Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: AUX: A Scenario and a Question

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Tomy,

You stated, ...Therefore, the -13db is to be expected then?
    Dell -- I thought I explained this. Are you still not understanding?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

You are absolutely correct. What you are attenuating at the return fader is only the 6db of gain that is added when the second audio path is introduced. So what I posted about lowering the fader to -6 to match is indeed wrong. I removed that post, though it is quoted here. And now Dell’s finding makes sense to me, though it is perceptual and not exactly a matched level. Sorry for that piece of misinformation! Thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    This is all fine and expected, as you say, except that part about lowering the AUX 6 dB to get the previous total level. While it may appear that way and sound that way, the truth is that as long as any signal is being added (in phase, of course) to the original, there will be a summed, and, therefore, increased total output. Doubling the signal gets you a 6 dB increase, so you have to halve it to get back to where you started. That would mean bringing the AUX back down to -inf. I don't know how logarithmic math works (though I think I used to ), but I'm pretty sure someone around here could show that subtracting 6 dB from half the total signal would not be the same as subtracting 6 dB from the total signal. Actually, it's pretty intuitive, isn't it?

It sounds like you may be victim to a similar illusion as Dell: that dropping the AUX fader some small amount brings you back to zero total gain. Unless I'm just misunderstanding all this.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    You are absolutely correct. What you are attenuating at the return fader is only the 6db of gain that is added when the second audio path is introduced. So what I posted about lowering the fader to -6 to match is indeed wrong. I removed that post, though it is quoted here. And now Dell***8217;s finding makes sense to me, though it is perceptual and not exactly a matched level. Sorry for that piece of misinformation! Thanks Dave!
    I don't think I've ever been right about anything before in my life, so thanks for the validation, Michael.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Goes to show there’s a first time for everything. I am used to being wrong myself.
    Michael McInnis Productions