Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upgrade Windows soon question:

I will soon be changing my two XP SAW/SAC machines over to a clean install of Windows 7 pro, since both machines can handle the upgrade that far, but not to Win 10, I think.).
    In terms of its usefulness to a SAW/SAC user who mostly works with native and a couple dozen vsts and a couple standalone programs, like RX - with virtually no need for samplers, softsynths, etc. (no pun intended) - how does the difference between a 32 bit and 64 bit operating system do me good, or not? Neither machine can use more than 4GB of RAM, I think (I would need to dig more into it before I could say for sure, but I think not).

Blog Entries

Default Re: Upgrade Windows soon question:

UpTilDawn,

Then, 32-bit should be just fine!

When I had my "sampler rig" setup, I had SAW on 32-bit, but Kontakt on 64-bit - just for the RAM.
    * I used VE-PRO for the connectivity between the two systems - worked just great!!

Other than that, I personally see no real need for 64-bit.

This being said, if I could obtain 64-bit for less than 32-bit - the I would then opt for the 64-bit version.
    * I have a used shop here that can legally sells me WIN7 PRO 64-bit at $55.00. I am unable to obtain Home Edition, or 32-bit versions for that price.

I hope that this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I will soon be changing my two XP SAW/SAC machines over to a clean install of Windows 7 pro, since both machines can handle the upgrade that far, but not to Win 10, I think.).
    In terms of its usefulness to a SAW/SAC user who mostly works with native and a couple dozen vsts and a couple standalone programs, like RX - with virtually no need for samplers, softsynths, etc. (no pun intended) - how does the difference between a 32 bit and 64 bit operating system do me good, or not? Neither machine can use more than 4GB of RAM, I think (I would need to dig more into it before I could say for sure, but I think not).
    I found upgrading to 64 bit made windows tasks quicker and that was worth the change. I also installed a 64 bit version of Reaper for plugins that wont work on Saw so it worked out for me.

I've been running SAW on a Windows 8.1 64-bit rig with no issues whatsoever in SAW's performance. The only headache I run into occasionally is if I accidentally install a 64-bit plugin and try to use it in SAW. Sometimes it gets a bit grumpy about that.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Personally, I would simply go for 64-bit, as I believe that there are better device drives for that version.

With the use of "compatibility mode" - SAW and SAW run just "fine" in 64-bit.

And as sine have stated, some of the "other" audio apps are only available in 64-bit.

A few years ago I moved from XP to Win 7 because my motherboard died.
    I made the mistake of buying the 64 bit version not realizing that some of my hardware would not work - no Win7 64 bit drivers for my 9652, UAD 1, etc.
    So after fighting it for 2 days I went back to Micro Center and bought the 32 bit version of Win 7.
    Everything worked fine after that but I hate changing my studio computer.
    I don't change anything now unless a failure forces me to do it.
    So unless you plan on changing hardware stay with 32 bit.
    64 bit is the future but for most of us it's not that big of a deal just yet.

This is all very interesting and helpful..... I thank you for that.

I was just checking my XP location rig tonight for compatibility with Windows 7 and 64 bit... The rig appears to be compatible with both, according to Windows advisory tool and 64 bit checker tool.

Windows advisory says the "Intel Management Engine Interface" driver installed is not compatible with Win 7 and says it has no information for the RME HDSP PCI cards and the onboard gigabit network connection.

Other than that, it appears to be fully compatible, with the same results hardware and software for either 32 bit or 64 bit.

I can dig deeper into the system in the morning to note specifics about the computer, if you all need more info, but I do know it's an Intel Core 2 Duo, E4700 2.6GHz cpu.

I'm guessing the intel management engine interface incompatibility has to do with the fact that the machine is currently running Win XP and not a total deal breaker - would that be a correct assumption... and what's the best way for me to resolve that issue?

