Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy First post having trouble blending sessions

this is my first post on this forum. We have been using saw for about 8 years at our church. knowing that we have barely been scratching the surface of what saw can do its now time to dive in. i have many questions but one at a time right. Ok so i am now using multi tracks in our services for the praise and worship in our church. I have each song setup with the same template and stored under their names. Trying to eliminate the awkward pause between songs i have been trying to figure out how to put sets together for each service. So i stumble upon blend session and i have been attempting to use that (i still wonder if there is another way)
    My problem is when i try to blend another session they all line up on the wrong channels that i have setup and i am wondering how to get them to line up on the same channels i created them on. also sometimes i get a notice/ that says sequence entries may only be place on input tracks. Please keep in mind i am the pastor of the church without much computer savy and no IT guy at the moment. What takes some of you 5 minutes could take me 5 hours to figure out. if this has been covered on this forum i couldnt find it Thank you in advance I will post my other questions 1 at a time as i have time. Anyone out there using saw for church like this?

Default Re: First post having trouble blending sessions

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Rob View Post
    this is my first post on this forum. We have been using saw for about 8 years at our church. knowing that we have barely been scratching the surface of what saw can do its now time to dive in. i have many questions but one at a time right. Ok so i am now using multi tracks in our services for the praise and worship in our church. I have each song setup with the same template and stored under their names. Trying to eliminate the awkward pause between songs i have been trying to figure out how to put sets together for each service. So i stumble upon blend session and i have been attempting to use that (i still wonder if there is another way)
    My problem is when i try to blend another session they all line up on the wrong channels that i have setup and i am wondering how to get them to line up on the same channels i created them on. also sometimes i get a notice/ that says sequence entries may only be place on input tracks. Please keep in mind i am the pastor of the church without much computer savy and no IT guy at the moment. What takes some of you 5 minutes could take me 5 hours to figure out. if this has been covered on this forum i couldnt find it Thank you in advance I will post my other questions 1 at a time as i have time. Anyone out there using saw for church like this?
    I don't think there is a way to avoid what is happening with blend session unless you had the various sessions on totally different channels. What you have experienced is what happens when I do that in SAW. Others may have a better answer. Are you using SAW for live mode? If so, the real answer to your problem in my opinion is to use SAC for live mixing. Perhaps explain more about how you are using SAW.

Cheers

Before starting the blend make sure you are on the first track of the multitrack. Blend will place the tracks starting at wherever track you were on before the blend. The sequence error happens when the blend is trying to put track data onto output tracks or the video track.
    Michael McInnis Productions

First... blending to do what you seem to be trying to do would want all sessions individually to be the same exact layout track wise... then you would be able to simply place the cursor on track 1 at thend of the first song and blend the next song session... as long as the track layout is the same.

But... in reality... I would suggest mixing each song separately in their own session edl... then putting the entire thing together in a brand new session where you simply line up the finished stereo mixdown from each song... then you can place and slide each stereo mixdown into any order and position between songs and then build the final mixdown from there.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    First... blending to do what you seem to be trying to do would want all sessions individually to be the same exact layout track wise... then you would be able to simply place the cursor on track 1 at thend of the first song and blend the next song session... as long as the track layout is the same.

But... in reality... I would suggest mixing each song separately in their own session edl... then putting the entire thing together in a brand new session where you simply line up the finished stereo mixdown from each song... then you can place and slide each stereo mixdown into any order and position between songs and then build the final mixdown from there.

Bob L
    +1 I would suggest doing it this was as well.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

If you did what Bob was suggesting and mix down a stereo file for each song that you have, you could put all those songs into a single directory folder. Then you could create a session with a Library view that points to the directory of mixed songs (save that session as a template). Then, from the Library view, link the particular songs you want to use to the regions view, and then add them to the multi-track in the order and spacing you wish. You can save your session and you're ready to go. If you're not sure how to do this, let us know.

