Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Record Two Mics To Two Separate Tracks

Now that I am fairly comfortable using the modern version of SAW as an editing tool, I want to do something I have never had to do in about 25 years of using SAW software. I want to assign and record each of two microphones to separate tracks.

This is going to sound simple for those of you who do it all the time, and you are probably going to think I am being lazy (based on some of my earlier posts when I was first trying to get acquainted with SAW basic after decades of using a 1990's version called SAWse) but I will tell you that I have spent almost the entirety of this gorgeous day trying to figure it out, reading the SAW manual, reading the manual from my AI, and watching dozens of useless videos. If you aren't inclined to help, I understand, but please do not tell me to "read the manual," or I might just reach through the Internet and strangle you.

I am using SAW Basic on a Windows 10 computer. My interface is the FocusRite Scarlett 212. I want to record two voices for a podcast, each voice having a separate mic plugged into each of the 212's two XLR inputs, and I want to assign Mic 1 to Track 1 on SAW and Mic 2 to Track 2 on SAW.

That's it. For the life of me, I can't even get out of the starting gate with this and the manual does not help one bit. Maybe I am an idiot, but I have made a pretty good living editing audio and producing very decent audio programs with SAW for many, many years. Once someone explains how to do what I am asking in plain English, step-by-step like I am 5-years-old, I will be on my way and I will never need to ask again.

Are you feeling charitable?
    Last edited by Tom M; 06-30-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Question Re: Record Two Mics To Two Separate Tracks

1. Open SAW and hit the REC button on track 1. It'll immediately open a dialogue where you'll name and save the session. Then it will give you the recording input with its meter and transport controls.

2. Right above the word "Input" on the meter there's a little box that will say something like "D01S." Click on that. A menu will pop up. Click on "Mono Devices." Another menu will show up, listing available inputs. Since you're using the Scarlett 2i2, you should see one for the left channel. Click on that. The little box will now read "D01L."

3. Now click on the REC button for Track 2. Another recording level meter will appear with the same stuff as track 1, BUT the little box will say "D01R."

4. Plug your mics in, if you haven't already, and click on REC RDY in the transport. That will let you set your levels. Once you're happy with them, click on REC. You are now recording two mono inputs on two separate channels/tracks.

By the way, before you start....
    Under the Options menu, under Audio Driver Model, make sure ASIO Protocol is selected. Also check the Audio Device Setup under Options to confirm that it's using the Scarlett's ASIO driver.

Hope that helps.

Default Re: Record Two Mics To Two Separate Tracks

Thank you, Curt, for taking the time to explain that so clearly and perfectly.

The steps you described are exactly what I had been doing all along, but with no success. However, the key to making it work was discovering that Input 1 of my Scarlett 212 was being automatically read as a STEREO device. So when I tried to find Input 2, it was already greyed out and not assignable.

Once I changed Input 1 to MONO, the sun burst through the sky and the choir began to sing. Sometimes it's the little things...

Again, thanks for your help and for being non-judgmental in your reply.

Tom M

Always glad to help!

Blog Entries

Here is a play list of tutorials showing you everything you need to know to record into SawStudio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=GRW3yTvy_ks

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    Here is a play list of tutorials showing you everything you need to know to record into SawStudio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=GRW3yTvy_ks
    Ooh, looks good. I will have to spend some time looking at those videos, although most of them probably won't apply to my very limited application of SAW. I basically use it as a four track editing tool for pre-recorded voice-overs and music. In fact, since I got my answer about how to record from my Scarlett 212 into SAW, I have already found an iPad app that will work with my FocusRite iTracks Dock to record multiple tracks simultaneously onto the iPad. For the podcast I need to produce, this might be even more convenient than using SAW Basic.

Thanks, all, for the help. I now know exactly how to record live into SAW.

Tom,

Sometimes, in order to keep the audio files in sync with each other, I use the stereo file with mic 1 on the left and 2 on the right.

Later, after all the editing is done, you can copy the file to track 2. Then on the input source of track 1, click on the word "Mono" and choose either Left only or Right only and you'll have only that mic playing back on track one. Do the same on track 2 to select the other mic. The result will be two mono tracks in perfect sync without having to fuss with keeping two mono tracks in sync while editing!

This might save you some time in the editing process.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Tom, Sometimes, in order to keep the audio files in sync with each other, I use the stereo file with mic 1 on the left and 2 on the right. Later, after all the editing is done, you can copy the file to track 2. Then on the input source of track 1, click on the word "Mono" and choose either Left only or Right only and you'll have only that mic playing back on track one. Do the same on track 2 to select the other mic. The result will be two mono tracks in perfect sync without having to fuss with keeping two mono tracks in sync while editing! This might save you some time in the editing process.
    Dang! Are you telling me I'm going to have synchronization problems even when I am recording two tracks at the same time? That shouldn't even be a big deal, come to think of it. The podcast format will basically be one voice talks, the other voice listens, so I will probably end up muting the "listener" track and manually placing it where I want it to keep the production tight, anyway. Thanks for the advice, though.

Another way to do this with separate tracks is to click the track number in the MT view and all edits will happen on both tracks. But by doing this way, you won't hear any elements on any other tracks, i.e. SFX or music.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Another way to do this with separate tracks is to click the track number in the MT view and all edits will happen on both tracks. But by doing this way, you won't hear any elements on any other tracks, i.e. SFX or music.
    But if you ALSO blacken all the NAME boxes (holding ALT key down while left clicking) on all audio tracks, you'll hear all the audio but edit only those with the NUMBER boxes blackened. (You can also drag through the NAME boxes while holding the ALT key down if there are a lot of them).
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.