Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: SAC to SAW Recording

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Philip,

Regarding your suggestions:
    The channels are muted - none are muted
    The channels haven't been assigned to the same output bus as the backing track - they are assigned to same output bus
    The channel levels are down - the are all set to 0.0
    You absolutely do not need to disable the SAC link - great!
    You have your backing track assigned directly as an input in SAC rather than bussed through one of the normal output channels - Yes, my usually configuration is I-05 in SAC assigned to SS-01 from SAW.
    Don't do that. Assign your SAW track channels to output buss 1. Than in SAC playback channel select SAW output 1 as your input source - I do this because it is what I was originally told to do. Other than the recording issues, this configuration has been working very sell. Q: What is benefit of using output rather than input channels from SAW?
    Now anything assigned to SAW output Bus 1 will playback through SAC - Again, what is benefit of using output rather than input channels from SAW?
    Don't get caught up thinking about tracks as literal one-to-one assignments - this one will take me a moment or two to get me head around. As someone once stated, "So-and-so has his head stuffed up a body cavity they were not permitted to say in public!" Heh! Heh!

Thanks for the tips!!

PS: J'aimerais visiter la France un jour.
    Using a single output assignment lets you monitor every channel from SAW without changing channel assignments in SAC.

Want to record another overdub, just record to another SAW track. Assign it to the output bus in SAW turn up the level and you are now monitoring playback in SAC. Rinse and Repeat.

Your way, every time you want to add another track to your mix, you have to switch input assignments in SAC eating up another SAC channel just for playback.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philip,
    Using a single output assignment lets you monitor every channel from SAW without changing channel assignments in SAC.
    ...The output assignment - which you also mentined as "output buss 1", is configured by default in SAW - is that correct? For example:

Attachment 2789

...This input chnanel in SAC is being assigned to SAW Output 1...correct?

Attachment 2790

Therefore, as you stated, everything that is coming out of SAW is now being routed to an input channel in SAC? This would be correct?

And though I have used Input 01, any input channel can be used? Correct?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 07-21-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Philip,
    ...The output assignment - which you also mentined as "output buss 1", is configured by default in SAW - is that correct? For example:

Attachment 2789

...This input chnanel in SAC is being assigned to SAW Output 1...correct?

Attachment 2790

Therefore, as you stated, everything that is coming out of SAW is now being routed to an input channel in SAC? This would be correct?

And though I have used Input 01, any input channel can be used? Correct?
    Yes, exactly.

Once again, its important to realize that even though the SAC and SAW channels can have a 1-to-1 relationship it is not hard-wired that way.
    The SAC mixing console and the SAW mixer/multitrack are two completely independent virtual devices. SAC link just gives you a convenient way to connect them together.

- Any SAW channel (Input or Output) can be assigned to any SAC input channel.
    - Conversely, any SAC input channel and any of the 8 recording busses can be routed to any SAW multitrack channel.
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philip,
    Any SAW channel (Input or Output) can be assigned to any SAC input channel. Conversely, any SAC input channel and any of the 8 recording busses can be routed to any SAW multitrack channel.
    ...So, for SAC - we would have, [Input Source > SS Mixer Channels]:

Attachment 2795

And for SAW, we would have, [Record > Input > SAC Mixer Channels]:

Attachment 2796

Note: The above are only available via Record - correct?

You can record individual channels by selecting the specific SAC channel as a source.

Or if you want to record stems (vocal tracks, drums, rhythm section, horns, etc), or an entire mix, assign your output channels to one or more of the 8 record busses and select them as a source on one or more SAW studio multi-track channels.

Playback can be handled by assigning one of the SAW Studio output busses to a SAC Input Channel

SAC Input Options
    Name:  SAC input source.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  19.2 KB

SAC Output RECORD BUS assignment
    Name:  SAC output options.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  20.4 KB

SAW Studio Record Source Assignment (accessible from the Record Transport Interface)
    Name:  SAW Record Options.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  14.6 KB
    Last edited by cgrafx; 07-22-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philip,

Thanks for the reply.

PS: Please see PM...