Close

Default Sliding/dragging tracks forward by a fixed amount

Hello All,

I have LOTS of wav files that have pairs of mono tracks within the multitrack files that need to be slid/dragged forward by a fixed amount of 20815 samples...I can do this manually, but is it possible with combo of keystrokes to slide forward by a fixed amount to save time? I have read the manual and use Sawstudio since its beta and I cant figure how to do this...Thanks for any help in advance!!

Mike

Default Re: Sliding/dragging tracks forward by a fixed amount

Quote Originally Posted by aludra View Post
    Hello All,

I have LOTS of wav files that have pairs of mono tracks within the multitrack files that need to be slid/dragged forward by a fixed amount of 20815 samples...I can do this manually, but is it possible with combo of keystrokes to slide forward by a fixed amount to save time? I have read the manual and use Sawstudio since its beta and I cant figure how to do this...Thanks for any help in advance!!

Mike
    Not that I know of. It shouldn't be too hard, though, to select all the region entries you want to shift, then move them all at once -- yes, manually. I would use the marked area functionality and B and E keys to find the destination point first, then create a memorized locate point there, so you can snap everything at once, rather than drag it and possibly mess up your move.

You could also read up on the Slip Track functionality to see if that might be useful in your circumstance.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Not that I know of. It shouldn't be too hard, though, to select all the region entries you want to shift, then move them all at once -- yes, manually. I would use the marked area functionality and B and E keys to find the destination point first, then create a memorized locate point there, so you can snap everything at once, rather than drag it and possibly mess up your move.

You could also read up on the Slip Track functionality to see if that might be useful in your circumstance.
    The slip track in conjunction with the B/E keys marked areas, in conjunction with a locator point with your destination is a great combination. I use this all the time.

Also, you could use the Select mode (S key) and select all the regions you want to move at one time, then either use the Backspace to move them, keyed to the leading edge of the last region clicked on, or you can use Shift/Backspace to make the rear edge of the last clicked region to be your key as well They will then move to wherever you have placed your cursor (the cursor can be moved by clicking on the timeline, or by clicking on a saved locator, but not by clicking inside the MT, while Select Mode is engaged).

A couple or so caveats to pay attention to:
    1- Make sure that the last clicked region is also the hot track, or the regions will be displaced to whatever hot track you happen to have highlighted (a keyed region from track 1, followed by regions on tracks 2-10 could end up starting on track 10 and going through track 19, if the hot track has been changed to 10 before the move, for instance).
    2- Click on the first region and then use Alt/Click on the last region to select all regions vertically and horizontally that are within the boundaries of the first and last region to make selection faster (sort of like lassoing them).... I don't recall if the first region remains the key, however, or if it changes to the last one you click on, so you might want to experiment once to find out.
    3- Selected regions can be put in groups (found by right-clicking the Select button {S}), which allows for easier manipulation of regions that are not right near each other and to be selected easier - but it also has many caveats to watch out for.

My guess is that if all of your regions have the same front edge boundary (and any others to be moved are within the marked area), that the B/E key and slip track to cursor function will be the easiest to learn. The slip track commands are found by right-clicking any MT track channel label area.
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 11-21-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks for all the replies...I actually came up with a much simpler solution...I setup a mix and set locate points and insert the tracks to the locate points needed....much less chance for me screwing up sliding tracks....SawStudio is great DAW and I have loved using it ever since it first came out...Looking forward to the 64bit version coming soon!

Thanks,
    Mike

Could you create a blank/silent audio file of that length, then insert it before the region?
    I may not be grasping the whole picture of what you're trying to do.