Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: October 2018 - Least Expensive Laptop Capable of Running SAW Basic?

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I certainly wouldn't want to try and convince you that those older laptops of a used variety work great with any version of SAW..... but I've rarely ever heard anything negative about the Lenovo series of Thinkpads.
    I think you'd have to try pretty hard to find one that would not work for what you want.
    So the one in the link would be suitable, in your opinion? All I hear is how an i3 is not sufficient for audio editing, although, as you say, systems running much less than that seem to be fine. I refuse to spend more than $500 on a laptop that is probably going to self-destruct in two years, the way everything does these days.

Just noticed something. The Lenovo on Amazon has a maximum screen resolution of 1366 x 768. SAW calls for 1280 X 1024. Doesn't that mean that the bottom of my SAW desktop (i.e. the fader) will be cut off?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    So the one in the link would be suitable, in your opinion? All I hear is how an i3 is not sufficient for audio editing, although, as you say, systems running much less than that seem to be fine. I refuse to spend more than $500 on a laptop that is probably going to self-destruct in two years, the way everything does these days.
    I am not saying that I recommend that laptop in particular and given what you've posted about the screen resolution, maybe it's not suitable.

Maybe Bob can shed light on whether resizing the program(s) to fit that screen is possible.

Blog Entries

Tom,

I am not in agreement with you regarding the life expectancy of hardware.

Though there may be some validity in your statement with regards to consumer-based goods, this, at least to me anyhow, is simply NOT the case with corporate-based goods.

As a computer consultant, I have been recommending, selling and servicing used "off-lease" equipment to my clients for over 20 year now - both for home-users and for corporate clients. I use two different suppliers and the systems are graded A+, A- and B. I prefer using A+ grade, but when not available I will consider A- or even B grade systems.

A+ systems are often in "as new" condition, and some systems have never been used at all. A- systems are identical to A+ systems - but show various cosmetic inconsistencies. B systems are those systems that have had 2+ years of actual service. - but are still very functional, and therefore, still quite usable. In the end, it really depends upon pricing.

At present, I have an A+ Lenovo T540p - and which has never been used. This unit sold new for $1500.00 and I obtained the unit for $540.00.

Anyhow, this is just my $2.00CDN worth!

SAWStudio will run on the 1366 resolution and even smaller... it has handled the lower resolution screens since the introduction of the small netbooks and tablets.

Bob L

Thanks, Bob, but it's the "768" I'm concerned about. On my Asus eeePC 900 (a 9 inch screen), I can fit the left and right sides of the SAW screen, but not the entire bottom of the screen. Based on the specs of the Lenovo, I would have the same problem with it.

Anyway, I have already thrown my hands up in the air, given up, and audibly yelled at all the laptop manufacturers in the world to go screw themselves. I simply can't believe how difficult they make it to buy anything these days. You can't find just one version of one good product and you can't find a model of anything that doesn't have a string of reviews (mixed in with all the FIVE STAR reviews) that reads "Piece of junk" or "Froze up two days after I bought it and the manufacturer is not responding."

Looks like I will continue working on SAW projects while chained to my desktop computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Thanks, Bob, but it's the "768" I'm concerned about. On my Asus eeePC 900 (a 9 inch screen), I can fit the left and right sides of the SAW screen, but not the entire bottom of the screen. Based on the specs of the Lenovo, I would have the same problem with it.

Anyway, I have already thrown my hands up in the air, given up, and audibly yelled at all the laptop manufacturers in the world to go screw themselves. I simply can't believe how difficult they make it to buy anything these days. You can't find just one version of one good product and you can't find a model of anything that doesn't have a string of reviews (mixed in with all the FIVE STAR reviews) that reads "Piece of junk" or "Froze up two days after I bought it and the manufacturer is not responding."

Looks like I will continue working on SAW projects while chained to my desktop computer.
    Take a look at the Microsoft Surface Pro, I have been surprised at how decent these are.

12.3" Touch screen (2736x1824 pixels)

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 512GB, 16GB, Wi-Fi, 12.3 inch - Silver $450
    Microsoft Surface Pro (5th Gen) 1796 i5-7300U 2.6GHz | 8GB | 256GB | STYLUS PEN $575

I think the biggest flaw is the microUSB charging port, but you can charge through the standard USB port with the surface dock adaptor.

I bought 2 of the standard model 3 (Not Pro models as remotes and was very pleasantly surprised).

Also, as far as reviews in general go, there will always be somebody that's not happy. Its the total number of reviews and the overall trend you have to look consider.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Take a look at the Microsoft Surface Pro, I have been surprised at how decent these are.

12.3" Touch screen (2736x1824 pixels)

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 512GB, 16GB, Wi-Fi, 12.3 inch - Silver $450
    Microsoft Surface Pro (5th Gen) 1796 i5-7300U 2.6GHz | 8GB | 256GB | STYLUS PEN $575
    I think they are decent because they are $1,750. I was looking to spend $500-600, tops. Thanks, anyway.

Blog Entries

There are a ton of great used Laptops for sale on eBay. Here is a good eBay store that rehabs them and sales them at a great price with 30 return.

https://www.ebay.com/str/laptop-of-t...p2047675.l2563

The 768 should work fine... just make sure to install and run SAW the first time with no F-Key files setup... then the screens will automatically adjust to the display resolution... then you can modifiy to your liking and save your F-Keys.

Bob L