Close

Default OT: media player sample rates?

For simple file playback, I have for years used Foobar2000, partly because I believed it to be about as transparent as you can get. I just made an unpleasant discovery: Regardless of source file sample rate, Foobar outputs at 48K. Years ago, I could have sworn it did not do that. This happens whether I set the output to the Windows sound device or to the MOTU wav driver for the 424/2408. A while back I found that VLC also puts out only at 48K. Do all media player applications do this now? Or are there any that output at the sample rate of the source file?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: media player sample rates?

Cary,

Just for curiosity...how does Foobar display this?

I suggest giving this app a look-see: TAudioConverter Portable

I have used it to correct both the bit depth and sample rate.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Cary,

Just for curiosity...how does Foobar display this?

I suggest giving this app a look-see: TAudioConverter Portable

I have used it to correct both the bit depth and sample rate.
    Foobar displays the sample rate of the source file, but gives no indication at all about what it is doing ABOUT the sample rate. When I use Foobar with a computer's "stock" sound hardware, there is no way of knowing about sample rate of the output stream at all. But with my studio machine, which is using a 424 card to a 2408MK3 feeding a Digimax FS converter box, I can look at the indicators on the Digimax to tell me the sample rate. When running from SawStudio, the sample rate is whatever I set for the EDL file. With Foobar, the rate indicator says 48K.

if I understand about the utility you mention, it converts the sample rate, right? So Foobar converts the sample rate, and the addon program would convert it AGAIN. What I want is for the sample rate not to be converted at all, just a straight pipe for the digital audio stream.

At this point, I'm not sure that ANY "regular" media player will tell you what sample rate it puts out. But I woulnd't mind at all being wrong ab out that, if there was an exception out there.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Cary -- I've seen it said in a few places that Windows does the resampling for output, rather than Foobar2000. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Regardless, does this thread shed any light?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...tput-settings/
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Cary,

What Dave stated,
    ...I've seen it said in a few places that Windows does the resampling for output...
    ...I have come across this point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Cary -- I've seen it said in a few places that Windows does the resampling for output, rather than Foobar2000. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Regardless, does this thread shed any light?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...tput-settings/
    Yes, I think that helps. Downloaded additions, will try to test them soon.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

So I tried the download that was suggested. Went for the wasapi option in the output settings of Foobar2000, and it worked. 44.1k file now comes out at 44.1k rate. Thanks to all for the help.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    So I tried the download that was suggested. Went for the wasapi option in the output settings of Foobar2000, and it worked. 44.1k file now comes out at 44.1k rate. Thanks to all for the help.
    Cool. Amazing how I keep learning things about computer audio. Really thought I knew it all.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts