Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Short "ducking" to the reverb return

Hello,

This did look intriguing...but I guess it is "dead".

I will move on...

PS: I did try Bob's delay effect - and it was interesting...it would be nice to compare this with the "parallel' idea.

Is there a difference between 'Predelay' in the reverb and using a delay for the return?
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

Quote Originally Posted by TomyN View Post
    Is there a difference between 'Predelay' in the reverb and using a delay for the return?
    With the same amount of delay, assuming unity gain through the delay, the result in sound would be exactly the same. Putting the delay before the reverb may well have come about at least partly because for most reverb devices the send was mono and the return was stereo. If you put the delay on the send side, you only needed one channel of it. If you put it in the return side, you needed two channels of delay. All the way around, it was just easier to put the delay before the reverb device. There is actually no reason at all to put the delay after instead of before.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Cary,

So, you are saying then that Bob's suggestion of, "by simply placing a pre-delay before the reverb return using the echo-delay plug in front of the reverb and drop the dry sound down on the plugin...with a delay of 20-40 ms...would hold back the gtr from the reverb allowing the attacks to slide thru dry... then the reverb would be applied to the rest of the gtr sound. Adjusting the dry signal to various levels will give you just the right flavor of attack"...would work then? And so, no need for all the bus creation and parallel compression?

The extra benefit of the method I suggested is that you can blend the dry fader on my echo delay plugin back into the mix to fine tune the effect of the pre-delay... all the way out leaves a complete dry attack and then a full reverb effect after the delay... but blending the dry fader back in half way or more creates a half wet attack and then a full wet after the delay... lots of options there.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Cary,

So, you are saying then that Bob's suggestion of, "by simply placing a pre-delay before the reverb return using the echo-delay plug in front of the reverb and drop the dry sound down on the plugin...with a delay of 20-40 ms...would hold back the gtr from the reverb allowing the attacks to slide thru dry... then the reverb would be applied to the rest of the gtr sound. Adjusting the dry signal to various levels will give you just the right flavor of attack"...would work then? And so, no need for all the bus creation and parallel compression?
    If you only played one note or chord, then waited for the reverb decay to be done before playing the next note or chord, then yes, Bob's suggestion of predelay instead would work perfectly. But for most regular things one does with guitar, you will be playing more notes while the reverb tail on earlier notes is still decaying. For long decays, I would say you need to duck the return if you are pushing the reverb level up.

I understand about confusion with the method of doing this. It's been a while since I used SAC, and I'd have to dig into it to figure this out, but I'm pretty sure it can be done if you have Levelizer (IIRC, there is no built-in dynamics on Return channels, so you'd need to insert a Levelizer).
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com