Close

Default Windows 10, Home or Pro

I'm ready to upgrade the OS for the studio machine and am looking for advice. Is there any advantage to using the Pro version over the Home version?
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Windows 10, Home or Pro

Angie,

I know that there are some who will disagree with me, but the Pro versions are more tweak-able.

I have been working with MS software since the early 90's and have always preferred and recommended Pro since that time.

If you can, try to obtain a copy of the LTSB, Long Term Servicing Branch, version - even though MS has made this very difficult.

I have ran fairly extensive testing using Home, Pro and LTSB and LTSB is much more efficient. Even with Pro tweaked, LTSB is much slimmer.

I hope this helps.

PS: There are some "nifty" utilities out there that helps to remove a lot of the kludginess of WIN10 if you are at all interested?

Hope this helps?

One important thing is to be able to control when updates are done. I have found this is easier in the Pro version. How do I know? Because my laptop came with Win10 Home and my desktop studio computer build uses Win10Pro.

Del, I would like to know, If I have Pro and would like to move to LTSB, would I have to pay the license fee again?

Also, how would I find utilities that would improve the efficiency of Win10?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Cary,

Regarding updates, and I know that I might get myself I real trouble here, but in both Pro and LTSB I have been able to completely disable updates. I have been unable to do this with Home.

Pro to LTSB - these seems to be a lot of confusion on this subject. I talked to a number of different people, either from MS or partners, and I never got a conclusive answer from any one of them.

However, both of this links do show an upgrade path from Pro to Enterprise.

Windows 10 Upgrade Paths
    Windows 10 Edition Upgrades - this is the main one

The utilities - I will compile a listing for you and Angie over the next few days.

Thanks!
    I knew the answer as I've always tried to use a pro version. But I wondered if anything had changed.

I would love to find an LTSB version. I usually don't upgrade and instead use a clean hard drive when moving to a new OS. That way, if I need to work before I've gotten everything stabilized I can quickly throw the old drive in.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I'm ready to upgrade the OS for the studio machine and am looking for advice. Is there any advantage to using the Pro version over the Home version?
    FWIW (maybe not much) -- every few months I come across another detail of the Home version that I find out would've been better serviced (more capable, more tweakable, etc.) with the Pro version. I'd thought, initially, that Home would be "plenty" for me. I believe I was wrong.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Hello,

As mentioned, here is compilation of handy utilities for Windows 10.

Most of these utilities were originally installed on my test-bench system, and then made into "portable apps" - so no actual installation is required. I have provided download links to the original installers if you should so choose - even though I do not see why anyone would?

All of the following utilities have been packaged into a single ZIP file for your convenience.
    Download here: WIN10_Utilities - 15.3MB

Other pertinent information:

Check out this site: Winaero

And the following:
    Classic Task Manager
    Installer download

Windows Aero Tweaker
    Installer download

Windows 10 Manager, Installer download

O&O ShutUp10
    Installer download

I do hope that you find these little snippets helpful? I did...and still do!

Attachment 2828

PS: I do find this point interesting - in that it would appear, that we are doing all that we can to make other iterations of the Windows OS's function as XP did!

How about this: If WIN10, then DO XP UNTIL 10=XP!!
    Last edited by mr_es335; 09-18-2018 at 09:20 AM.