Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sudden Problem setting sample rate

Hoping somebody has an idea for this one - Last week everything worked okay.

Started up the SAW/XP machine today and I can't get the RME Multifaces to set to 44.1k.
    When I first open the Card settings window, the System clock shows 44.1k as it should, but after a brief pause (and before the two cards show sync), the system clock changes to 48k.

The AutoSync reference box above the system clock box shows 48k initially and then stays at 48k. I'm used to seeing it at 48k initially, but it always changes to 44.1k when the system clock shows 44.1k (as it normally would).

SAW won't play back my recent 44.1k live recording at the correct speed unless I reset the session sample rate to 48k. And SAC won't go live until I set its sample rate to 48k - I usually run it at 44.1k as well, although I don't usually have it open unless I am recording in the studio (I'm editing and mixing today - so no need for SAC).

The pc is an XP machine and has worked flawlessly for the past 3 years. I've got a pair of RME Multiface interfaces hooked up to two HDSP pci cards, running all analog inputs and outputs (except for a spdif loop on card 2, which I unhooked while attempting to troubleshoot the issue). There is nothing at all hooked up to the ADAT I/O.

I suspect that the problem isn't SAW or SAC and I'm not even sure that it's the RME, since there's no way in their gue that allows me to set a sample rate manually... I suspect the issue is with the computer, but haven't a clue where to begin searching. I tried reinstalling the RME drivers and reset the interface boxes (unplugging the FW cables for a few seconds as they instruct), but that didn't help either.

I haven't had to deal with anything like this for ages and don't have a very good understanding of what can be wrong to be able to figure this out on my own.

I'm hoping somebody here has a clue of what's wrong. I may post this in the RME forums, but started here where I'm more likely to get a timely response or two (as the RME forum has usually been really slow to respond in my experience).

The first image shows the initial settings of the system clock and AutoSync Ref boxes in the lower right corner from when I first open the thing.
    The second image shows the system clock change to 48k after it syncs with the other card (I guess?).
    Anybody have a clue as to what's gone wrong?
    Is there other information needed in order to diagnose the issue?

------ hmmmm. just noticed the spdif freq box is showing 32k..... I've never noticed what it usually shows, but that seems odd to me. Especially since I disconnected one side of the rca cable loop I usually have hooked up on card 2.

Name:  RME Clock Issue 1.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  RME Clock Issue 2.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  38.8 KB
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 03-03-2018 at 12:01 PM.