Close

Default Help with New Build

I am a SAC owner and SawLite owner since 2009... I am replacing a computer and wanted to get some help from the forum as I am a music person more than a computer person.
    You will probably recognize the motherboard I am using as it is the same the Bob uses and recommends, but my Windows XP installation is crapping out (blue screen of death) half way through the installation. I removed the SSD drive I listed below tried again using a "regular" drive and it got further in the process but the results were the same.

There is a strange power cycling the seems to be going on when I fire things up, almost like a car that won't start. Crank, pause, crank, pause, etc for 15 seconds then it loads up.

I was hoping to get some help from some of the more computer savy people on the forum. I've put together these systems in the past and everything just loaded right up.

System Components:

ASUS P8B75-M/CSM LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i3-3240 Dual-Core Processor 3.4 Ghz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i33240

Crucial BX300 240GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD - CT240BX300SSD1

Crucial 4GB Kit (2GBx2) DDR3L 1600 MT/s (PC3L-12800) Unbuffered UDIMM Memory CT2K25664BD160B

Any direction is appreciated.

SAC 48 Channels - SawStudio Full - MIDI Workshop

Default Re: Help with New Build

Boy that sounds weird. I will offer my two cents if I was going to repair or build etc. Hard drives make those noises when they are bad, but not the solid state. Make sure there are no wires dangling around the fans etc and tied off. Do a visual inspection and try to isolate where the sound is coming from with the cover off on boot up.
    Are you using a CD of XP and is your DVD/CD player functioning properly. You say you are getting part way thru the install goes weird. Could be the CD is bad or player. Make sure the processor fan is working correct. If the cpu is overheating it will shutdown. Sometimes wires dangle into the cpu fan and it makes weird noises. If they are shutting the fan off, then the cpu is overheating and shutting down the system. Sometimes you can get bad memory sticks. If you are using Xp 32 bit, pull the memory out and just leave 1 stick in and if it locks up, try the other and see if it works.
    Sounds like your CD/DVD drive is not working right, unless you are installing from a thumb drive. This is why you might not be getting many answers, because unless someone is building it themselves that is knowledgeable like myself, it can be a head scratcher if your not there doing it. Make sure the fan is working on your power supply also. Your XP disk could be bad. Try another. I think I would stick with the SSD and have the other as the 2nd. Depending on your amount of software, and plugins, I would partition the SSD accordingly to how much you feel you will use for the system and OS partition. If all else fails, take it out to your friendly low ball computer repair. So many things, any part can be bad. I hope this helps on your inspection and hair pulling. Good luck. I dont get on the forum much, so this is about all I can really think of unless my hands were on it.????

Default Re: Help with New Build

Hi;
    I would suggest looking in the bios and changing the AHCI mode to IDE or something like that,
    you would have to reinstall XP again, but I would say that is the problem going by the symptoms you describe!
    What happens is: It lets you partially install the OS when it comes to the first reboot it can't read the disk and keeps rebooting!
    From memory there is a way around this by installing a driver when first installing the OS but can't recall exactly how to do this,
    It will work using IDE in the Bios though!
    Hope this helps!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...ller_Interface

Cheers
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com