Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newest Ryzen processor with windows 7 and sawstudio?

Hi,

I am getting another computer and avoiding windows 10, as I read here it doesn't work well with SAW. Someone can make me one (specs below) and put windows 7 on it. he said the only issue between the newest AMD RYZEN is a popup from Microsoft that one can disable. I also found an older music machine at B&H that already has windows 7 on it, and is slightly faster than my old machine. the new Ryzen build is much faster, at i7 speed.

I am looking to get this in a few days. Just wanted to check that the new Ryzen with windows 7 would be okay with SAW.

Details below.

Thanks

NEW BUILD:

AMD RYZEN 5 2400G Quad-Core 3.6 GHz (3.9 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD2400C5FBBOX Desktop Processor with RX VEGA

LINK TO NEW BUILD: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Protools-Re...item28575f4ec3

WHAT BUILDER ADVISED: "One more thing I do need to mention. AMD, Intel, and Microsoft no longer provide support for Windows 7 on their Ryzen or newer 6th, 7th, or 8th Gen Intel CPUs. They claim Microsoft doesn't support it, but I have been installing Windows 7 on them for the past year and customers haven't had issues other than an annoying popup from MicroSoft that says CPU is no longer supported but you can manually uninstall that warning. The last CPUs supported would be the older AMD FM2 APUs, Am3 CPUS or 5th Gen Intels which would be drastic reduction in performance. I can switch to one of those older systems if you prefer to avoid this, but wanted to give you the heads up before we do this. I honestly don't believe you'll run across any compatibility issues with the Ryzen running Windows 7."

LINK TO OLDER MUSICXPC machine at B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...roduction.html

Default Re: Newest Ryzen processor with windows 7 and sawstudio?

I just went through a new pc build myself, with a Ryzen 6 core processor. i was going to install Win7 and learned the hard way that I could not, because 7 no longer supports the newest hardware (lack of proper drivers). You either have to go with older hardware or give in and go with Win10. I did the latter, since I had already assembled the new machine. Yes, Win10 is a PITA to set up properly for SawStudio (or real-time processing in general), but my new build does work fine with SawStudio so far. I still have some kinks to iron out with the new system, but the facts are there now.

Again, either you go with older hardware to work with Win7 or you put up with Windows10 if you have to have the new stuff, such as the Ryzen processor.

I believe some others here are also now using SawStudio with Windows10, and at least one user has reported acceptable performance with that combination on either this or the SAC forum.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

God news about Windows 10. I don't see much on here about Windows 8.1. I have two 8.1 machines that run SAC/SAW very well. It did take some tweaking but hey are solid and one runs SAC/SAW at 2x32 with no issues.

FWIW, I have been using Windows 10 with SAC and Sawstudio since Windows 10 appeared and have had no problems. I applied the Windows tweaks that were applicable. Not sure why people think it wont work.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Callaway View Post
    FWIW, I have been using Windows 10 with SAC and Sawstudio since Windows 10 appeared and have had no problems. I applied the Windows tweaks that were applicable. Not sure why people think it wont work.

Cheers
    Same experience here. My remote recording machine and SAC are running on Win 10, but I still have trusty old Win XP on the studio machine. All are working beautifully.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    Same experience here. My remote recording machine and SAC are running on Win 10, but I still have trusty old Win XP on the studio machine. All are working beautifully.
    I'm with Richard and Bruce. Windows 10 x64 working fine here with one caveat: UAD plug-ins in a session cause edit wait time (i.e., the time it takes for the edit to execute after hitting the relevant key -- say, K for a region split) to increase over time starting from when SAW was opened. The more UAD plug-ins in the session, the more pronounced this effect. Example: with lots of UAD plug-ins instantiated in a session, after about ten minutes of editing, I'm waiting well over a second for each edit operation to execute. Work-around: close and re-open SAW. Wash and repeat.

I would also mention that I did the relevant OS tweaks per Bob and chased down a few background processes that were hassling "the ride." More and more I'm liking the idea of a dedicated DAW machine, which I've not yet enjoyed in this lifetime.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 04-19-2018 at 09:18 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Dave,

My guess is the UAD plugs take time to save their settings... and the more of them, the more time to save... each time you do an edit command, SAW creates an undo file and all the plugs have to save their settings by passing the info to SAW... I would bet if you turn off the auto-edl undo option in SAWs Options menu, the delay goes away... of course you are no longer creating automatic undo files... but you could work that way and then force undo snapshots along the way whenever you want.

Bob L

My guess is that you are pushing into virtual memory. I use tons of UAD without these issues, but I am using 64bit versions with jBridge.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Dave,

My guess is the UAD plugs take time to save their settings... and the more of them, the more time to save... each time you do an edit command, SAW creates an undo file and all the plugs have to save their settings by passing the info to SAW... I would bet if you turn off the auto-edl undo option in SAWs Options menu, the delay goes away... of course you are no longer creating automatic undo files... but you could work that way and then force undo snapshots along the way whenever you want.

Bob L
    Bob -- interesting theory. I believe when I've tried that trick in the past (per your suggestion), it worked. But I'll have to verify that.

Still, though, that wouldn't explain the fact that the wait time increases over time, would it? Same number of UAD plug-ins allow for near-instantaneous edit operations when SAW is first opened, but after ten minutes of editing, the wait is over a second for each edit. I would add, for what it's worth, that this happens even when I'm only editing a single track of the many tracks that have the plug-ins, and making no changes to any plug-in settings. I suppose you're saying that they all have to save their settings, regardless. Just adding some info.

My for-now fix as been to not open a mix template with a zillion UAD plugs on various tracks if I'm doing a simple voice-over (one or two tracks), which is the bulk of my work these days. The issue is way, way, way less pronounced that way.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 04-20-2018 at 09:33 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    My guess is that you are pushing into virtual memory. I use tons of UAD without these issues, but I am using 64bit versions with jBridge.
    Do you mean a system swap file, Michael? I have virtual memory turned off on my machine, FWIW. 8 GB RAM.

Good guess, though, I'd think.

JBridge, huh? Maybe I'll look into that approach. Thanks.

Curious -- are you using JBrige with UAD plugs specifically for the 64-bit capability? What benefits (aside from my issue) do you see? I ask because it seems it would be much simpler to just use the 32-bit versions.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 04-20-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts