Close

Default Custom Built SAW computer

Hello everyone!

I am currently looking into building a custom PC with the sole purpose of running SAW but am getting a little lost in choosing my hardware. My major questions are Intel vs AMD CPU, should I try to get more cores or should I prioritize clock speed on the CPU, and will 32gb of ram be good? Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks,

Rob

Default Re: Custom Built SAW computer

[QUOTE=Robert B;215416]Hello everyone!

I am currently looking into building a custom PC with the sole purpose of running SAW but am getting a little lost in choosing my hardware. My major questions are Intel vs AMD CPU, should I try to get more cores or should I prioritize clock speed on the CPU, and will 32gb of ram be good? Any recommendations are welcome!]

Hi Rob,

FYI, I have been building my Sawstudio/SAC computers for about 15 years now. I have settled on Intel CPUs where I purchase the fastest core speed I can afford. I turn hyperthreading off in BIOS and have SAW and SAC setup to use individual CPU cores. I currently have 8 Gig RAM and don't see a need for more at present. I recommend you look into the latest RAM as there are new very fast options available. This will change when Bob releases the 64 bit version of SAW. I would add that you should buy good fast SSDs. I use Windows 10 64bit. I typically use ASUS motherboards and have found them to be good.
    Last edited by Bruce Callaway; 08-13-2018 at 03:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Custom Built SAW computer

I have a 2010 Mac Pro six Core 3.46 with 32 gb ram, I run Win 7 on it and it's awesome. You can find these machines for cheap and just know Apple writes the drivers for windows on their machines and it runs rock sold and gives me the best of both worlds. My Mac Pro was $597 shipped for free on ebay, I upgraded the ram and CPU and just got a 4k Video Card for it. One computer that just works and is cheap. Just wanted to let you know it's out there.