Close

Default WOT: Bluetooth transmitter and bluetooth capable hearing aids

I've been wondering whether one of the newer designs of tiny Bluetooth transmitter/receivers would be good for pairing an analog TV set to a Bluetooth hearing aid receiver a long-distance friend is using. I don't have much experience with Bluetooth, except for having just gotten a pair of these dual purpose units recently to connect my analog headphones and line out of my RME breakout box, while doing mic checks for recordings.

My friend tells me that the systems the hearing aid company sells are quite expensive and I'm not too sure that they're even designed to work with analog TV, or amplifier. Does anybody have any opinions about whether my idea could work to give this person a way to listen to their TV wirelessly and still know when they're getting a phone call on their smart phone, among other things?

I'm not sure where else to look for information that would help me with my specific scenario either, so any ideas there would be great.

Default Re: WOT: Bluetooth transmitter and bluetooth capable hearing aids

I know nothing about the Bluetooth specifcation, but I would be conerned with latency. I've read that media players (or is it the OS?) have to manage latency compensation to maintain sync in video applications.

I've long thought this was a reason we don't see BT (affordable) IEM systems for musicians. But I have no idea.

How's that for (not so) helpful?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I worked with a Church a few years ago who were doing a new Built Facility. The local pro Audio Integrator ended up running 6 or 7 complete loops of CAT5 around the Sanctuary and then connected it to a QSC Amplifier. We fed a broadcast mix of the service into the Amp. We had a number of seniors with severe hearing impairment and their hearing aids picked up the signal. They also had headsets available for others as well.

Like sitting in the midst of a Sanctuary sized microphone coil. Worked well.

I realize it's not Bluetooth but there was no delay in the system and relatively inexpensive.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I know nothing about the Bluetooth specifcation, but I would be conerned with latency. I've read that media players (or is it the OS?) have to manage latency compensation to maintain sync in video applications.

I've long thought this was a reason we don't see BT (affordable) IEM systems for musicians. But I have no idea.

How's that for (not so) helpful?
    I've also noticed a bit of latency when listening to audio only over the tv set that I've been testing a cheap BT transmitter and receiver with (a pair of dual purpose BT units). I haven't had time to test with dialog from a movie/program just yet. But with sealed back headphones, the latency is not an issue for audio playback. Even with partially open (Sony 7506) ears, it's not that big of a deal with audio only if I turn it up in the phones just moderately so - I'm less than 10 feet from the speakers at moderate room levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    I worked with a Church a few years ago who were doing a new Built Facility. The local pro Audio Integrator ended up running 6 or 7 complete loops of CAT5 around the Sanctuary and then connected it to a QSC Amplifier. We fed a broadcast mix of the service into the Amp. We had a number of seniors with severe hearing impairment and their hearing aids picked up the signal. They also had headsets available for others as well.

Like sitting in the midst of a Sanctuary sized microphone coil. Worked well.

I realize it's not Bluetooth but there was no delay in the system and relatively inexpensive.
    We talked about a hard wired solution a bit, but evidently the way the front rooms of this ranch house are wired already leaves a lot to be desired. Getting rid of one set of cables will go a long way to making the space more tolerable for my friend.

But the CAT5 certainly proves itself all the time, doesn't it?