Close

Default OT: Running new programs on XP?

Hoping I can find a way to run my new Boss MS-3 librarian program (meant for Windows 10) on my laptop, which is still on XP. Google is no help. Anyone know if there's a way?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: Running new programs on XP?

Dave,

Some info:
    SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS - OS: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 10, Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 8.1 or Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7. Also, the MS-3 Editor/Librarian uses Adobe Air.
    SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS - AIR: Microsoft® Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, or Windows 8.1 Classic or Windows 10 - 64bit.

From what I have been able to glean, the Boss app and Adobe Air are 64-bit only. So, without have a system here to test it, it looks to be a no-go.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

Some info:
    SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS - OS: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 10, Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 8.1 or Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7. Also, the MS-3 Editor/Librarian uses Adobe Air.
    SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS - AIR: Microsoft® Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, or Windows 8.1 Classic or Windows 10 - 64bit.

From what I have been able to glean, the Boss app and Adobe Air are 64-bit only. So, without have a system here to test it, it looks to be a no-go.
    Interesting. I would think it odd for Boss to limit the use of their librarian program to 64-bit users, only.

Notwithstanding a 64-bit limitation, have you ever heard of a program or method for running Windows 10 applications on Windows XP?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Interesting. I would think it odd for Boss to limit the use of their librarian program to 64-bit users, only.

Notwithstanding a 64-bit limitation, have you ever heard of a program or method for running Windows 10 applications on Windows XP?
    Short answer is no. Its not going to be possible. Win10 applications make use of Win10 OS libraries and API functionality that doesn't exist in XP.

A program designed to make use of those resources will simply not work, and the only way to get those resources is to use win10.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Dave,
    ...They are not the only ones doing this.

Many, many others are opting for 64-bit usage only. And not only that, this is for the current 64-bit iterations...so even Windows XP 64-bit can no longer be used.

As Philip stated, current Windows applications make use of libraries and other such API functionality that simply does not exist in these earlier environments.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Short answer is no. Its not going to be possible. Win10 applications make use of Win10 OS libraries and API functionality that doesn't exist in XP.

A program designed to make use of those resources will simply not work, and the only way to get those resources is to use win10.
    Dang. Well, thanks. I guess.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,
    ...They are not the only ones doing this.

Many, many others are opting for 64-bit usage only. And not only that, this is for the current 64-bit iterations...so even Windows XP 64-bit can no longer be used.

As Philip stated, current Windows applications make use of libraries and other such API functionality that simply does not exist in these earlier environments.
    Yeah, that even makes intuitive sense. I guess I was hoping for some utility that someone has created to "port" the new stuff back to the old OS, perhaps referencing the missing libraries, etc., of which you speak. I suppose that would be a licensing breach of some kind, though. It's not like Windows is open source.
    Becket, Massachusetts