Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Newest Ryzen processor with windows 7 and sawstudio?

The advantage is that it opens up system memory. I just found my system to be more stabie when not hitting the limits of 32bit memory. It*s a little tweaky, but runs better on my computer.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Dave... the UAD plugins may be leaking memory and as time goes on... more and more memory is locked out slowing everything down to a crawl until the programs are shutdown and memory is freed again.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Just a thought here guys, I bought a 2010 Mac Pro quad core 2.8 and 7gb ram for $597 shipped in awesome condition. I then upgraded to 32gb ram for $89 free shipping. I installed win7 on it and it is a absolute rock solid screamer. It's all about the hardware and the drivers. I have the latest MacOS and Win7 for very little investment and I can still upgrade it to a 6 core cpu. Love my WinMac!

Last edited by Microstudio; 04-22-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    More and more I'm liking the idea of a dedicated DAW machine, which I've not yet enjoyed in this lifetime.
    Thats what I've tried to do Dave. No typical desktop apps installed at all, just other applications used in the recording/mastering/CD burning process. I should add video production apps as well.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Callaway View Post
    Thats what I've tried to do Dave. No typical desktop apps installed at all, just other applications used in the recording/mastering/CD burning process. I should add video production apps as well.

Cheers
    Nice. How's the ride so far?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Nice. How's the ride so far?
    Its been very good Dave. For recording, I use 1 x 32 buffers with RME using SAC/Sawstudio and that has been very stable. For mixing and mastering, I increase the buffers to 1024 using Sawstudio only. The only gliches are caused by adding too many plugins at the same time. I bought a powerful Intel CPU (dont have the model in specs in front of me) a few years ago and it still works like a dream. In the case of too many plugins causing problems (Drumagog is a good example), I render separate files for channels that have CPU hungry plugins, add the rendered file to the channel and remove the plugins. Pretty simple stuff that I am sure everyone else does as well.

Its been very good Dave. For recording, I use 1 x 32 buffers with RME using SAC/Sawstudio and that has been very stable. For mixing and mastering, I increase the buffers to 1024 using Sawstudio only. The only gliches are caused by adding too many plugins at the same time. I bought a powerful Intel CPU (dont have the model in specs in front of me) a few years ago and it still works like a dream. In the case of too many plugins causing problems (Drumagog is a good example), I render separate files for channels that have CPU hungry plugins, add the rendered file to the channel and remove the plugins. Pretty simple stuff that I am sure everyone else does as well.
    Cool. Yeah, I need to do that dedicated machine thing.

Why do you up the buffers in post-production? Do all the plug-ins require that kind of latency?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Why do you up the buffers in post-production? Do all the plug-ins require that kind of latency?
    Once I enter the mixing stage, I add a lot more plugins than during recording. I try to keep Sawstudio as "uncluttered" as possible when recording. From experience, the more plugins I use, the more buffers I need. Some of these plugins do tend to use a lot more CPU and buffers than others. If I don't increase the buffers, I will get an error message or Sawstudio will freeze. Again Drumagog is a culprit in that regard. The Sonoris mastering plugins are other examples of plugins requiring a lot more buffers.

During mixing, I also use Melodyne (usually standalone) for editing vocal and instruments pitching. I find that Melodyne is best used with a increased buffers as well. So increasing the buffer size generally means that Sawstudio with all the plugins works fine. The increase in latency is not an issue is no recording is taking place.

Cheers

Once I enter the mixing stage, I add a lot more plugins than during recording. I try to keep Sawstudio as "uncluttered" as possible when recording. From experience, the more plugins I use, the more buffers I need. Some of these plugins do tend to use a lot more CPU and buffers than others. If I don't increase the buffers, I will get an error message or Sawstudio will freeze. Again Drumagog is a culprit in that regard. The Sonoris mastering plugins are other examples of plugins requiring a lot more buffers.

During mixing, I also use Melodyne (usually standalone) for editing vocal and instruments pitching. I find that Melodyne is best used with a increased buffers as well. So increasing the buffer size generally means that Sawstudio with all the plugins works fine. The increase in latency is not an issue is no recording is taking place.

Cheers

If you use SAC as your front end for SAW Studio, you don't have to swap configurations / make buffer size changes.

Leave SAW Studio at the default buffer size (which I believe is 4x1024) and let SAC do the low latency heavy lifting at 1x32.

You get the benefit of low latency monitoring and playback and the relaxed buffer settings to allow SAW studio to run more plugins or plugins that required higher buffer settings.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    If you use SAC as your front end for SAW Studio, you don't have to swap configurations / make buffer size changes.

Leave SAW Studio at the default buffer size (which I believe is 4x1024) and let SAC do the low latency heavy lifting at 1x32.

You get the benefit of low latency monitoring and playback and the relaxed buffer settings to allow SAW studio to run more plugins or plugins that required higher buffer settings.
    I tried using that setup and Sonoris mastering plugins among others cause problems. FWIW, I also found that getting midi connections to Sawstudio for MWS wont work when SAC is loaded. So to record MWS files, I only have Sawstudio running.