Close

Default Let's be nice - AMD Phenom okay? Or hold out for i7?

My XP machine finally decided to give it up and I'm taking the plunge ... hold on now ... to Windows 7! I know, I'm a rebel.

I have a guy near me that has a ASUS machine with an AMD Phenom 2X6 1045T processor that I can get at a pretty reasonable price. I'm just wondering if that will do the job or if I need to hold out for an i7.

My max track count is generally 24+. I don't use a ton of plug-ins. I do mostly "classical" and jazz work. So I don't use a lot of virtual anything.

I'd like to get something soon, so your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks folks,
    Scott

PS: I may cross-post this on GS. But, my primary DAW is SS, and I trust the good people here.
    PPS: I did a search both here and GS, but most information is 5+ years old.

Default Re: Let's be nice - AMD Phenom okay? Or hold out for i7?

Anything remotely modern will work just fine for what you are wanting to do.

The core i7 won't really do anything for SAC or SAW.

The new system I'm currently building is based on a 3.9GHz core i3. Lower TPD (only 51watts) and higher clock speed and faster single threaded processing.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

I didn't think an i7 would benefit Studio directly, but indirectly, maybe? It seems like there was some discussion many years ago regarding the type of math, or the way AMD handles it vs Intel for audio editing. But, I could be mistaken.

I might be using other DAWs as well. I also use RX, Melodyne, and a few other things. I use Studio primarily, but not exclusively.

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I didn't think an i7 would benefit Studio directly, but indirectly, maybe? It seems like there was some discussion many years ago regarding the type of math, or the way AMD handles it vs Intel for audio editing. But, I could be mistaken.

I might be using other DAWs as well. I also use RX, Melodyne, and a few other things. I use Studio primarily, but not exclusively.

Thanks,
    Scott
    I can't speak to AMD as a choice, but just for perspective from the antiquated - I currently use a core 2 duo and win7 32 bit to record and live mix (for radio streaming) up to 48 simultaneous tracks and barely break a sweat. I think it helps a lot that I use SAC as a front end for SAW, which takes a lot of the load off.

I also use basically the same system for project studio recording and post production work, which includes working with RX and many more plug-ins than I need to use for the live work - many of them somewhat cpu-hoggish.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I can't speak to AMD as a choice, but just for perspective from the antiquated - I currently use a core 2 duo and win7 32 bit to record and live mix (for radio streaming) up to 48 simultaneous tracks and barely break a sweat. I think it helps a lot that I use SAC as a front end for SAW, which takes a lot of the load off.

I also use basically the same system for project studio recording and post production work, which includes working with RX and many more plug-ins than I need to use for the live work - many of them somewhat cpu-hoggish.
    Well, I just don't want to get an AMD, then realize that I might have been happier with a V8, I mean an i7.

Since you brought it up - do you see a significant difference in performance using SAC as the front end compared to just using SAW in live mode? I've thought about doing that, but so far, live mode has been very good and easy.

Thanks for the reply,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Well, I just don't want to get an AMD, then realize that I might have been happier with a V8, I mean an i7.

Since you brought it up - do you see a significant difference in performance using SAC as the front end compared to just using SAW in live mode? I've thought about doing that, but so far, live mode has been very good and easy.

Thanks for the reply,
    Scott
    Bob can explain how using SAC as a front end removes a lot of the load requirement that is otherwise needed using SAW on its own - I'm not informed enough to explain. But I can say from practical experience that SAW in live mode was a lot more clunky than SAC and the SAW/SAC link. And SAW loaded down my poor old PIV/XP machine so much sometimes, it was just about choking. SAC/SAW on the same machine was a major improvement in both operation and load.

I haven't bothered to test the difference on any of the pcs I've run in the past 5-6 years... but I can load up a 48 track SAC/SAW session and engage every normal channel strip function (compressor, eq - all 5 bands active, multiple aux with native fx), plus load up 2-3 outs with native processing and with the SAW link engaged and recording, only put about a 35-40% load on the system - that is reading off of SAC's display - I don't recall what task manager has read. SAW just hums away in the background happily recording those 48 tracks for 90 minutes to 2 hours without a complaint.