Close

Default Installing SawStudio on Windows 10 machine

Encouraged by the always-helpful comments and advice in a previous thread, I now have some time to spend moving SawStudio from my trusty XP machine to a new W10 desktop.

My existing XP system uses, with SawStudio Basic, a small number of Bob's own plugins, one or two from Sonoris, and the JMS CueSheet Generator, plus Exact Audio Copy. As per Bob's advice, all the installers are together in a folder 'SawInstall'.

Obviously, in the new setup, I will transfer all the wav files to the D: drive. I had thought that the logical place for all the programs themselves, on the new machine, would be simply on the C: drive, and I already have SawStudio itself installed there. But when I checked the location of each program on the current machine, I found that, for example, all the CueSheet Generator files are within SawStudio, while Bob's Reverb program and Frequency Analyser, and my Sonoris plugins, are within the specific Native Plugins folder in SawStudio. EAC and its associated soundfiles and cuefiles sits in C: on its own, alongside, but not within, SawStudio itself.

Confused? I certainly am! It's a fair few years now since I put this system together, so I really can't remember why I arranged things as they currently are. But I can confirm that everything does work - although perhaps that's more by accident than by design! There's certainly an example or two of the same programs or files existing in more than one place on the current machine, and I'm keen to avoid this and other errors on the new installation.

I think it's inevitable that, as I make progress, other challenges will appear, which will raise more questions. But, for now, if there's somebody out there who's prepared to advise where these various files and programs should be installed, on the new machine, I would be very grateful.

With thanks always

John

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installing SawStudio on Windows 10 machine

JR1,

Regarding your queries:

1. Yes, do what you need to do with the existing wave files.

2. SawStudio Basic will be installed in C:\SawStudioBasic - this is the default installation location.

3. The SAWStudio plugins will be installed by default in C:\SawStudioBasic\Native_PlugIns

4. The CueSheet Generator should also be installed in C:\SawStudioBasic\Native_PlugIns - as long as you chose the SAWStudio version of this plugin.

5. Frequency Analyzer will be installed in C:\SawStudioBasic\Native_PlugIns.

6. As with the CueSheet Generator, the Sonoris plugins will be installed in C:\SawStudioBasic\Native_PlugIns - again, as long as you chose the SAWStudio version of these plugins.

7. Exact Audio Copy will be installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy, and therefore, should not be installed in the C:\SawStudioBasic folder.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Why keep progs on C?
    I always install progs to a drive other than C...for dual boot, only various vst licensing requires doubling afaik.
    If you wanna dual boot, you needn't install multiple instances.

Blog Entries

Todd,

When did John say he wanted to dual boot? He did mention putting the data files on drive D.

John, install the apps to their default locations and leave it at that.

I apologize for stepping on toes. Please ignore me :-)

Thanks for rapid and very helpful replies.

One quick follow-up on another aspect of the installation: once I've installed SawStudio, and adjusted the boundaries of the displayed image to fill the whole of the screen, how do I ensure that that remains the default image size when I next use the program? I can't find anything in the manual that deals with this - but that could be because I haven't been looking in the right place!

Thanks again

John

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Thanks for rapid and very helpful replies.

One quick follow-up on another aspect of the installation: once I've installed SawStudio, and adjusted the boundaries of the displayed image to fill the whole of the screen, how do I ensure that that remains the default image size when I next use the program? I can't find anything in the manual that deals with this - but that could be because I haven't been looking in the right place!

Thanks again

John
    Be sure to save your preferred f-key views as the f-key default (one option in that menu list). Also, be sure that the f-key you want to open first, when opening SAW, is the current view when you save the f-key file - whether it be the default f-key, or just a saved f-key file for random need call up. That is, which f key (F1 through F8) you want to be the opening view.

Also, be sure to make the particular window that you expect to use in that f-key view, the highlighted one (yellow text) before you save an f-key. This way, each time you go to that f-key, not only will the correct windows and proportions be the same, but the particular window will be the active one - this also applies to where in a mixer channel the view is saved - save an f-key with the f mixer on the eq section and the f-key will open that view the same way each time.

Blog Entries

John,

I think that it might be beneficial to check with Bob on using the "full screen" when using the "Maximize Button" of the main screen view.

It was recommended to me some time ago - and where I was told to ensure that the actual borders were in view.
    Note: The initial sizing of the display area is handled by the Options > Max Screen Resolution Override menu option.

It is important to understand that any and all changes that are made to the configuration of SAWStudio are "temporary" and as a result, you must use the File > Preferences File > Save Default menu option to "fix" these settings.

The same is said for the F-Key views - as UpTilDawn has just mentioned.

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    Why keep progs on C?
    I always install progs to a drive other than C...for dual boot, only various vst licensing requires doubling afaik.
    If you wanna dual boot, you needn't install multiple instances.
    Um, Dell, rereading this I believe you misunderstood my comment, which actually needn’t be ignored.

I, personally, do usually install programs like DAWs on a drive other than C. That said, I personally have never experienced a hosed C drive system (touch wood). I also prefer to partition for data in other drives as well, as the OP stated.

Phrased differently to clarify: In the event a user found themselves considering a dual boot in the future, installing on a drive other than C could be helpful. I have just set up a dual boot and was happy I had installed SAW and VSTs on a drive other than C. SAW is one of the lighter installation routines compared to other softwares :-)

Also, personally, I do not consider the Sawstudio user forum threads completely a specific user case by case support area beyond when Mr. Lentini contributes. I consider this place and other forums like this a knowledge exchange where all members try to help each other out. Obviously some members are more qualified than others. I think many perspectives help clarify.