Close

Default Samplerate conversion issue

Hey there-
    I received some files that were recorded in 48k/24bit. When I bring the vocal file into a multitrack session that is 44.1k/16bit I get this subtle ringing at high frequencies. When I bring the same file into a session where the multitrack is 48k/24bit, the ringing is not present. I've tried converting by mixing down the raw file from the 48k/24bit session to a 44.1k/16bit file but I still ended up with the ringing.
    Any ideas what's going on and how I can remedy this issue?

Here are links to files (15 seconds each) for comparison if you want to have a listen:
    http://withoutreservation.com/share/test-48k.wav
    http://withoutreservation.com/share/test-441k.wav

Thanks!
    Kent
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Default Re: Samplerate conversion issue

Quote Originally Posted by Kent F View Post
    Hey there-
    I received some files that were recorded in 48k/24bit. When I bring the vocal file into a multitrack session that is 44.1k/16bit I get this subtle ringing at high frequencies. When I bring the same file into a session where the multitrack is 48k/24bit, the ringing is not present. I've tried converting by mixing down the raw file from the 48k/24bit session to a 44.1k/16bit file but I still ended up with the ringing.
    Any ideas what's going on and how I can remedy this issue?

Here are links to files (15 seconds each) for comparison if you want to have a listen:
    http://withoutreservation.com/share/test-48k.wav
    http://withoutreservation.com/share/test-441k.wav

Thanks!
    Kent
    Have you looked at the sample rate conversion quality settings? You can choose quality levels for both multitrack playback (real-time SRC) as well as for any SRC done during buildmix operations. With today's modern computers, I see no reason to set them lower than the highest quality setting. In fact, I never have.

FWIW, I don't hear the ringing when playing your files here. So, maybe your problem is during playback with your hardware? Are you sure your hardware is tracking the sample rate and bit-depth changes that SAW is asking for when you drop to 44.1/16?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 11-12-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I'm also not hearing anything odd about the 44.1k file compared to the 48k.

I've tried playback through two different interfaces ( my USB connected studio monitors and Motu connected headphones).
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I think it's the output source. I have been monitoring from the audio off the motherboard... no special audio card.

You both said you can't hear a difference so I went back to check the files and had a listen to them in a couple of different ways. When I play them through Windows Media Player there is no difference. When I bring them into SAWStudio, there is. Opened the files in Sound Forge and had the same problem... but when I changed the Audio output to my Presonus StudioLive it went away. I guess monitoring from the PC isn't cutting it in this case. It's strange though that it sounds fine through Windows Media Player.
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Quote Originally Posted by Kent F View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the help. I think it's the output source. I have been monitoring from the audio off the motherboard... no special audio card.

You both said you can't hear a difference so I went back to check the files and had a listen to them in a couple of different ways. When I play them through Windows Media Player there is no difference. When I bring them into SAWStudio, there is. Opened the files in Sound Forge and had the same problem... but when I changed the Audio output to my Presonus StudioLive it went away. I guess monitoring from the PC isn't cutting it in this case. It's strange though that it sounds fine through Windows Media Player.

My guess is that WMP is actually switching sample rates, and the other two are doing real-time sample rate conversion instead.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.