Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Upgrade Windows soon question:

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    UpTilDawn, can you provide me with exact model of the motherboard? Also, a list of your add-on hardware. I will obtain the 64-bit drivers for you.
    * Send it to my email here...

Thanks for the assist, Dell. Sent you the info.

Meanwhile, I continue to check out whatever info I can get on this changeover. Maybe I can avoid a headache or two, since the plan is to upgrade both recording PCs this month (or next), while I'm in between projects.

Thanks to everybody that's made suggestions and offered advice so far. This all really helps to ease the stress of upgrading these two recording systems. I've put it off for quite awhile and I think it's finally time - more and more, I'm running into issues with programs that are dropping support for XP.

I hate to see a thread just hanging, with no resolution, so here's an update ( a bit prematurely so, but with excellent news).

Thank you who have offered advice and personal experiences - and especially thanks to mr_es335 for the extended help and the phone assist. It's all been very helpful - if in no other way than to get my mind focused on the right details, while I made this transition from XP and 32bit os to Win7 and 64bit.

Aside from snags with hardware (relatively minor, thankfully) and the usual wrestling with reinstalling and registering many essential software tools, the transition has just rolled along and I can happily say that I now have a functioning Studio machine and a nearly set up location machine once again! Yay.

The transition has been made slightly easier, because of my decision to buy a pair of used Win7/64bit machines that are comparable to, yet somewhat newer than, the two pc's I've replaced. In the end, I decided it was best to use one new machine for the studio and to rebuild one older machine for location work. That's primarily because of the hardware/software combinations I use in each instance - being somewhat the same, but somewhat significantly different That's made it possible to use one old and one new pc as a pair of guides, references and parts sources, while focusing all my efforts on building the new machine and redesigning the older machine.

SAW and SAC and the many native plug-ins I use have made the transition process more of a joy than just about anything else - except for maybe finally getting the studio to produce audio for the first time today - yay, again!
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 08-18-2018 at 10:09 PM.