Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SAC...Update on any new Developments?

Hi everyone...and especially Bob...

I've been a SAC user now for best part of 10 years though in the last year or so...I've picked up a Behringer X32 and have been using that in my mixing for a few local groups. It was a purchase and a transition that I made out of necessity. The groups I was working with did not trust my SAC system....did not trust me mixing from a Tablet. They wanted to see faders and a dedicated board.

The ironic thing is that for most of the venues I mix in....there is no place to set up the board in the audience area so it sits at the side of the stage ...and I mix from a tablet out front.

Go figure.

Now that they have gained trust in my gear and mixing...I don't think they would even know if I showed up with a SAC system and mixed from out front. Especially since I've got an X32 Rack coming in a few weeks to augment my main rig and to use in smaller Duo type gigs.

However....I keep looking back at my SAC system and the flexibility it gives me. The X32 is working well for me but there are some limitations. I never had those with SAC.

I understand that there may be some things on the horizon with SAC....perhaps a new and updated version of the system given all that's transpired with the Elton John system over the past 5 years.

I'm at a crossroads....I've got a sizable investment in my SAC system and by selling it off could re-purpose those funds to augment my current PA. I'm reluctant to do that as I could see in a year or 2 that the bands I regularly work with might not have an issue with my transitioning back to SAC.

Is there any thing that can be said about what's on the horizon for SAC? Is there anything that's going to move it forward?

Thanks...
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Default Re: SAC...Update on any new Developments?

I am working on a 64 bit version and some very deep redesign concepts that may make it operate better in Win 10 in the future... or I may be moving the engine to Linux... who knows...

In the meantime... does it really need anything to move it into the future... I think it seems to be working just fine now for those that use it and like it...

If you have a working system... keep it working and I doubt you will be lacking for anything for quite a while longer.

Bob L

Appreciate it Bob....Thank you...looking forward to your work on the program.
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    Hi everyone...and especially Bob...

I've been a SAC user now for best part of 10 years though in the last year or so...I've picked up a Behringer X32 and have been using that in my mixing for a few local groups. It was a purchase and a transition that I made out of necessity. The groups I was working with did not trust my SAC system....did not trust me mixing from a Tablet. They wanted to see faders and a dedicated board.

The ironic thing is that for most of the venues I mix in....there is no place to set up the board in the audience area so it sits at the side of the stage ...and I mix from a tablet out front.

Go figure.

Now that they have gained trust in my gear and mixing...I don't think they would even know if I showed up with a SAC system and mixed from out front. Especially since I've got an X32 Rack coming in a few weeks to augment my main rig and to use in smaller Duo type gigs.

However....I keep looking back at my SAC system and the flexibility it gives me. The X32 is working well for me but there are some limitations. I never had those with SAC.

I understand that there may be some things on the horizon with SAC....perhaps a new and updated version of the system given all that's transpired with the Elton John system over the past 5 years.

I'm at a crossroads....I've got a sizable investment in my SAC system and by selling it off could re-purpose those funds to augment my current PA. I'm reluctant to do that as I could see in a year or 2 that the bands I regularly work with might not have an issue with my transitioning back to SAC.

Is there any thing that can be said about what's on the horizon for SAC? Is there anything that's going to move it forward?

Thanks...
    Jeff -- curious -- what has stopped you from using a physical controller (faders and more) of some kind with SAC to satisfy your frowny band clients?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    I may be moving the engine to Linux... who knows...
    SAC Linux distribution would be sweet! Optimized everything from the kernel to the UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Jeff -- curious -- what has stopped you from using a physical controller (faders and more) of some kind with SAC to satisfy your frowny band clients?
    Hi Dave...I had 2 of the Behringer 8 channel Fader packs and used those when I was able to get a FOH position out front. Otherwise I was running from a tablet.

My take on it was that there were a bunch of Racks, Computers and screens showing up. It's not what the guys were used to. Though I tried to explain it to them...it was just too out of the comfort zone for them to trust in it. The moment I brought my X32 console on board....there was a visible and collective...AAaahhh...like "now every things OK..."

With the SAC system...If anything went wrong...and I mean anything...there was an implied blame that it was the fault of Jeff and his "Homemade " system. That's ended with the introduction of the console.

But...as I mentioned above...now that I've got a large batch of gigs under my belt...the bands are perfectly comfortable with my mixing from the tablet. I'll be integrating the Rack version of the X32 in a few weeks. I could see ditching the console a bit after that.....and then running the show on SAC a bit after that...

BWaaaHaaaa !

Quote Originally Posted by solarex View Post
    SAC Linux distribution would be sweet! Optimized everything from the kernel to the UI.
    Only problem with that is, most of the good interface hardware out there has no Linux drivers, and some that do have drivers that do not fully implement the features available in Windows. I don't want to have to go to the expense of all new interface stuff that I can't afford.

Also, every time that I have tangled with Linux, I have found configuration much more difficult than with Windows, and yes, that includes even Windows 10, mach as 10 annoys me.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Only problem with that is, most of the good interface hardware out there has no Linux drivers, and some that do have drivers that do not fully implement the features available in Windows. I don't want to have to go to the expense of all new interface stuff that I can't afford.

Also, every time that I have tangled with Linux, I have found configuration much more difficult than with Windows, and yes, that includes even Windows 10, mach as 10 annoys me.
    +1
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

I would love to see a Linux port over Windows anyday.

We updated to
    BehringerADA8200 find them sufficient over the older 8000s.

Used a X32 for a while, liked being able to send OSC commands via Android tablet to do some automation and remote metering.
    Behri'snger design uses Xilinx FPGAs and Analog Devices' Shark DSPs.

Always wanted to create a ADAT to PCIe board using a Xilinx FPGA making it open-source hardware.

Use of Behringer 8200s does nothing about the driver issue with Linux, as they are CONVERTERS, not the computer INTERFACE. Either Linux would need to have changes to make it compatible with the Windows driver interface, or Linux drivers are needed. Linux driver implementation for most of the decent hardware interfaces out there just is not there yet, and configuration "under the hood" for Linux is still far less friendly than that for Windows, requiring a serious amount of learning curve loss before one could even THINK of doing the proper OS tweaks.

So far the only real hope out there is ReactOS, and that project is a LONG way from being ready for serious use (sigh).

Much as I hate the Microsoft OS hegemony, it is still the one sandbox that non-programmers can reasonably play in for serious audio production work. Unless, that is, one goes the expensive MAC route, or worse, buys into AVID.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com