Kent
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post

Bob L
    Mix Templates are your friend if you want to apply the same or a similar mix across different song recordings. Get the songs into separate edls, with a consistent track order across the edls (eg kick always on track 1, snare on track 2, etc). Then mix the first song to taste. Go to File, Mix Template File, Save. Then, for the next song, open that Mix Template File and you will have the same mix settings as for the first song. Obviously, you can tweak the settings after that, which would be rather more difficult using a Blend Session approach.

Question Re: First post having trouble blending sessions

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Callaway View Post
    I don't think there is a way to avoid what is happening with blend session unless you had the various sessions on totally different channels. What you have experienced is what happens when I do that in SAW. Others may have a better answer. Are you using SAW for live mode? If so, the real answer to your problem in my opinion is to use SAC for live mixing. Perhaps explain more about how you are using SAW.

Cheers
    Ok this happens to you as well, What other wrote about creating a template, making sure they are all the same channel etc is exactly what i did, and it sounds like what you did. Why will they not line up???? and be on the same channel????? (yet some do)? i am sorry i didnt explain more on the first post i will now and if you need more explanation please let me know.
    We have sac as our console, We use saw to record 32 channels with sac on main computer. I have a alienware laptop on stage which i run saw on as well to play my multitracks. What other have said, including Bob, is to mix down and play them that way. My problem is i never know who might not show up and i dont have time to do another mix down of each song. So what i did what just kept the multitracks with all the tracks on there and if the bass player doesnt show up i just unmute the bass track. It worked great except for that little pause between each song where everyone was thinking i was checking my email during service lol so i tried blend session. blend session has not worked how i had hoped. Maybe we are doing something wrong because it soounds like others can do it on there setup. If need be i can make a video of my experience if anyone would like to see what happens.

This mutli track approach i am doing works great for rehearsals as well so if someone doesn't know their part i can just un-mute it for them and turn it up if need be. If there is some other way to do it im all ears. thats why i asked if anyone was using this for worship in church I tried this with another daw (abl%^&&) and it would just crash trying to run all the multi tracks at once. saw can do it i'm just not sure how i can get rid of the "PAUSE". the 'PAUSE" though very powerful in speeches and or sermons can be a big hindrance. thank in advance for all the help

A possible temporary workaround, until you get the blend session ordeal worked out (seem to me that you should eventually, so have heart) -

There are times when I have needed to keep two instances of SAW open (for things like comparing tracks in similar sessions, or to check a rehearsal recording against the concert, etc.) - I haven't tried more than 2 instances - maybe I did 3 instances of full multitrack recordings before with no issues on my antiquated PIV Windows XP desktop - I have not tried this with SAC as the front end mixer.

But I wonder if you could keep 2 instances of SAW opened at the same time, assigning SAW tracks from the 2 instances to different SAC channels (if that's how you're using SAW now, by feeding its output, or tracks into SAC).
    This might allow you to preload 2 songs, alternating between the two SAW sessions and taking a moment or two to load new songs every two songs, or maybe even more depending on how many instances of SAW your computer can handle...... I mean, they're not all playing at the same time.

It's something to try out at a rehearsal, or something maybe. And hopefully you'll get the blend session thing worked out in the meantime.

Cool Re: First post having trouble blending sessions

PROBLEM SOLVED! Ok happy to say i just figured out what i needed to change for it to work. Since i had pulled in the channel order from sac the order of the channels was not 1,2,3,4,5 etc but rather 21,02,13 or whatever. Even though the names of the channels and the order of the channels were the same from one multitrack to the next for some reason it looks like it is required to have the channels in original order (1.2.3.4.5 etc) to get it to work. Thanks everyone for the help i am so excited now i will be able to get rid of the pause. Im thiniking some type of footswitch would evn be better since i set it up to stop at the end of the song i only need a switch to start the next song. Any ideas ? i have many more things to address and when i get some time i will thanks again
    Last edited by Pastor Rob; 04-05-2018 at 10:58 PM. Reason: PROBLEM SOLVED