Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: SAC...Update on any new Developments?

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Use of Behringer 8200s does nothing about the driver issue with Linux, as they are CONVERTERS, not the computer INTERFACE. Either Linux would need to have changes to make it compatible with the Windows driver interface, or Linux drivers are needed. Linux driver implementation for most of the decent hardware interfaces out there just is not there yet, and configuration "under the hood" for Linux is still far less friendly than that for Windows, requiring a serious amount of learning curve loss before one could even THINK of doing the proper OS tweaks.

So far the only real hope out there is ReactOS, and that project is a LONG way from being ready for serious use (sigh).

Much as I hate the Microsoft OS hegemony, it is still the one sandbox that non-programmers can reasonably play in for serious audio production work. Unless, that is, one goes the expensive MAC route, or worse, buys into AVID.

Linux has native Class Compliant USB support. Apparently still a bit hit or miss with USB 3, but USB 2 seems to be stable.

It would still likely limit the range of hardware that would work reliably, but I'm pretty sure it would now possible to get MOTU, DANTE, and at least some RME products working reliably. (actually there may be native RME linux drivers)
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Hello,

See this: RME Linux drivers - all 3rd party.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Linux has native Class Compliant USB support. Apparently still a bit hit or miss with USB 3, but USB 2 seems to be stable.

It would still likely limit the range of hardware that would work reliably, but I'm pretty sure it would now possible to get MOTU, DANTE, and at least some RME products working reliably. (actually there may be native RME linux drivers)
    I recently bought a MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface. It is an excellent unit, but it is NOT class compliant. It is necessary to install a driver package for their stuff. I also have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB audio interface. Another very good unit, also NOT class compliant, requires driver install.

I have gone through 3 or 4 cycles of "let's try Linux" over the years. It gets better in some ways over time, but has never yet been worth staying with, and I have seen no sign at all of the driver compatibility problem going away. And there are other vexing problems with it. It's too much like the british and other foreign sports cars of 40+ years ago that required constant tinkering to keep them on the road. I just don't need the hassle.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    It's too much like the british and other foreign sports cars of 40+ years ago that required constant tinkering to keep them on the road. I just don't need the hassle.
    Ah... the bygone days of my first car: a '73 MGB.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

How about a '69 bugged-eyed sprite.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

How about a '69 bugged-eyed sprite.
    Nice. There were Triumphs and Fiats and...
    Becket, Massachusetts

I have a '59 Austin Healey 106 with a 3000 engine in it sitting in my garage. I haven't driven it in 25 years, so obviously it needs a lot of work to get it roadworthy again. Yeah, I'll get to it... in my "spare" time <LOL>

Sorry, we're REALLY OT now.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    I have a '59 Austin Healey 106 with a 3000 engine in it sitting in my garage. I haven't driven it in 25 years, so obviously it needs a lot of work to get it roadworthy again. Yeah, I'll get to it... in my "spare" time <LOL>

Sorry, we're REALLY OT now.
    Nice.
    Becket, Massachusetts