during the initial "take"."

Correct. Test.edl is the session file ("Edit Decision List," from the old days of, I think, video editing), containing all kinds of info about your SAW session, including the time and space (track) information about all your region entries in the multitrack. The WAV file is, indeed, the underlying audio file that the region entry in the multitrack is referencing for its playback and processing duties.

Your Tutorial #1 PDF looks good to me, with the above caveats.

Respectfully, have you considered reading through the Help file in one form or another (in SAWStudio or in the PDF manual Bob's created) so as to learn this stuff? Seems like all the legwork of creating these workflows has already been done, more or less. Could save you (and your forum friends) some time. We're always here when you get stuck, of course. Or have needs for clarification on specific questions.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 07-18-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

Thanks so much for the details responses. Much appreciated.

Respectfully, have you considered reading through the Help file in one form or another (in SAWStudio or in the PDF manual Bob's created) so as to learn this stuff? Seems like all the legwork of creating these workflows has already been done, more or less. Could save you (and your forum friends) some time.
    ...Dave, I have, and did peruse the support videos - as I noted.

However, none of these sources actually describe in a step-by-step format on just how to record.

Or do they - and I am simply NOT seeing it?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

Thanks so much for the details responses. Much appreciated.

...Dave, I have, and did peruse the support videos - as I noted.

However, none of these sources actually describe in a step-by-step format on just how to record.

Or do they - and I am simply NOT seeing it?
    Although not presented in exactly the sequence that you may be looking for, I think all the information (and more) that you need starts on page 74 of the PDF user manual (Section 5, "Ready To Record").

To me, the real learning happens as I play with the different buttons and features (having been introduced to them by a manual), rather than just going through a series of laid-out steps. Though, that can be helpful, too. But any series of steps is such a narrow application; ultimately, I think the user's needs will be varied and diverge pretty quickly from any set of steps for a specific task. So, figuring it all out for myself through experimentation (based on the manual's guidance) gives me the best mental tools to approach whatever my personal needs will end up being. We all have different ways of working, after all.

YMMV, of course.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

Will do...reading it now....thanks again!