Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default OT: Need to Downsize

Good day,

My last gig...though a successful one, was a bit devastating - to say the least.

"To much gear...too much weight,
    Being a solo guy...this is just not great!"

So, for one mic, and three guitars - will USB be okay?
    * I have just come to rely on ADAT...but maybe it just that RME is so good.
    * I am considering the Behringer UMC404HD.
    * It is similar to the ADA-8200, but has Hi-Z ins on all four channels...and I require two, so no DI's.
    * I also like the idea that it has XLR outputs.

"So give me your input, give me your say.
    And please let me know, if USB is OK!"

PS: It has been a long day....Heh..Heh!!!

Thanks in advance...as always.

Default Re: OT: Need to Downsize

USB can be OK-- if the drivers are well-written. When I was working on the lasted shrinkage of my Road Rage Recording Rig, I went laptop, which meant going USB.
    The first USB interface I tried was the Steinberg UR44. The drivers were not compatible with SawStudio, came up with "unrecognized data format". It took some digging to find out that SAW wanted something other than what they offered. The Behringer U-phoria interfaces appear to be their copy of the Steinber UR series, and if they copied the drivers, DON'T GO THERE!

I took the Steinberg back and found the Focusrite 18i8, and have since moved up to the 2nd gen version of same. It works well with SAW, but I have not tried it with SAC. It has four of the "combo" style mic inputs, the first two of which have Hi-Z instrument inputs. Adapting this to a rack shelf mount took some extra work. I now carry a 4-unit rack which is adapted to bring all important connections out to the front, and also carries a Presonus Digimax FS that feeds the Adat input of the 18i8 for a total of 12 mic inputs, 4 of which have Hi-z instrument option. I have used this rig to record drums at another studio.

I would suggest that you test drive a Focusrite interface and see if it lets you crank latency low enough for live use. After that, let me know what you find out.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Cary,
    The Behringer U-phoria interfaces appear to be their copy of the Steinberg UR series, and if they copied the drivers, DON'T GO THERE!
    ...Carey, thus far the UMC404HD is working out just great! 1x64 in SAC - no slipped buffers, even though I do the occasional one slipped buffer when changing presets in Valhalla Room. Both SAC and SAW see the UMC404HD just fine using the latest drivers.

Attachment 2835

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Cary,
    ...Carey, thus far the UMC404HD is working out just great! 1x64 in SAC - no slipped buffers, even though I do the occasional one slipped buffer when changing presets in Valhalla Room. Both SAC and SAW see the UMC404HD just fine using the latest drivers.

Attachment 2835
    That is good news. Glad it's working for you.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Cary,
    After some time, I was starting to get some intermittent "crackling" - so I adjusted the buffer size to 128. Thus far all is good.
    PS: I am using a seriously underpowered laptop for this test...so a better one will be due this week. that should improve things a bit.

Dell,

I have a Behringer UMC 1820 to which I added an ADA 8000. I've recorded up to 16 tracks at a time through SAC into SAW with no problems using a 10 year old HP laptop running Win 10.

I have a friend in California who bought the 4 channel version, and he's extremely happy with it. Both units have been rock solid, so I wouldn't be afraid to recommend it.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Blog Entries

Richard,

Thanks so much for the "heads up"! Much appreciated.

I have a Behringer UMC1820 to which I added an ADA 8000. I've recorded up to 16 tracks at a time through SAC into SAW with no problems using a 10 year old HP laptop running Win 10.
    ...so I gather that you are using USB from the UMC, then ADAT to the ADA...Correct? Interesting.

I have a friend in California who bought the 4 channel version, and he's extremely happy with it. Both units have been rock solid, so I wouldn't be afraid to recommend it.
    ...I assume that the UMC404HD is the 4-Channel version of the UMC1820...Correct? If so, this is good news indeed!

As I recall there was a thread about the Behringer UMC 1820 in the forum at one time. It seems to me that I remember reports of successful usage with SAC. I could not find the thread when I looked for it. Is there an archive of older threads??

I bought one of the X-Air 18 units. I miss many SAC features when using it. If others have had success with the 1820 I may pick one up to play with over the winter.

Blog Entries

Wink0r,

Have a peep here: RME Digiface USB

Richard,

Thanks so much for the "heads up"! Much appreciated.

...so I gather that you are using USB from the UMC, then ADAT to the ADA...Correct? Interesting.
    That's correct. USB to the computer with the UMC and ADA linked via lightpipe. I also have a small S/PDIF to audio converter that gives me two more channels, and that works well too. The only issue is that the converter is locked at 48k, so I can't record at 44.1. Not a big deal of course, just mentioning it.

...I assume that the UMC404HD is the 4-Channel version of the UMC1820...Correct? If so, this is good news indeed!
    I misspoke on this.. he's using the UMC 204HD, a two channel unit. But it IS working flawlessly for him.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.