Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: AUX: A Scenario and a Question

Wet and dry mix would be if you were patching an effect directly into a channel, and EVERYTHING was going through this, like on a guitar stomp box. You just want a little reverb.
    For Bus effects, set it to all wet, so that when you put your source channel AUX slider up, and the sound comes back in on the Return track, all you're adding is pure reverb.
    The fader on the return track just makes it easy to use one reverb for a bunch of tracks, in varying amounts for each. And then tweak the overall wetness.
    Somehow I think you know all this. So maybe I'm not understanding the question.

Quote Originally Posted by studio-c View Post
    Wet and dry mix would be if you were patching an effect directly into a channel, and EVERYTHING was going through this, like on a guitar stomp box. You just want a little reverb.
    For Bus effects, set it to all wet, so that when you put your source channel AUX slider up, and the sound comes back in on the Return track, all you're adding is pure reverb.
    The fader on the return track just makes it easy to use one reverb for a bunch of tracks, in varying amounts for each. And then tweak the overall wetness.
    Somehow I think you know all this. So maybe I'm not understanding the question.
    Who you talkin' to, Willis?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

In this scenario, I have the AUX1 level at 00.00, the Return fader level at 00.00 and the plug-in full wet. Enabling AUX1, I now hear an increase in the output. This, at least to me, does not really make any sense!

I simply want to send the main signal to the Return - adjusting the amount of signal sent to the Return via the AUX1 level fader.

Maybe I should be asking the question, "Then what is the intended purpose of the Return level fader?"
    Hi,

make sure that the plug-in is working correctly. There are plug-ins were you can the wet and dry volume separately (or you just can toggle dry on/off).
    For example in the studio delay plugin which comes with SAC you have to move both wet sliders fully to the right and the vertical slider all the way down to get the wet signal only.
    For me the AUX (audio-) path in SAC always works as expected.

Tomy
    Last edited by TomyN; 06-06-2018 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Added some text
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Who you talkin' to, Willis?
    The original question, I think...

Blog Entries

Hello,

Okay...here is where I am at.

I am using either Valhalla's VintageVerb or Room reverbs.

Other reverbs that I have used have a Wet/Dry and Output controls, but the Valhalla reverbs do not.
    Apparently, the Valhalla reverbs are designed to be used only as AUX/Return effects and not as insert effects.
    * See here: Using Sends In An Analog Environment

I posted a query on the KVR Valhalla forum which can be seen here: Wet/Dry Controls

I must admit I was not too impressed with the response.

Lastly, from my standpoint, to get the Return channel NOT to increase the output when Aux is enabled, I have to set the Return fader to -13.00db. Is this normal?

Hello,

Okay...here is where I am at.

I am using either Valhalla's VintageVerb or Room reverbs.

Other reverbs that I have used have a Wet/Dry and Output controls, but the Valhalla reverbs do not.
    Apparently, the Valhalla reverbs are designed to be used only as AUX/Return effects and not as insert effects.
    * See here: Using Sends In An Analog Environment

I posted a query on the KVR Valhalla forum which can be seen here: Wet/Dry Controls

I must admit I was not too impressed with the response.

Lastly, from my standpoint, to get the Return channel NOT to increase the output when Aux is enabled, I have to set the Return fader to -13.00db. Is this normal?
    There is no circumstance in which you are adding in reverb or any other effect that will not result in an increase in the output. You are adding in and additional signal on top of what is there. This will always result in an increase in output level, just as adding any additional channel or other audio source to the mix will.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Also in addition to the above post, as I mentioned earlier, it makes a difference if you are sending pre or post fader as to how much additional gain you might see.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Hello,

Yep.

Consider that when you add significant reverb to a thing, it will sound louder. Usually, making something sound louder means the meter reading will go up. Which begs the question, how much do you really have to crowd the top of the meter? I would say that "max level" is less of a consideration in live performance than in a recording (of a finished mix), because there is always the system volume control for the amplifier, which ought to be in the analog domain. There is nothing wrong with reducing master gain a bit to buy some mix headroom, and SawStudio is specifically designed to allow for this.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Michael,
    You stated,
    Also in addition to the above post, as I mentioned earlier, it makes a difference if you are sending pre or post fader as to how much additional gain you might see.
    ...Okay!

For this "test" I am not inserting anything on R-01.

Whether I used PRE or PST fader on I-01/AUX1, I still have to set the R-01 level to -13.00db so that I no longer hear any actual increase in the output.

Just for interest, has anyone actually tried the scenario I posted at the beginning of this posting?

Lastly, someone suggested that I use a gain plugin after Valhalla's reverbs to add the output control that this plugin appears to be missing.

PS: I have tested this scenario in both SAW and SAC and am getting the same end results.

Hello,

Maybe I'm not understanding here, but the Mix control is a wet/dry control.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com