Close

Default Default preferences and moving them to another machine

I'm in the process of changing computers. Got all the hardware and files moved over. Moving all my programs, and the attendant reactivations, licensing, etc, has been a predictable train wreck.

I got SAW moved over quite painlessly, thanks to Bob's philosophy regarding copy protection.

But now I'm trying to figure out how to get it looking like it did on the old machine. As far as preferences regarding default layouts and F-keys and such, what files do I need to grab from the old machine?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Default preferences and moving them to another machine

CurtZHP,

If you have a different-sized monitor - then the F-Keys will more-than-likely not work - at least in tests that I have done.

If you have a backup of the previous SAW folder, then why not copy over the existing folder and "see what happens".

However, in all honesty, being "a new computer" is just that - "a NEW computer" - so I would not take the possibility of a potential system failure as a result.

This means a re-configuration.

I personally record every change that I have done as far as "system-wide" stuff goes on - so if I have to move stuff over, I am better prepared to do so.

I hope this is some help to you? Let us see what others have to say.

Not a good idea for prefs to be moved from one install to another... things are different.

But you can copy F-keys from the main SAW and SAC folder... although if the system resolutions are different... no good either.

Best to do a fresh install and rebuild the basic settings.

Bob L

Every time I have installed SawStudio on a new machine, I have set up the preferences from scratch, including FKeys. Yes, it is work, but so is playing "whack-a-mole" with an imported setup that doesn't work right with the new machine. In particular watch out for things like authorization of plugins that require it.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Cary,
    ...but so is playing "whack-a-mole"...
    ...Yo! That is my favourite game, man! Heh! Heh!

That's pretty much what I ended up doing.

Then the real fun started. In the process of reinstalling all my plugins, I mistakenly installed all 64-bit versions in the SAW VST folder. That made for some good cardio when I started opening sessions and SAW got really grumpy about it. (First time in eons I saw it crash. It was almost surreal!)

Figured out my mistake, emptied out the folder, and started all over again with installing them. THIS time making sure I was installing the 32-bit versions.

So far so good.

It might be too late, but...

It could be helpful to move the F-key preference file over if only to give you a starting point or reminder of what kinds of views you had, rather than rebuilding them all from scratch.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

A Whac-a-mole aside:

"The Origins of Whac-A-Mole
    BY Chris Higgins
    April 12, 2010

Aaron Fechter invented the original Whac-A-Mole game in 1971. Well...he took the idea from "some Japanese guys" who had created a creature-whacking game first, but Fechter made the mechanism work reliably by inventing an air cylinder system to power the moles and an audio-tape-driven pattern that governed the moles' timing. Also, Fechter's game used only moles, rather than a variety of animals in the Japanese game. In the video below (http://mentalfloss.com/article/24435/origins-whac-mole), Fechter (who went on to create the Rock-afire Explosion animatronic band for Showbiz Pizza) discusses how he created the Whac-A-Mole and how it was then reverse engineered and mass produced by Bob Cassata. Fechter ended up buying hundreds of the games from Cassata for his Showbiz Pizza parlors."

Bob Cassata had a company called 'Bob's Space Racers' located in Holly Hill, FL. He started out as a carney but started building carnival trailers in the off season. When he started building the games he soon upgraded the control system to a completely random circuit to pop up the moles. The electonics MRO company that I worked for at the time designed and built the first sample run of random generator control boards for the game.

Cool history. Thanks for sharing.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.