Close

Question [SOLVED] OT: Win 10 april update broke recording

Hi,
    We updated two Win 10 machines at work, to the april 2018 update. Since then, I can't record audio. Playback works fine, the sound cards seem to work, but when I press "Record" I get error messages.

I've tried different sound cards (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 usb, M-audio delta 44, both worked fine before (completely uninstalled one when testing the other)) and different audio programs (SAW Studio, Hindenburg, Audacity).

I get a signal in the M-Audio control panel, but still can't start record. The error message differs between programs, but something like "cannot initialize sound card. Check device settings".
    I've set programs and sound cards to 16 bit, 44.1kHz. In Windows sound settings, it's also set to 16 bit, 44.1kHz. As I said, playback works fine.

I did a rollback on one of the computers, and then it worked again.

Does anyone have a clue?
    Last edited by Marvin; 05-16-2018 at 02:10 AM.
    "It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black." - Nigel Tufnel

Default Re: OT: Win 10 april update broke recording

Well, problem solved

It seems that the issue was tied to Windows microphone privacy settings. I had turned off app access to the microphone. When I allowed this, everything seems to work.
    I'm using sound cards with line in, and an external mic amp, but it seems this setting stops programs from accessing any audio in, good to know.
    "It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black." - Nigel Tufnel

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Well, problem solved

It seems that the issue was tied to Windows microphone privacy settings. I had turned off app access to the microphone. When I allowed this, everything seems to work.
    I'm using sound cards with line in, and an external mic amp, but it seems this setting stops programs from accessing any audio in, good to know.
    Thanks for the post! Always helpful to get first-hand info on these things.

I had a somewhat similar problem with the latest Win 10 update myself.... Suddenly I had no sound through my UAD Apollo unit. I first thought that Thunderbolt had stopped working but it turned out though that it was the UAD drivers that were kicked out. Win 10 said the drivers were not compatible and no compatible drivers were available? I then found that my UAD meter and control panel showed an error with drivers and pointed me to the UAD help file on this. Going to the UA site I found a tutorial on how to completely unistall and then reinstall all the drivers and software. This fixed the problem. So good so far.

Glad both instances were resolved.

BUT... this led me to consider getting a new drive imaging program for Win 10. Anybody have any recommendations for that? What is considered a good one at this point in time? Thanks!

Blog Entries

Perry,

Acronis 2016 or Macrium works for me.

Once installed, create a bootable USB.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Perry,

Acronis 2016 or Macrium works for me.

Once installed, create a bootable USB.
    THANKS! I had Acronis way back, just checked and got an update up to the 2018 version for 29.99! The free version of Macrium looks pretty good too.. I also downloaded that. I should be good to go!