Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interesting Observation Testing ADA 8200

I receiver my first ADA 8200 today to replace the ADA 8000 converters in my SAW Studio machine, partly because of the delay issue when starting playback. I replaced the first of 4 ADA 8000 converters (channels 1 - 8) with the ADA 8200 and loaded a recording with tracks that spanned all 4 units. When I started playback I expected to hear the vocal tracks that went to the ADA 8200 start playback right away which I did.

However, I expected to still hear a delay in the tracks that went to the remaining ADA 8000 converters. There was no delay on any of the tracks. All tracks began playback as soon as I hit the space bar. I started and stopped playback a number of times with the same result.

I then removed the ADA 8200 again, reinstalled the ADA 8000 (channels 1 - 8) and loaded the same recording. With all ADA 8000 converters installed the playback delay on startup was back on all tracks.

As I understand it, the delay issue with this generation of ADA 8000 converters was the result of Behringer changing to the Cirrus Logic chip that went to sleep when playback was stopped. Perhaps it was a design decision rather than the chip itself. I don't recall but I believe that's why Bob added the dither option in SAC.

I wanted to repeat the test so I removed the same ADA 8000 (channels 1 - 8) and reinstalled the ADA 8200. I loaded the same recording, started playback and again, no delay on any of the tracks.

There is probability a simple explanation as to why this is working like this but it hasn't occurred to me yet. It seems if my only goal was to get rig of the delay when starting playback all I would have to do is just replace one of the ADA 8000 converters with an ADA 8200. Of course there are other benefits to the ADA 8200. Better preamps, power supply , ect.

Anyone else have a similar experience.

Default Re: Interesting Observation Testing ADA 8200

Interesting. Here are my thoughts (and I'm no expert):

1) I remember the dither fix for the ADA's as something that kept the unit from gating the audio; I don't remember anything about a start-up delay.

2) Could it be a clocking issue between the first ADA (acting as master) and your sound card? I.e., the 8200 interacts quicker with your sound card than the 8000 does?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I could have been more clear in how I described the delay in hearing audio the moment playback was started. This is an issue when using the second generation of ADA 8000 converters. Perhaps these two screen shots will help. The first image has the cursor at 11.699 seconds where playback is set to start . (The converters are asleep at this point)

Name:  Point Where Playback Starts.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  39.0 KB

The second image shows the cursor at 12.523 seconds and you can begin to hear audio on all tracks, about 1 second after playback is started. (The point where the converters wake up). This is a real pain when editing. When the first ADA 8000 (channels 1 - 8) is replaced with the ADA 8200 you hear audio from all converters on all tracks as soon as playback starts.

I didn't expect that result. I thought I would only hear audio on the first 8 tracks when playback started then hear the rest of the tracks about a second later. When Bob added the dither option in SAC it provided a way to keep the converters from going to sleep. That's not an option in Saw Studio unless I'm missing something.

Name:  Point Where Audio Is Heard.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  42.1 KB

Anyway, not a big deal since I am replacing all of the ADA 8000 converters. Not hearing audio when playback starts will no longer be an issue. I just didn't expect that by replacing one of the four ADA 8000 converters the remaining three would now behave differently. Not super important, just that inquiring minds would like to know why.

This is interesting in that I had the same symptom (delayed audio when playback is engaged) in SAWStudio on a Dell laptop when using the on-board audio. Using an external USB converter (Edirol) took care of the problem. I doubt it's related, but interestingly similar.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Not sure specifically what would cause your particular non-delay, but it seems to have fixed your startup delay so enjoy it.

On a separate note, I'd request that you don't post duplicates into the Forum. There is no need to post to both the SAC and SAW sections.

thanks,
    Last edited by cgrafx; 03-05-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

The delay on the old Behringers is just in the hardware itself... You are most likely listening to outputs 1 and 2 off the first Behringer... now the 8200... so the delay is gone because the new unit is working correctly... the delay has nothing to do with the multiple track playback, only the converters making the sound you are hearing... outs 1 and 2.

The playback has always started instantly on all tracks, but your monitoring on the old Behringer was delayed as the DACS ramped up from silence.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Not sure specifically what would cause your particular non-delay, but it seems to have fixed your startup delay so enjoy it.

On a separate note, I'd request that you don't post duplicates into the Forum. There is no need to post to both the SAC and SAW sections.

thanks,
    I'm not sure duplicate posts are always a bad idea. I don't have SAC and rarely visit that page. I imagine there are SAC users who don't have SS and rarely visit this one. Since the OP's issue related to both products, it seems to make sense to post both places. Perhaps I've misunderstood something.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    I'm not sure duplicate posts are always a bad idea. I don't have SAC and rarely visit that page. I imagine there are SAC users who don't have SS and rarely visit this one. Since the OP's issue related to both products, it seems to make sense to post both places. Perhaps I've misunderstood something.
    1. This was really a SAW studio question as it really doesn't affect SAC.
    2. For those of us that check the forum regularly by clicking on the "New Posts" link, its effectively spamming the board.
    3. Perhaps most important, it means responses are now split between two locations making the usefulness of the thread much less effective as answers are now spread across two different locations.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Hello,
    I am sure that no harm was intended, but have double posts does complicate things just a bit.
    So, if this is a SAW issue, and as Philip mentioned it does look to be so, then keep that content here and forget about SAC.
    PS: Just my $2.00 worth - inflation you know!!

Quote Originally Posted by William Bushnell View Post
    I could have been more clear in how I described the delay in hearing audio the moment playback was started. This is an issue when using the second generation of ADA 8000 converters. Perhaps these two screen shots will help. The first image has the cursor at 11.699 seconds where playback is set to start . (The converters are asleep at this point)

Name:  Point Where Playback Starts.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  39.0 KB

The second image shows the cursor at 12.523 seconds and you can begin to hear audio on all tracks, about 1 second after playback is started. (The point where the converters wake up). This is a real pain when editing. When the first ADA 8000 (channels 1 - 8) is replaced with the ADA 8200 you hear audio from all converters on all tracks as soon as playback starts.

I didn't expect that result. I thought I would only hear audio on the first 8 tracks when playback started then hear the rest of the tracks about a second later. When Bob added the dither option in SAC it provided a way to keep the converters from going to sleep. That's not an option in Saw Studio unless I'm missing something.

Name:  Point Where Audio Is Heard.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  42.1 KB

Anyway, not a big deal since I am replacing all of the ADA 8000 converters. Not hearing audio when playback starts will no longer be an issue. I just didn't expect that by replacing one of the four ADA 8000 converters the remaining three would now behave differently. Not super important, just that inquiring minds would like to know why.

Sorry I misunderstood, William.

Bob's explanation seems to make sense. Does that sound right to you? You're not playing back discrete tracks/output channels are you?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts