Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: OT: RME Wordclock

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    For a live sound setup, if no recording is being made with the same system (as in a SAC/SAW link), I wouldn't worry.

However if one is also recording with the system, and the recording might be for serious use, we don't know that the recording WON'T be heard with a serious and accurate system somewhere else. I can usually get along with only the ADAT connection carrying the clock, but if one has the luxury of taking the extra trouble, it doesn't hurt to be sure. I've done it both ways, depending on system and circumstance.

In my current portable recording system, where my small rack has a Presonus Digimax FS feeding a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 using ADAT optical, I use the internal clock of the Digimax FS as master. Yes, I have to set the clock rate in the Digimax, the Scarlett and in SawStudio, but I go to the extra trouble and I'm happy to do so. This has worked well for me.
    The question is does it actually make any difference. My highly educated guess is no, but you've spent the effort to setup your system that way, so if it works for you that's great.

I prefer the added flexibility I get with a clock that can be controlled from within SAC/SAW.

I'm 100% certain my recordings would not sound any better using an externally connected COAX clock and I have 4 ADA8200 interfaces, so I can't let them clock themselves.

Acoustic treatment, proper mic placement, and quality musicianship play an infinitely more important role.

Again in the context of the question asked, there is no need for mr_es335 to worry about shoe-horning in a space for the daughter RME card just so he can connect an external word clock to his ADAxxxx.

Also in the context of the question asked, my opinion and that of a lot of others (including Bob L) is to set the RME card as the master clock source and let the software control the clock speed.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 04-03-2018 at 04:38 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Acoustic treatment, proper mic placement, and quality musicianship play an infinitely more important role.
    I completely agree about that.

Again in the context of the question asked, there is no need for mr_es335 to worry about shoe-horning in a space for the daughter RME card just so he can connect an external word clock to his ADAxxxx.
    Yes, for what I understand he is doing, he should not need separate word clock for his setup. If he is recording his gigs, though, he might want to make the converter box the clock master. Not a big difference, but small differences accumulate in the recording process.

Also in the context of the question asked, my opinion and that of a lot of others (including Bob L) is to set the RME card as the master clock source and let the software control the clock speed.
    Which is, in fact, what I have done most of the time, and I did that at least some of the time when I used an RME interface.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Hello,

Thanks to both Philip and Carey for your helping me in getting this matter all sorted out.

Since I believe that 1) I will never have a need to change the clock settings from 44.1, and 2) since am I only planning on using a single ADA, I will 3) go with the ADA as "slave" and the RME as "Master".

So, thank you both again for your invaluable assistance. It is always very much appreciated.

lol like a BOSS
    You're awesome!!!!

Sir, You've just did the opposite of what they've advised you to do lol

shortened down....
    - use ADA clock if you use only 1 unit
    - if multiple units used, then go for RME clock or
    - use COAX from ADA1 Set as Master - into ADA2 - ADA3 - RME Card
    why? Because, if you some problems with droputs accouring on a live gig ,
    it's probably that clocks can't sync...

I can confirm that my rig is more stable with ADA's clock than with RME's,
    why??? probably some few things but I don't care, it's Behringer ADA and a
    discontinued RME card....pfffffffff

While using my Lynx Arora16 converter in the studio, the company advises you
    to use the the internal clock of the converter box, than the one that is in the
    PCI Lynx Aes16 Card, and all because of jitter.

Guess they know something.....

Cheers!

Blog Entries

operationwhat,
    Sir, You've just did the opposite of what they've advised you to do lol
    ...Am I seriously missing something here? operationwhat, what in the world are you talking about?

Who are the "they" that you are referring to here? There has been two apparently opposite views presented here, one for Philip, and one from Cary.

From cgrafx:
    I gather that you - operationwhat, are saying that the ADA should be master and the RME the slave??
    Last edited by mr_es335; 04-05-2018 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Keep in mind the question relates to a $175 Behringer 8-channel AD/DA that is being used for live sound (thats just a little under $11/ch).
    Wha... ?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts