Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Record Two Mics To Two Separate Tracks

Thanks again, Bill.

I think the answer Curt provided early on is the solution I was looking for. This is a simple two-voice podcast. No need for effects, overdubs, or anything fancy. No offense, but I feel like you might be over-complicating the process, which I totally understand because I am sometimes guilty of the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    But if you ALSO blacken all the NAME boxes (holding ALT key down while left clicking) on all audio tracks, you'll hear all the audio but edit only those with the NUMBER boxes blackened. (You can also drag through the NAME boxes while holding the ALT key down if there are a lot of them).
    OK, I get it. Now you guys are just trying to confuse the competition right out of business, aren't ya?

Really... I've got my answer, so if you see that I don't respond to all these additional comments, please don't take it personally. I understand that the thread now belongs to all the members of the forum, so have fun discussing this subject, but I'm going to go play with SAW some more!

OR YOU CAN ...
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Tom, don't let Bill scare you too bad. You have to mess up with your editing, typically, to screw up the sync between tracks. Sync is what multitrack music recording is all about, after all. It's gotta be something that can be done with limited effort. And -- if you ever do screw up the sync, you have options. Undo is a good one. Of course, with spoken word stuff, even between more than one person, sync is only critical if you have bleed between the mics and you're hearing an echo. You can even fix that kind of thing with a manual slip of one track vs. the other.

But I do like Bill's idea for certain types of projects where you want to keep the editing simple and not worry too much about being careful with the sync stuff.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Keep it Simple.

You can either set it up like Curt described or like Bill described. They both will work. Personal preference.

Don't fret the sync issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale B View Post
    Keep it Simple. You can either set it up like Curt described or like Bill described. They both will work. Personal preference. Don't fret the sync issues.
    Yeah, I'm not sweating it. As noted earlier, I don't think I'll be using SAW for this podcast, as I've found an iPad-based solution that is more portable for mobile recording. Still, I like to know how to do things, so I'm glad I can now record simple dialogue onto multiple tracks. I'll deal with the synching thing if it ever pops its ugly head up. The problem I am STILL having, though, is monitoring while I am recording. Even when I use the "Direct Monitor" feature on my FocusRite Scarlett 212 interface, I get a slap-back echo from the mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sweating it. As noted earlier, I don't think I'll be using SAW for this podcast, as I've found an iPad-based solution that is more portable for mobile recording. Still, I like to know how to do things, so I'm glad I can now record simple dialogue onto multiple tracks. I'll deal with the synching thing if it ever pops its ugly head up. The problem I am STILL having, though, is monitoring while I am recording. Even when I use the "Direct Monitor" feature on my FocusRite Scarlett 212 interface, I get a slap-back echo from the mic.
    Tom -- from the Scarlet 212 manual:

When "Direct Monitoring" is set to ON, ensure that your DAW software is not set to route its input(what you are currently recording) to its output. If it is, you will hear yourself "twice," with one signal audibly delayed as an echo.

The monitor outs on the Scarlet will have zero latency in this setting. SAW's monitoring output will have latency. Don't listen to both. Ya gotta pick one.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Tom -- from the Scarlet 212 manual:
    When "Direct Monitoring" is set to ON, ensure that your DAW software is not set to route its input(what you are currently recording) to its output. If it is, you will hear yourself "twice," with one signal audibly delayed as an echo.

The monitor outs on the Scarlet will have zero latency in this setting. SAW's monitoring output will have latency. Don't listen to both. Ya gotta pick one.
    That makes sense. Too bad I totally suck at reading manuals.

My workaround? Don't wear headphones!

(Thanks, Dave!)