RME's website doesn't list any Win 7 drivers for their HDSP PCI card - although I might have noticed Vista???... I'm thinking maybe only XP and 2000... The only Win 7 machine I'm using currently with the RME Digiface is a Thinkpad with Win 7 on it and the RME pcmcia adapter. It works fine and I'm not sure that I ever sought out Win 7 drivers specifically for it, when I switched that laptop from XP to Win 7. Does this mean I should have no problem using the PCI cards on this remote rig after installing Win 7, or am I just hosed on that end?

Very interesting perspectives on the 32 vs 64 bit os... I want to be sure I can even install Win 7 successfully on this machine before I decide on the 32/64 bit question. I'm really appreciating the help all. It's been so long since I've tackled a computer upgrade.

Blog Entries

Tim and UpTilDawn

Tim stated, "I made the mistake of buying the 64 bit version not realizing that some of my hardware would not work - no Win7 64 bit drivers for my 9652, UAD 1, etc." and "64 bit is the future but for most of us it's not that big of a deal just yet."

I have been using WIN7-64-bit for some time now - 5+ years anyhow, and I have been using 64-bit drivers from RME since that time. Not sure about UAD however.

I still think that the 64-bit route is the "way-to-go".

UpTilDawn stated, "RME's website doesn't list any Win 7 drivers for their HDSP PCI card..."

...not too sure where you are seeing this. RME has had 64-bit drives for over 5 years now.

See here: Windows WDM streaming driver (32/64 Bit)
    * Notice the OS versions, "Windows XP SP2 / 7 / 8 / 10 32/64 bit. Supports ALL HDSP and HDSPe cards/systems!" You may have to do a firmware update, however.

The IME drivers are not an issue, there is one out there...

UpTilDawn, can you provide me with exact model of the motherboard? Also, a list of your add-on hardware. I will obtain the 64-bit drivers for you.
    * Send it to my email here...

Also, please do not forget about "DriverPack".
    * This is an invaluable resource.

Please note: Please check for "hyperlinks" to the sites I have provided...they do not appear to be so, but a mouse-over will reveal the link...
    Last edited by mr_es335; 08-14-2018 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Tim and UpTilDawn

Tim stated, "I made the mistake of buying the 64 bit version not realizing that some of my hardware would not work - no Win7 64 bit drivers for my 9652, UAD 1, etc." and "64 bit is the future but for most of us it's not that big of a deal just yet."

I have been using WIN7-64-bit for some time now - 5+ years anyhow, and I have been using 64-bit drivers from RME since that time. Not sure about UAD however.

I still think that the 64-bit route is the "way-to-go".

UpTilDawn stated, "RME's website doesn't list any Win 7 drivers for their HDSP PCI card..."

...not too sure where you are seeing this. RME has had 64-bit drives for over 5 years now.

See here: Windows WDM streaming driver (32/64 Bit)
    * Notice the OS versions, "Windows XP SP2 / 7 / 8 / 10 32/64 bit. Supports ALL HDSP and HDSPe cards/systems!" You may have to do a firmware update, however.

The IME drivers are not an issue, there is one out there...

UpTilDawn, can you provide me with exact model of the motherboard? Also, a list of your add-on hardware. I will obtain the 64-bit drivers for you.
    * Send it to my email here...

Also, please do not forget about "DriverPack".
    * This is an invaluable resource.

Please note: Please check for "hyperlinks" to the sites I have provided...they do not appear to be so, but a mouse-over will reveal the link...
    It was in 2014 that I did the machine. It has an ASUS motherboard and there was not any 9652 drivers available that would work with this motherboard. I tried everyone of them that were available on the RME site at that time. As soon as I installed the 32 bit version all my stuff worked.
    I'd hate to see anyone go through what I did - a week of hell in computer land....
    Motherboard - ASUS P8Z-V LK BIOS Version 1301 I5 CPU
    Last edited by Tim Miskimon; 08-14-2018 at 07:57 AM.

Blog Entries

Tim,

I see that this motherboard has three video card slots...which PCI-e or PCI slot did you use?

For PCI-e, I hope that it was the top one and for PCI, I hope it was the bottom one?
    * For the actual reasons why, contact RME...I cannot seem to find my notes.

Do you actually use multiple video cards??