Close

Thread: Three Questions

Blog Entries

Default Three Questions

Hello,

Q1: Why is it that when I add a SoundFile to the MT, that no graphic is displayed on the imported wave file in the MT?
    R1:

Q2: How can I verify the actual location of the added SoundFile?
    R2 :

Q3: Where can this information be obtained from the HelpFile or User Manual?
    R3:

Note: Yes, the [Wv] option is enabled.

Thank you very much for the assistance?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 07-13-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Default Re: Three Questions

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Q1: Why is it that when I add a SoundFile to the MT, that no graphic is displayed on the imported wave file in the MT?
    R1:

Q2: How can I verify the actual location of the added SoundFile?
    R2 :

Q3: Where can this information be obtained from the HelpFile or User Manual?
    R3:

Note: Yes, the [Wv] option is enabled.

Thank you very much for the assistance?
    Response to question 2 can be done in various ways -
    1- Look at the file location you are directing SAW to open and add the soundfile from..... in the most elementary sense.
    2- Go to File View in the View Menu - look for the file who's name matches that of the region in the MT view (turn on Entry Name Position in the Multitrack Menu, if it's not on by default). The full path for each file is given.

Response to Question 3 - I really can't tell you offhand, but I know for sure the second option I gave for question 2 can be found in the sections that describe the various Menu Items.

Response to question 1 -
    That puzzles me, since as long as the waveform display is turned on, the graphic should be there for every region.
    You can try going to the File Menu and highlight the region in question. Then choose to Refresh from the menu... That might help.
    It's possible that the waveform is almost invisible, because the amplitude of it is so low - If so, then highlighting the track in question (make it the hot track) and using Shift/Page Up should bring it up. You can also use the page up key to force the number of displayed channels to just the hot track (or set up an F-key to do that every time you hit it). One large channel in the MT is usually enough to tell whether there is a waveform that has enough amplitude to display.

If nothing is displayed using any of those methods - you can try going to soundfile view (using that hot track) and if nothing more than a flat line is displayed, then you've got a blank track, or nearly so.

Blog Entries

UpTilDawn,
    2- Go to File View in the View Menu - look for the file who's name matches that of the region in the MT view (turn on Entry Name Position in the Multitrack Menu, if it's not on by default). The full path for each file is given.
    ...This one does it! Wonderful, and Thank You!

You can try going to the File Menu and highlight the region in question. Then choose to Refresh from the menu... That might help.
    ...This DID help...Thank you again!

Very much appreciated!

Blog Entries

Hello,

Regarding Q3: Where can this information be obtained from the HelpFile or User Manual?...

View - File View, see pages 141-143, and page 264

File - Open SoundFile And Refresh, see page 240, 307 and 318.

Regarding, "1- Look at the file location you are directing SAW to open and add the soundfile from..... in the most elementary sense", the way in which I configure my performances is via a folder copy and rename operation. I later discovered that all of my wave file were still coming from the original folder location. At this point I was unsure of just how to re-path the wave file locations - or more importantly, to see where the original wave files were being referenced. Now I know.

Hope this info is helpful?

Somewhat out of order...

Perhaps an easier answer to Q2: Double click the region in the MultiTrack. It will open the associated sound file in the SoundFile View, with the region highlighted. The top of the SoundFile View window will show the complete path of the file.

Q1: While in the SoundFile View, if you still see no wave form, press the R key and answer OK to refresh the wave form data or use Shift-PgUp to zoom the waveform vertically.

Q3: The answer to Q1 is found in the Help File on the MultiTrack WaveForm Display Area page, at the bottom, under Transfer to Soundfile View.
    Last edited by Ian Alexander; 07-19-2018 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Clarity in answer to Q3
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Blog Entries

Ian,

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

The View > File menu option is the one I now use. Thanks again.