Close

Default Forum behavioral change: replacing selected text

As with most word-processing environments, we used to be able to select some text, then type our replacement string in its place. For a while, now, it has become a four-part operation: select text, delete it, place the cursor, type new string. Kinda of a PITA, no?

Any forum geeks out there who know if this is something that can be reverted back to yesteryear's behavior (by the user or the administrator)?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forum behavioral change: replacing selected text

Dave,
    I have not experienced the issues you mention.

For example, if I select the text "Any forum geeks out there who know..." and start typing, that text IS replaced with the current typed-text. So, I am not at all sure what is going on here.

What I have noticed at times is that the backspace key does not work, yet the backspace key functions outside of the Web page.

Also, if selecting text to be styled - such as italics or bolded, the first letter of the selected text is often omitted. For example, if I select the text "does not work" and select "bold", I get "does not work".

And yes, no matter what is going on, such things would indeed be a pain in the proverbial hind-parts.

Note: In this section, there are options for different Message Editor Interfaces.

• Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
    • Basic Editor - A simple text box
    • Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

Maybe one of these might suffice. I will try out the "Standard Editor" option and see where that gets me. I think that the only person that can really answer these questions is Bob, however.

Default Re: Forum behavioral change: replacing selected text

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,
    I have not experienced the issues you mention.

For example, if I select the text "Any forum geeks out there who know..." and start typing, that text IS replaced with the current typed-text. So, I am not at all sure what is going on here.

What I have noticed at times is that the backspace key does not work, yet the backspace key functions outside of the Web page.

Also, if selecting text to be styled - such as italics or bolded, the first letter of the selected text is often omitted. For example, if I select the text "does not work" and select "bold", I get "does not work".

And yes, no matter what is going on, such things would indeed be a pain in the proverbial hind-parts.

Note: In this section, there are options for different Message Editor Interfaces.

• Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
    • Basic Editor - A simple text box
    • Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

Maybe one of these might suffice. I will try out the "Standard Editor" option and see where that gets me. I think that the only person that can really answer these questions is Bob, however.
    Good thinking. I did some experimenting. I was in "Full WYSIWYG" mode, and was having that problem. Switching to either of the other two modes eliminated the issue. I'm sure I've never switched modes in the past, so unless something switched them for me (possible during interface upgrades, I guess), that functionality got broken along the way -- probably with the last update, which was, I think, maybe a year or so ago. Remember when the whole interface changed?

I've now switched to "Standard" mode. Interestingly, I saw this in the settings section under where we make that mode selection: "If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type." Hmmm... do they mean, like, the color layout stuff? Or this editing mode setting?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts