I want to be able to record an entire performance. Here is what I have:

In SAC:
    I-01: Electric Guitar
    I-02: Nylon Guitar
    I-03: Acoustic Guitar
    I-04: Emcee
    I-05: Backing Tracks > Input Source: SS I-01

In SAW
    I-01: Backing Track: Using "Add SoundFile to MT" and "Control Track" for trigging scene Ampsim preset changes.
    O-01: Used for testing of AmpSim presets

Attachment 2781

Using Show Control, the set is generally, Nylon, Acoustic and Electric with Emcee between each instrument change - beginning and ending with Emcee.

Are there going to be "issues" because of SAW playing backing tracks where I will be needing to record the electric guitar?

Any ideas on how I would go about setting this all up?

Blog Entries

Default Re: SAC to SAW Recording

WHello,

One of the "issues" has been using the "Import Mix Data From SAC" option, that I-01 in SAW then gets replaced with whatever has been configured in SAC.

So I thought, how I would do this SAW alone? So:

Attachment 2782

As can be seen, I would have to move the Backing Track to I-06 in SAW.

Would this be a "workable" solution?

Blog Entries

Hello,

I prefer to have the Backing Track at the top of the screen, with the Control Track just above the Backing Track.

So, if I position the Control Track at the top followed by I-06 - as in the top image, when I then perform an import, the Control Track and I-06 are re-positioned just below the imported tracks - as in the bottom image.

Attachment 2783

This works just great! Moving I-06 allows me to continue to work as I did before - at least from a "visual" perspective.

Well done, Bob!

Let me just note that the import from SAC channels can be controlled by only selecting the channels you want to import from SAC before you do the import to SAW. Blacken only those you want and leave the rest out of the import.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Thanks UpTilDawn for the tip.

I have an issue: After I have completed a recording and I want to playback the recording in SAW, I am seeing levels on the F Mixer channel, but am hearing no output.

For example, I have the backing track on I-06 in SAW, the Electric Guitar on I-01 in SAC, and use SRP so that I can hear the backing track. I can also hear the guitar being recorded while the backing track is playing. However, when the recording is completed and I go to playback the SAW recording - I am hearing no actual output in SAW.

May I ask why?

Update: The only way that I have been able to hear output from SAW is to disable "Activate SAC Link" in SAW. Is this normal? Is this maybe a soundcard issue?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 07-19-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Update

I know this is in the helpfiles of maybe both SAW and SAC, but don't ask me where!

But in the most rudimentary way that I incorporate SAC into my general recording machine (where, ironically, I do the least amount of actual recording), I have it set up so that I feed an output from SAW into an unused channel in SAC for simple 2-track playback. It's also possible to set up SAC (with scenes I imagine for the most convenience) to listen to SAW's multi-track playback - channel per channel.

I don't remember how to do either one offhand and I'm not around my machine now to check, but it's not difficult - that much I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Thanks UpTilDawn for the tip.

I have an issue: After I have completed a recording and I want to playback the recording in SAW, I am seeing levels on the F Mixer channel, but am hearing no output.

For example, I have the backing track on I-06 in SAW, the Electric Guitar on I-01 in SAC, and use SRP so that I can hear the backing track. I can also hear the guitar being recorded while the backing track is playing. However, when the recording is completed and I go to playback the SAW recording - I am hearing no actual output in SAW.
    You have to switch the I/O assignment on I-06 in SAC to I-06 from SAW to hear the Electric Guitar playback. As was just suggested, the fastest way to do overdubs is to assign a O-01 from SAW to a channel in SAC. I actually split the mixer in SAC so that half is assigned to live inputs and half to SAW channels.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Blog Entries

Hello,

Thanks for the replies UpTilDawn and Angie. Much appreciated.

Before I look into UpTilDawn's suggestions, in my posting, I have the backing track playing in SAW while I am recording the Electric Guitar on I-01 from SAC to SAW.

As I was told by Dave, as well as in the User Manual, in order to hear the backing track while recording the guitar part, I need to use SRP recording. This makes sense.

Now, when the recording is completed, I now want to hear the newly recorded guitar part along with backing track in SAW. However, I only hear the backing track - not the recorded guitar part.

The only way I have been to accomplish this is in SAW is to disable [Activate SAC Link] in SAW. Then I hear both the guitar and the backing track in SAW.

Is this how it is meant to be accomplished? Am I not able to hear playback without having to disable [Activate SAC Link] in SAW?

Note: Just for clarification, I am not re-recording the backing track part.

I do hope that all of this makes sense?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 07-20-2018 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for the replies UpTilDawn and Angie. Much appreciated.

Before I look into UpTilDawn's suggestions, in my posting, I have the backing track playing in SAW while I am recording the Electric Guitar on I-01 from SAC to SAW.

As I was told by Dave, as well as in the User Manual, in order to hear the backing track while recording the guitar part, I need to use SRP recording. This makes sense.

Now, when the recording is completed, I now want to hear the newly recorded guitar part along with backing track in SAW. However, I only hear the backing track - not the recorded guitar part.

The only way I have been to accomplish this is in SAW is to disable [Activate SAC Link] in SAW. Then I hear both the guitar and the backing track in SAW.

Is this how it is meant to be accomplished? Am I not able to hear playback without having to disable [Activate SAC Link] in SAW?

Note: Just for clarification, I am not re-recording the backing track part.

I do hope that all of this makes sense?

If you can hear the backing track, then the only reason you wound't hear the other tracks is one of a few of options. The channels are muted, the channels haven't been assigned to the same output bus as the backing track or the channel levels are down.

You absolutely do not need to disable the SAC link.

EDIT:
    Ok.. one more option, you have your backing track assigned directly as an input in SAC rather than bussed through one of the normal output channels.

Don't do that. Assign your SAW track channels to output buss 1. Than in SAC playback channel select SAW output 1 as your input source.

Now anything assigned to SAW output Bus 1 will playback through SAC.

ONE MORE NOTE:
    Don't get caught up thinking about tracks as literal one-to-one assignments. You can record on any SAW channels you want and freely re-assign them to different track channels after recording.

There is nothing special about a any of the track assignments or recorded tracks. every recorded channel is nothing more than an independent wave file, freely assigned to ANY SAW track channel.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 07-20-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philip,

Regarding your suggestions:
    The channels are muted - none are muted
    The channels haven't been assigned to the same output bus as the backing track - they are assigned to same output bus
    The channel levels are down - the are all set to 0.0
    You absolutely do not need to disable the SAC link - great!
    You have your backing track assigned directly as an input in SAC rather than bussed through one of the normal output channels - Yes, my usually configuration is I-05 in SAC assigned to SS-01 from SAW.
    Don't do that. Assign your SAW track channels to output buss 1. Than in SAC playback channel select SAW output 1 as your input source - I do this because it is what I was originally told to do. Other than the recording issues, this configuration has been working very sell. Q: What is benefit of using output rather than input channels from SAW?
    Now anything assigned to SAW output Bus 1 will playback through SAC - Again, what is benefit of using output rather than input channels from SAW?
    Don't get caught up thinking about tracks as literal one-to-one assignments - this one will take me a moment or two to get me head around. As someone once stated, "So-and-so has his head stuffed up a body cavity they were not permitted to say in public!" Heh! Heh!

Thanks for the tips!!

PS: J'aimerais visiter la France un jour.