Close

Default opening old SAW edls in SSL

Greetings,
    I recently came upon an old EDL which will not open in SSL (likely from SAW days). I seem to remember there is a way to convert these old EDLs to be recognized by SSL. However, I cannot remember the details and I cannot find it in the manual or through Google search. I am hoping someone can refresh my memory or offer other options for recovering these old EDLs to work on in SSL.
    Thank you in advance
    Steve

Default Re: opening old SAW edls in SSL

Quote Originally Posted by smp View Post
    Greetings,
    I recently came upon an old EDL which will not open in SSL (likely from SAW days). I seem to remember there is a way to convert these old EDLs to be recognized by SSL. However, I cannot remember the details and I cannot find it in the manual or through Google search. I am hoping someone can refresh my memory or offer other options for recovering these old EDLs to work on in SSL.
    Thank you in advance
    Steve
    Maybe you're thinking of http://www.aatranslator.com.au/
    Check the long list of formats - halfway down or farther are a number of the old SAW formats.

Default Re: opening old SAW edls in SSL

Quote Originally Posted by smp View Post
    Greetings,
    Thank you in advance
    Steve
    Go to File/Import EditList File. It's supposed to be in all versions of SAWStudio.

You may want to look over the "Opening Sessions" section in the help file. Some prep can be helpful, apparently.

There are two options available under the File menu in SAWStudio for opening a session. The Open Session option allows you to open an existing SAWStudio EDL. If you wish to open a session from an earlier 32-bit SAW program (SAWPro, SAWPlus32, SAW32, or SAW32Lite), use the Import EditList File option.

Importing An EditList File

Importing a session into SAWStudio from an earlier 32-bit SAW program will import Region, MT Entry, mute, volume and pan mix data. Any effects or marker data will not be imported. The first step to take before importing a session into SAWStudio is to 'clean it up' in the SAW program you last used it in.

F It is suggested that you keep your original session EDL intact by making a copy of it to clean up for import to SAWStudio. Before following the preparations instructions below, you may wish to create a separate folder in with your audio projects called SAWStudio_Imports for example. Then all of your cleaned up EDLs can be saved to this location, leaving your original session untouched and in it's original location.

Preparing For Import

Here is a helpful guideline for preparing your SAW sessions for import into SAWStudio. These steps will help to provide for the cleanest, fastest import. Though it looks like there are a lot of steps here, preparation time for each session should be under a minute.

1. Open your session in the SAW program you last used it in.

2. From the File menu choose Save EditList File As… and save the session with a new name (preferably in a different folder). After you save it, you will be left working in the new copy you just created.

3. From the Regions menu, select Clear All Unused Regions.

F This is an optional step which will clear out the Regions List leaving only those being used on the MultiTrack. If you have unused regions in your project which you may need later, then bypass this step and the import function will bring them all into SAWStudio.

4. Press the [Ctrl] key and click on a yellow FX patch icon on any track to clear all effects from all tracks. This information can not be imported with your session.
    5. [Ctrl-Left-Click] on any track number display area to re-order the tracks.
    6. Update your EDL copy and close out of SAW.

Ready For Import

With the preparation steps completed you can easily bring your session into SAWStudio and begin working in it immediately!

M Open SAWStudio, and from the File menu, select Import EditList File. The Import EditList File dialog box is displayed. Navigate to your 'import-ready' EDL, and click the Open button. You will see the SAWStudio session building with the imported data. The session will not be updated to a SAWStudio format until you choose Update Session or one of the Save options from the File menu.

F The next time you open a session that's been imported and saved in SAWStudio, use the normal Open Session option under the File menu.

Troubleshooting Import Errors

During a session import, if you encounter an error message that a referenced soundfile can not be found, clicking OK in the message prompt dialog box will bypass the error and continue loading the session. Pressing the [Ctrl] key while clicking OK will bypass all import errors load the entire session. At this point the session will not play as there are files internally marked as bad.

To attempt to reinitialize the bad file header information, save the session in its current state, then reopen it using the Open Session option under the File menu. When you receive the first file complaint, press the [Shift] key and click OK to open the browse window and navigate to the proper soundfile path. All following files will automatically look to this new alternate path before prompting you again. You may create up to ten alternate paths along the way which will each be added to the search list before prompting you again. This process will reinitialize all internal links and header information.

After the session has been loaded with all links intact, update the EDL to save the new file locations.

F If soundfile data is missing or inaccessible, a session import will not be able to complete successfully.

Troubleshooting Open Session Errors

When opening an EDL that has trouble finding its files, you will be prompted to try to automatically re-path to the drive the EDL resides on, or go directly to a Browse window to pick an alternative search path yourself. If your EDL resides on the drive where the soundfiles are, clicking OK will automatically find and re-path all the files. If the files cannot be found on the EDL drive, you will be prompted again and given a second chance to manually browse to setup a new search path. You will be prompted again for each missing file and be allowed to enter up to 10 alternate paths.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 08-07-2018 at 08:07 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts