Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: OT recommended audio player?

Maybe you are running foobar with administrator rights. Make sure that the box next to the "run as admiistrator" in the properties>compatibility is unticked.

Quote Originally Posted by Reujonik View Post
    Maybe you are running foobar with administrator rights. Make sure that the box next to the "run as admiistrator" in the properties>compatibility is unticked.
    ...and maybe in "compatibility mode for Win XP"...
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    When I right-click on a selected sound file and select "play in foobar2000" from the menu, foobar2000 never opens. If I first open foobar2000 and attempt to drag and drop the file into the UI, I get that circle-with-line-through-it symbol that indicates "file can't go here". This is in Windows10 Pro. I have the Home version on my laptop, and couldn't use foobar there either.
    FWIW, for me, method #1, above, works fine. And method #2 works (loads the sound file into Foobar2000, ready for playback) so long as I drop the file below the various toolbars. I get the circle-with-a-line-through-it above that point, and the "creating shortcut" icon below that point, before the drop. But it works.

Seems like a Foobar install or configuration issue within Windows to me. Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling? I have Foobar2000 set up as my default audio player (double-click on a sound file in File Explorer), FWIW.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Reujonik View Post
    Yes, that's what I was doing. I unchecked the box, and foobar operated normally.

Almost.

During playback, I will get an occasional "click" noise. These happen just one at a time, at random intervals, never less than a few seconds apart, usually more than a minute or so apart. I could back up and replay the same part of the file, and the click would not be there, so I know it was not in the file itself.

So, I installed Resonic and tested it. I got it to play files, and had the exact same random click problem. This suggests that the fault is not with either foobar or resonic.

I spent some time working with SawStudio. During that time, I did not get any of these random clicks. I have "force real time priority" set in SAW. I'm not sure, but I think that before I made that change I was getting occasional random clicks during playback from SAW.

So now I have new questions: Is there some change I can make in Windows 10 to make it "play nice" better with these applications? I have already done all of the recommended tweaks, including the best approximation I can make from Bob's instructions, plus trimming processes according to the latest Black Viper list and the suggestions that Sweetwater posts for computer optimization.

Or, is there some application I don't know about that gets around whatever crap W10 is imposing?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Yes, that's what I was doing. I unchecked the box, and foobar operated normally.

Almost.

During playback, I will get an occasional "click" noise.
    Just a thought: have you tried out the different audio device options in Foobar2000? Different drivers sometimes will behave differently.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts