Close

Default MOTU in Windows 10 (a progress report)

Bob's impending transition of SawStudio to 64 bit has caused me to finally give up WinXP, which ultimately led to my building a new studio machine, and because the hardware is really NEW, Win7 can't support it, thus I was forced to Windows 10, of which I got the "pro" version.

I won't go into all of the details of why Win10 makes trouble for many of us, just a part where I have made some progress.

As happens to some of us, for me the move to Windows 10 broke some things that formerly worked, causing inconvenience in one case and complete failure in another.

My audio interface in the studio is the MOTU 2408 MKIII connected to a 424 PCIe card. Under XP, it just worked. On the new Win10 machine, every time I opened SawStudio I had to do a little dance with the audio hardware settings before starting a session. I would go to Options > driver model, and it would show with the ASIO selection the warning "unrecognized data format". I would select the ASIO option, select the MOTU interface in the dropdown list, and after that it would be OK.

My MIDI interface was part of my Behringer BCF2000. Going to Win10 just flat broke it. The driver for the BCF2000 will work in Win7 64 bit (I set this up on a friend's computer), but absolutely NOT in Win10. This meant I not only lost my faders, I also lost my MIDI port.

The BCF unit can work by connecting it to a MIDI port (haven't tried this yet), but first I had to have a port to plug it into. I wanted multiple ports. The first thing I tried (because it was cheap) was some cheap Chinese branded thing from Amazon which came in DOA, so I returned it. After doing some research and figuring out how to pay for the new toy, I settled on the MOTU Micro Lite, which has 5 ports in and out and is powered by USB (no separate wall wart or power cable). I followed the instructions in the manual to install the device and its drivers.

It happens that MOTU has gone to some kind of unified driver package that covers various of its products, and when you run the install it finds the relevant device(s) and puts in the necessary stuff. When I ran it, I got a surprise: It popped up with a list of two items, the Micro Lite and my 424 card. There are no check boxes: it does all or nothing. So I said "what the heck" and went ahead. Then I ran some tests. The Micro Lite works exactly as it should so far.

The bonus is, the 424 card now works better. Apparently SawStudio now wakes up properly recognizing the data format of the ASIO driver, so I should not have to re-configure it on startup any more.

So, now I know two things that definitely "play nice" with Windows10. I hope this information will be useful to other folks here.
    Last edited by Cary B. Cornett; 05-25-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: MOTU in Windows 10 (a progress report)

Cary,

Just for curiosity, can you please provide me with the make and model of the motherboard?

Thanks, Cary. I too use the 424 card and will be moving to Win10 soon.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Cary,

Just for curiosity, can you please provide me with the make and model of the motherboard?
    Mobo is an ASUS Prime B350M-A. It is uATX so I can stick with a shorter tower case. I went with a 6 core Ryzen processor (would have gone with a quad core, but those were sold out) and put in 16G of RAM, along with two 1TB hard drives, one a WD Black and the other an older Seagate that I pulled out of an external case (had some backups from earlier machines on it). The mobo has one of those little sockets for an SSD card (did not even know they existed until I was buying the stuff for this machine), and so I have 256 gig boot drive SSD.

I also put in a video card with the ATI chipset (dont' remember name/model, but it is fanless, so silent). I'm using a 2500 x 1080 "ultrawide" screen which has only the HDMI connection. Now, at least with the Ryzen processors, HDMI video does not become active until after Windows loads video drivers. So, no splash screen, no bios access unless you also hook up a legacy VGA (or maybe that other digital connection whose letters escape me at the moment) display. The boot from the SSD in my laptop is FAST. Not so with this new desktop machine, and I have not figured out why yet. Still, so far performance seems pretty good.

Also, to do the OS install you must have an INTERNAL optical drive. You can't do it over a USB connection.

HTH
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Thanks, Cary. I too use the 424 card and will be moving to Win10 soon.
    If you are already on Win7 64bit, and you are not going to "newest" hardware, there is no good functional reason to "upgrade" to Windows 10. Unless, that is, you are getting new software that DEMANDS Win10. 7 is less trouble than 10 if you can stick with it.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Blog Entries

Cary,

ASUS apparently does have drives for WIN7. See here: Prime B350M-A.
    * From "Please select OS", select the OS of choice.

Also, who told you about only booting for an optical drive?

All my WIN10 installs use a bootable USB with the USB3 drivers installed.

Also, you have to ensure that you can boot the USB from UEFI.

ASUS provides the "ASUS EZ Installer". It states, "Use this tool V1.03.11 to create a Windows 10 installation file with USB 3.0 drivers preloaded."
    * Note You still require the "Windows USB DVD Download Tool" to create the actual media.

Hope this is of interest?

Cary,

ASUS apparently does have drives for WIN7. See here: Prime B350M-A.
    * From "Please select OS", select the OS of choice.
    Also, who told you about only booting for an optical drive?
    I tried to work from an EXTERNAL optical drive, found out the hard way that was a "no go". Tech support informed me I had to use an INTERNAL optical drive.
    All my WIN10 installs use a bootable USB with the USB3 drivers installed.

Also, you have to ensure that you can boot the USB from UEFI.

ASUS provides the "ASUS EZ Installer". It states, "Use this tool V1.03.11 to create a Windows 10 installation file with USB 3.0 drivers preloaded."
    * Note You still require the "Windows USB DVD Download Tool" to create the actual media.
    I could have bought a USB stick for install instead of optical disk, but it cost more, so I went with the optical media. The optical drive I installed was cheap anyway. I don't know if the system allows USB boot from UEFI.

Thanks for the info.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Blog Entries

Cary,
    I don't know if the system allows USB boot from UEFI.
    All OS's since Windows XP have allowed USB boot capabilities - whether it be "legacy", for the older OS's, or "UEFI", for the newer OS's.

You can obtain 8GB flash drives for $4.00.

Cary,
    All OS's since Windows XP have allowed USB boot capabilities - whether it be "legacy", for the older OS's, or "UEFI", for the newer OS's.

You can obtain 8GB flash drives for $4.00.
    Yes. A blank drive. But moving the files from an optical drive to the USB stick so I could install them would be more costly in time and effort, and ultimately the easiest solution to implement was installing an inexpensive optical drive in the new machine.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"