Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Behringer UMC 404HD

Good day,

A question: "Is it possible for an audio interface to colour the audio of SAC?"

For instance, the ADA-8200 sounds wonderful with SAC. So, I surmised that the UMC 404HD using the mic pre's would be similar, if not identical to the ADA's. And this is what I believe that I am hearing.

However, the instrument input sounds "horrible" - especially with Overloud's TH3. I thought that it might be the Bose L1's - but testing out another audio interface proves that it is UMC that is at fault here. All that I can say is "Bummer man!"

Due to space limitations and such, I am looking for a 4-Channel USB audio interface - and there is not a whole lot to choose from. I mean the UMC was $150.00!!

So, I am now testing out a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - as the Scarlett 18i8 is not any available at the moment. And interestingly, at least what I believe that I am hearing, is not as nice as the UMC.

I mean, is it possible that SAC sounds so good it-and-of-itself, and that the other so-called better audio interfaces can actually have an adverse effect on SAC?

I have a gig coming soon and I thought that all was "good" - but now it is not.

So, any input - literally, would be very greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 10-28-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Default Re: Behringer UMC 404HD

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Good day,

A question: "Is it possible for an audio interface to colour the audio of SAC?"

For instance, the ADA-8200 sounds wonderful with SAC. So, I surmised that the UMC 404HD using the mic pre's would be similar, if not identical to the ADA's. And this is what I believe that I am hearing.

However, the instrument input sounds "horrible" - especially with Overloud's TH3. I thought that it might be the Bose L1's - but testing out another audio interface proves that it is UMC that is at fault here. All that I can say is "Bummer man!"

Due to space limitations and such, I am looking for a 4-Channel USB audio interface - and there is not a whole lot to choose from. I mean the UMC was $150.00!!

So, I am now testing out a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - as the Scarlett 18i8 is not any available at the moment. And interestingly, at least what I believe that I am hearing, is not as nice as the UMC.

I mean, is it possible that SAC sounds so good it-and-of-itself, and that the other so-called better audio interfaces can actually have an adverse effect on SAC?

I have a gig coming soon and I thought that all was "good" - but now it is not.

So, any input - literally, would be very greatly appreciated.
    Ideally SAC doesn't really sound like anything, its entirely dependent on the digital audio supplied to it. So yes the audio chain can have a big impact.

The ADA8200 has a remarkably good/clean input chain particularly for such an inexpensive unit. I wouldn't however assume that the UMC uses the same input circuitry. Additionally the ADA8200's where connected to some other ADAT interface which also plays a part in what gets into the computer, although the D/A conversion is done in the ADA8200s.

$150 is cheap (Which is also what makes the ADA8200 such an amazing product). Good preamps are easily $1000 and up.

The move I'm making from the ADA8200's to the MOTU 8M is almost a 10x price increase (At least if I had to purchase new). And while I do think the MOTU unit is a step up from the Behringer, its by no means a high-end preamp.

You'll have to try a few different options to see what works.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Default ix channe

Dell...I use the Behringer UMC 404HD on one of my studio computers and for remote recording, and it's one of the cleanest interfaces I've heard. I drive the line inputs from a Behringer six channel mixer with no problem. Typically the instrument inputs have a sensitivity somewhere between a mic input and a line input, and a high impedance(1meg). you don't need a DI box with them. If you use any unit before them, try using the line inputs.
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

.....PS...I have 2i2 as well, but I like the sound of the UMC 404HD better.
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Hi,

I assume that there is an other problem, based on the use of the USB input instead of ADAT. For instance, if the settings (depth and/or samplerate) do not match, the driver or the system could do a (really bad) format conversation/sample-rate conversion, which might create artefacts.

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

The UMC units are pretty good... if you say the mic pres sound ok... perhaps try using a direct box for your gtr input connected thru the xlr mic pre... should sound perfect.

Bob L

I haven't experienced anything like this with my UMC 1820. I've plugged guitar directly into the 1/4" inputs with excellent results. I definitely would blame this issue on something other than the UMC.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Definitely check your gain staging. You may very well be overdriving the input.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Hello,

Well, I sincerely believe that it is not an issue with gain staging...it must be the input itself. I tested out a second unit and the same issue is evident. The same goes for all inputs. However, when I use a DI - "all is good!"

At present,I am in dialog with the folks at Behringer - and we will see what transpires there.

What IS interesting, is that when I A/B the UMC with the Focusrite Scarlett, for example - the UMC is definitely less coloured and therefore, more natural sounding. In the latter case, I am hearing my nylon-strung guitar "acoustically" - just louder.

Regardless of what Behringer does, I will stick with the UMC and the DI route.

Thanks to all the replied - your comments and suggestions are always greatly appreciated.

That makes it sound like an impedance mismatch.