Close

Default SAW PRO Oldies but Goodies

I'm having an issue with DC offset while bringing in some audio into SAWSTUDIO through a Zoom H4n headphone output, using it as a quicky mic/preamp for some ADR.
    Its inducing a pretty nasty DC offset. Is there a way to correct this easily? Or should I just put it in my SAW PRO to use the DC offset function? That was a nice little tool.

And another cool and fast feature in PRO was the Stereo track splitter. I could have used that a few times also. Any fast tricks in STUDIO for doing those remedial chores?

Teddy Hallaron

Default Re: SAW PRO Oldies but Goodies

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Hallaron View Post
    ...And another cool and fast feature in PRO was the Stereo track splitter. I could have used that a few times also. Any fast tricks in STUDIO for doing those remedial chores?
    I don't run into this need very often, myself, but the remedy I most often see is to Ctl/drag the stereo region into a second track channel to create a copy. Then hard pan each track to Left and Right respectively. This gives you essentially a pair of mono tracks. The regions still look like stereo tracks, of course, because SAW doesn't re-draw the waveform displays as some other daws might do. But the resulting output would be two mono tracks hard panned left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I don't run into this need very often, myself, but the remedy I most often see is to Ctl/drag the stereo region into a second track channel to create a copy. Then hard pan each track to Left and Right respectively. This gives you essentially a pair of mono tracks. The regions still look like stereo tracks, of course, because SAW doesn't re-draw the waveform displays as some other daws might do. But the resulting output would be two mono tracks hard panned left and right.
    And, of course, a quick Export Tracks to Soundfiles [with no mixer processing] operation (after marking the timeline range and selecting the two tracks by clicking on their track numbers) would complete the chore, if you really had to have the real-life individual files.

As for DC offset -- installing SAW Pro is a quick 'n' easy. You could also use Sound Forge. Or you could just SoftEdge the beginning and end of any guilty region entries in the MT. It's a work-around, but it works well -- just select all the region entries at once, then create 5 ms SoftEdges for all starts and ends. You might get some surprises if you have automation currently drawn on region entry boundaries (and so ending up in the middle of a SoftEdge), so it's not perfect.

Then there's a tool in this free grab-bag: http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/do...tware/UtilBag/

I've read that it works well. And I read it on the Internet, so...
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Does the audio have the same DC offset if you record it on the portable and then import the files? If the headphone amp output is causing the problem, you may not benefit at all by using the converters in your computer sound card. Of course, if you need playback for looping, you may not have a choice. Then again, you could play back using SS and still record on the portable. For short phrases, drift wouldn't be an issue.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Thanks Ian, good point. The headphone amp was causing the offset. I ended up just recording offline and importing via SD card. A little bit more cumbersome, but solved the off set problem.

@Dave, I do have SawPro loaded up, so if I need some of those tools, I have them ready to go. Thanks for the feedback.

Teddy Hallaron

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Hallaron View Post
    Thanks Ian, good point. The headphone amp was causing the offset. I ended up just recording offline and importing via SD card. A little bit more cumbersome, but solved the off set problem.

@Dave, I do have SawPro loaded up, so if I need some of those tools, I have them ready to go. Thanks for the feedback.
    Teddy -- re-reading your OP, I see you meant you were looking for a way to fix the problem before it happens (not after). Sorry. I missed that.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts