Close

Default OT: Desktop suggestions for podcast client studio machine

I'm thinking an i5 with 8 GB RAM, an SSD for booting and a 1 TB HDD, but I don't know if I can get all that for $500-ish.

We have a ten-year-old HP whose Pentium D dual-core processor can no longer do all that we're asking of it, which is the following worst-case load situation:

Recording a few tracks in Reaper while handling a Chrome-based WebRTC conversation and allowing for me to remote in via Teamviewer at the same time. The latter two processes are more intensive than I'd realized, and are currently pushing the CPU load over 100% according to Task Manager. We're currently on Windows 10 Home, which we would like to stay with, unless there's a really good reason to go with Pro.

Any suggestions for a sturdy machine (it's left on all the time, rebooted every few days, FWIW) would be most appreciated. Hoping for something "off-the-shelf," rather than taking the time to build one.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: Desktop suggestions for podcast client studio machine

Dave,

My 1U system would be more than adequate for your needs. See classifieds here. Could part it out if you are interested.

$695CDN is $530US...
    Last edited by mr_es335; 11-08-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

My 1U system would be more than adequate for your needs. See classifieds here. Could part it out if you are interested.

$695CDN is $530US...
    Thanks, Dell. I keep that in mind. Client is currently getting a price from a local vendor.

Question: I count four USB ports -- two USB 2, two USB 3 (which, I would guess, is backward compatible to USB 2). Is that right?

Another question: looks like PSA/2 type connections for mouse and keyboard. I thought those went away, like, ten years ago. No? (Gives you an idea how often I look at the back of my computer.)
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

Question: I count four USB ports -- two USB 2, two USB 3 (which, I would guess, is backward compatible to USB 2). Is that right?
    Response 1: That is correct and correct.

Question 2: looks like PSA/2 type connections for mouse and keyboard. I thought those went away, like, ten years ago. No?
    Response 2: Do not ask me why...but there are still high-end motherboards that have PS/2 ports on them??

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

Response 1: That is correct and correct.

Question 2: looks like PSA/2 type connections for mouse and keyboard. I thought those went away, like, ten years ago. No?
    Response 2: Do not ask me why...but there are still high-end motherboards that have PS/2 ports on them??
    Hmph. I wonder how many folks use PS/2 ports these days. I've read that they're preferred over USB for some reason.

Also meant to ask you: I see the top appears to have been cut away for ventilation. How loud is the box? The computer we acquire will have to reside under a table in the same room with open mics.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

The fan(s) are very quiet - just a whisper really.