Close

Default How to reduce (or eliminate) echo/reverb

Hi, all. I recorded a number of interviews with an elderly man in the only room available, which was very live. The resulting tracks have lots of echo/reverb. Is there a way to minimize or even eliminate that echo without buying an expensive plug-in? If not, which plug-in is best for the least money?

Many thanks.

Roger

Default Re: How to reduce (or eliminate) echo/reverb

Sadly, drying out a "wet" track is almost impossible. I have lost count of the number of times I have heard interview segments in radio, TV or film from reverberant spaces. Sometimes all you can do is go with what you got, and try to do better next time. In a really live space, there is no substitute for good mic placement.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by radiorog View Post
    Hi, all. I recorded a number of interviews with an elderly man in the only room available, which was very live. The resulting tracks have lots of echo/reverb. Is there a way to minimize or even eliminate that echo without buying an expensive plug-in? If not, which plug-in is best for the least money?

Many thanks.

Roger
    There is very little that can be done effectively without programs (plugins) specifically designed to do reverse convolution.

- Acon Digital DeVerberate
    - Zynaptic Unveil
    - SPL De-Verb Plus

Not sure there really is a best plugin, but there are plenty of tutorials/reviews of all of these plugins on youtube.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

izotope Deverb is also good. I do run all Izotope plugins 64 bit wrapped with jbridge for SAW.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    There is very little that can be done effectively without programs (plugins) specifically designed to do reverse convolution.

- Acon Digital DeVerberate
    - Zynaptic Unveil
    - SPL De-Verb Plus

Not sure there really is a best plugin, but there are plenty of tutorials/reviews of all of these plugins on youtube.
    +1... I've used the SPL De-Verb plugin, as well as the iZotope processing. At $79, the SPL isn't overly expensive and does a good job.

I've used Zynaptiq Unveil. It can help a lot, but typically at the expense of the fidelity of the source. That said, interview- or dialogue-type productions can be fairly forgiving in that regard.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Many thanks, everybody. Looks like Izotope RX will work best for this. Not perfect, but then I guess northing else is either.

Roger

I used Acon Digital DeVerberate successfully to minimize a very reverberant audio clip of a priest in a large cathedral for a wedding ceremony. We shoot a lot of weddings and it's rare that we can get a priest to wear a lav mic so we're stuck with what we can capture from the house system or from the groom's mic.
    Mike Bizanovich
    Wheeling, WV

Like Mike, I was surprised how well Acon Digital DeVerberate worked for the affordability. G'Luck with the process.

-Bill

" It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Though not made for derevereration, SPL Transient Designer sometimes has been just the thing to pull reverb out of certain signals.
    Michael McInnis Productions