Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: Virtualisation versus Dual Boot for SawStudio Installation

Hello,

I installed WIN10 PRO on a laptop I had kicking around and using a "patch" I had located, I was able to get the .hlp files to work.

Attachment 2807

I can send the zip to any that require it.

PS: Use at own risk. I tested this out and had no issues whatsoever. However, some where saying that they had issues with WIN32hlp.exe during an update, but I never had any issues at all.

I do not remember when it was, but I do remember having applied the win32hlp patch, having it disappear in an update, and having to run the patch again. Crap! I think it happened again recently, which may mean that future updates will break the patch AGAIN.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Cary,
    As I had mentioned previously, I installed WIN10 Pro on a laptop I had kicking around and am absolutely amazed at how many background processes are taking place on this system.

Have a peep at this one: 15 Windows Settings You Should Change Now!
    * Note: Can you imagine having your computer look to other computers for updates and then having them do the very same with you!! This is incredible!!

One thing for sure, use a local account.
    Stop using Cortana.
    * Note: An interesting term that has come up very frequently is "respawning" - or, "An instance of a character in a video game reappearing after having been killed." Interesting!!!

Here is a good one: O&O ShutUp10

The Pro version does allow you to do much, much more than the Home edition.

Anyhow, this post has taken quite a turn.

FYI: On a subsequent reboot, the system has "perked-up" quite a bit. Also, I disabled over 90 new items during this initial testing!!

How to give WIN10 actual borders: WIN10 Borders
    Last edited by mr_es335; 08-01-2018 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Update

Blog Entries

JR1,

Anyhow, regarding your original question, "Virtualization versus Dual Boot"...I believe that I and others would opt for a dual-boot scenario over virtualization.

On the other hand, I am not too sure if I would really be all that concerned about doing either. Get the Pro version, tweak it - and be done with it.

If possible however, why not just opt for Windows 7 Pro?
    * Note: It is still possible to obtain drivers for most "drivers 'n things" that are required. Or if all else fails use Driverpack

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    For my portable recording rig, I have a laptop running Win10 Home (what it came loaded with, except I took the option of the "clean reinstall" available from Microsoft). SawStudio runs just fine on this machine, although I went to a lot of trouble to tweak the install and remove unwanted apps. The one nuisance I have to watch out for is to make sure I have run the latest Windows updates at home before taking the machine into the field. Oh, and to keep it from running updates unpredictably I had to set both wired and wifi connections to "metered" for when I am at home. The Metered setting only works for specific wifi connections, so if you are out where there is "free" wifi floating around you need to have already run updates so it won't grab the free connection when you want to shut down (sorry, folks, I can't leave until the update is done).
    Hi Cary,

I have my Win10 audio laptop in Airplane Mode and use a wired network connection when at home/office. Wireless is off, so it isn't looking for WiFi on the road or anytime. Win10 also allows you to set "Working hours" during which updates are not supposed to happen. I'm not yet sure that I trust that setting, but so far, so good.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Danny O View Post
    Dave...it looks like Bob didn't convert the old MWS HelpFile to a HTML executable, as mine doesn't work either.
    mr_es335 set me up with a way to make it work. Interested? PM me or him. Thanks, Dell!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

As ever, lots of useful thoughts and information from the SawStudio community. It certainly looks as if the 'ordinary' Windows 10 route, with appropriate tweaks, is the best option, on balance.

As a user of SAW, and then SawStudio, since about 1993, I haven't had to reinstall the program since the early days of Windows XP. This is likely to mean that I've forgotten how to proceed with some basic installation tasks - so, no doubt, I'll be back here with more questions soon!

With thanks to all

John

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Cary,
    As I had mentioned previously, I installed WIN10 Pro on a laptop I had kicking around and am absolutely amazed at how many background processes are taking place on this system.

Have a peep at this one: 15 Windows Settings You Should Change Now!
    * Note: Can you imagine having your computer look to other computers for updates and then having them do the very same with you!! This is incredible!!

One thing for sure, use a local account.
    Stop using Cortana.
    * Note: An interesting term that has come up very frequently is "respawning" - or, "An instance of a character in a video game reappearing after having been killed." Interesting!!!

Here is a good one: O&O ShutUp10

The Pro version does allow you to do much, much more than the Home edition.

Anyhow, this post has taken quite a turn.

FYI: On a subsequent reboot, the system has "perked-up" quite a bit. Also, I disabled over 90 new items during this initial testing!!

How to give WIN10 actual borders: WIN10 Borders
    OK, nice thread, here :-)
    I hadn't done the 15 things. That vid is pretty interesting...I had only done a couple of them.
    I killed Cortana early on, but it is still lurking in Task Man/Processes/Background processes as Cortana (2)
    lots of other Bkgrnd Ps I am not sure about, like 6 NVIDIA Container instances :-/

I gotta solve my issues asap....work beckons!

Blog Entries

Todd,

Have a look at the SAC posting: OT: WIN 10 LTSB

Some very useful tips there...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Todd,

Have a look at the SAC posting: OT: WIN 10 LTSB

Some very useful tips there...
    Thanks, Dell, Will do.
    I am getting somewhere so far...my mistake ....user set up error one of my VST keys wasn't in the correct folder (LUFS Meter)