Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: October 2018 - Least Expensive Laptop Capable of Running SAW Basic?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Hmmm, the Alt/D move did not work for me. It did the same thing that just hitting "D" would do.
    If you mean that it removed the middle segment and pulled the last one forward, then yes... that was the intention.

What it doesn't do is to remove the middle and push the first segment back to meet the third. That is what I mentioned as well... still can't think of an easy way to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    What it doesn't do is to remove the middle and push the first segment back to meet the third. That is what I mentioned as well... still can't think of an easy way to do that.
    FWIW -- I don't think there are any one-stroke edit operations that move data forward in time. Plenty that move it backward in time, though. It seems consistent with the intent of building a project forward -- from start to finish -- from left to right.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    If you mean that it removed the middle segment and pulled the last one forward, then yes... that was the intention.

Alt/D did not remove the middle and pull the last one forward. All it did was delete everything to the left of the cursor point, just as "D," alone, would have done.

So, I have segment 1, segment 2, and segment 3. My cursor was in the middle of segment 2. I pressed Alt/D and segment 2 just got chopped in half, right where my cursor was. I want segment 2 to be completely deleted, and I want segment 3 to move forward and splice itself to segment 1.

Alt/D did not remove the middle and pull the last one forward. All it did was delete everything to the left of the cursor point, just as "D," alone, would have done.

So, I have segment 1, segment 2, and segment 3. My cursor was in the middle of segment 2. I pressed Alt/D and segment 2 just got chopped in half, right where my cursor was. I want segment 2 to be completely deleted, and I want segment 3 to move forward and splice itself to segment 1.
    Just as you use D as an alternate choice for K, when making the second cut -
    so too do you use Alt/D as an alternate choice for the second cut.
    The difference being whether the first cut is before the second (use D for the second), or the first cut was made after where you want to make a second cut (use Alt/D for the second cut).

If you have already made two cuts, creating three segments, then you are correct that pressing Alt/D will not do what I said it should do.

Blog Entries

Hello,

I obtained the Lenovo T540p and I must say..."What a great laptop!"

The one I obtained is in mint condition along with an ADAT 480GB SSD.

Initial tests with the UMC404HD are very good..but will be doing further testing over the next few days.

I definitely do not want a used or refurbished computer of ANY kind. Some people have a lot of luck with them. I have enough trouble with NEW computers!

Blog Entries

Tom,
    I definitely do not want a used or refurbished computer of ANY kind. Some people have a lot of luck with them. I have enoughtrouble with NEW computers!
    ...Tom, in all honesty, you must be doing something WRONG?

First, do you understand that, in most cases, these used units are corporate-grade units, and not consumer-grade systems?

Second, I have been selling such systems since I began my own computer consulting business back in 1999...so this is 19 years of history. Most of these units have been sold to client's that are what I refer to as "heavy users"...and, for whatever reason, these units have NOT given them any trouble whatsoever.
    * Note, I just checked by sales history, and in the last three years I have sold over 350 used laptops, with one failure - which was the result of a bad screen. A change-out of the defective screen and the unit went back into service.

You simply cannot go wrong with any of the used IBM ThinkPad's or Dell Latitudes. Even some of the HP Elite systems are very good as well.

I will tell you this, Tom, if you were to by a used laptop from me, I will "stick my neck out" and guarantee that one of my used laptops will not give you any trouble whatsoever.
    * As long I know what the unit is going to be used for, and what software and hardware is going to be used on that system, I will make this offer to you.
    * Also, both SAC and SAW have been used on very "light" systems in the past, and perform very well on such systems.

The point is this, find yourself a reputable used computer dealer. If you are unable to locate one, the fellow that I have dealt with for over 10 years now, has an eBay store, so you could obtain a unit from him.

I hope this information will set your mind at ease a bit.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 10-19-2018 at 06:18 PM.

I have to agree whole heartedly with Dell on this one - 8 of the last computer I bought (2 laptops and 6 desktops) were all used - at least 5-6 years old when I got them - and all have run great for anywhere from 6 months ago to almost 10 years ago now. I found them all in the local area and from a reputable liquidator, who refurbishes computers. All mine have been business/corporate type as well.

Both laptops have been Thinkpads, as I mentioned before and the desktops have been standard office HPs and Dells... and all were bought cheaply enough to have plenty of room in the budget to max out RAM and upgrade power supplies and other peripherals, where needed - and all without breaking the bank.

I definitely do not want a used or refurbished computer of ANY kind. Some people have a lot of luck with them. I have enough trouble with NEW computers!
    I have bought used computers that worked perfectly, and at least one is still in service. I have also had used comps that went bad. My last studio computer upgrade, I went through several different NAME BRAND new machines, none of which were workable for my need, some with immediate hardware failures, and finally built from scratch (what I did for most of my studio machines over the years). That scratch computer was EXPENSIVE. I recently bought a used machine for five dollars that probably could have done the job, and am keeping it as a spare.

I will say that I am less confident with used laptops than with used desktop machines. Laptops tend to get beat up more, from what I've seen.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

I have bought three used Thinkpads and one used Dell Latitude with excellent results using SAW and SAC. Not an issue whatsoever. I paid $150 each for the Thinkpads and $300 for the (newer) Dell. I've repurposed two of the Thinkpads and I use the Dell only for remote recording, but they all worked perfectly in the role of SAW machines.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.