Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default OT: Virtualisation versus Dual Boot for SawStudio Installation

Hello all. As I'm not in a position to have a separate computer exclusively for SawStudio, I'm looking for the best way of still being able to use the program on a new computer I'm planning which, otherwise, for all forms of Internet access, would be running Windows 10.

I know that many of the good folk here say it's perfectly possible to run SawStudio satisfactorily under Windows 10 (although, according to what I read in this forum, there seem to be tricky problems with accessing the SawStudio 'help' file, for instance). But I had thought of using a Dual Boot setup, with SawStudio continuing to operate under XP, as possibly a better option.

My local computer experts, however, suggest that using Windows 10's Virtualisation facility could be a better way to go. I've looked at a few descriptions of how Virtualisation works and, although I'm no technical expert, it does seem a promising approach.

One particular question I have, though, arises from the statement I've read in one description, that the use of Virtualisation requires a 64-bit edition of Windows 10 Pro. As I understand it (at a very basic level!) SawStudio is a 32 bit program. Does this have any relevance to whether it will work in such a Virtual setup?

And a wider question, for anyone here who does have experience of using the Virtualisation option: are there any special minimum requirements for the specification of a computer running such a setup, with SawStudio Basic, under XP, on the 'virtual' machine?

With thanks as always

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: Virtualisation versus Dual Boot for SawStudio Installation

JR1,
    One particular question I have, though, arises from the statement I've read in one description, that the use of virtualization requires a 64-bit edition of Windows 10 Pro.
    ...Virtualization is not available for the Home Edition of Windows 10.

As I understand it (at a very basic level!) SawStudio is a 32 bit program. Does this have any relevance to whether it will work in such a Virtual setup?
    ...I have not looked into virtualization, but there is one point here, if you are installing a 32-bit virtual machine in a 64-bit Windows 10 system, this is possible only as long as your processor supports Virtualization Technology.

Hope this helps?

Thanks Dell. I did know that the Home Edition of Windows 10 would be ruled out if I opt for the virtualisation approach. Regarding your other point, the local computer man is carefully checking the spec of my machine with your comment particularly in mind!

Any other thoughts / cautions / experience out there in SawStudio land?

Blog Entries

JR1,

In all honesty, I would not get involved in any "outside" methods of getting software installed.

But it really boils down to usage. Is this a personal-use or professional-use situation? If it is the latter, then get SAWStudio working on its own in a WIN10 64-bit environment - without resorting to virtualization.

I am hoping that other will chime-in here. There are a number of folks here who are using WIN10 without any major issues from what I understand anyhow.

For my portable recording rig, I have a laptop running Win10 Home (what it came loaded with, except I took the option of the "clean reinstall" available from Microsoft). SawStudio runs just fine on this machine, although I went to a lot of trouble to tweak the install and remove unwanted apps. The one nuisance I have to watch out for is to make sure I have run the latest Windows updates at home before taking the machine into the field. Oh, and to keep it from running updates unpredictably I had to set both wired and wifi connections to "metered" for when I am at home. The Metered setting only works for specific wifi connections, so if you are out where there is "free" wifi floating around you need to have already run updates so it won't grab the free connection when you want to shut down (sorry, folks, I can't leave until the update is done).
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

I would also stay away from Virtualisation configurations. With all due respect, your computer experts may never have had the experience of setting up and using a professional DAW(a real time application), not understanding all the requirements...I find this to be the case in most computer stores, talking to most "Computer Experts". Your choice would also depend on what kind of recording you do. If you are a single composer, doing your own stuff, using a small interface, recording vocals, midi, software drums etc...etc, then Windows 10 will work fine(I know a few people doing this and are happy with Windows 10). If you on the other hand have a studio, recording bed tracks with 6, 7, 8..or more open mics, and you mix with a lot of plugins, then I would go for a dual boot(separate hard drive), and use Windows XP or 7...this may give you less problems, and also keep your projects more neat, tidy and organized.

If your building a new computer, this is were I would put most of the effort and expense. Get a good hefty power supply, and as Bob recommends; the FASTEST!!!!
    processor you can get your hands on ...when upgrading my studio computers, I used the AMD A-Series, FM2 socket processors, they run pretty close to 4GHZ(non over clocked), but Intel will work fine as well. SawStudio Basic I believe only uses one core, so number of cores is not that important...BTW...the HelpFile bug also happens in Windows 7 and 8, I seems to get stuck in the processes list, and won't run itself twice, but you can make a shortcut to your desktop, and access it when you want.

Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Blog Entries

Hello,

The "helpfile bug" has been fixed in later versions of SAWStudio and SAC.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Although for me the MWS helpfile is still not working under Windows 10 x64.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

JR1....a clarification...in reading your post again, it dawned on me what you meant by 'Virtualisation'. when I mentioned that you could use Windows 10, I meant the 64bit version. Even though SawStudio is a 32 bit program, it certainly can run on a 64 bit windows operating system. Windows creates its own 32bit virtual environment called Windows(32bit) on Windows(64bit) or 'WoW. All this means is that memory access for 32 bit programs is limited to 4 gigabytes. When you install Saw, right click on the .exe file or the shortcut, select compatibility tab and select 'Run as Windows XP....', then select 'Run as Administrator'...when installing interface drivers, install the 64bit versions for a 64bit OS.

Dave...it looks like Bob didn't convert the old MWS HelpFile to a HTML executable, as mine doesn't work either.
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

But not, I found out the hard way, for MWS. I had to look up the workaround and apply it. It was not as easy to find as most problem fixes.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com