Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 64 bit SAW

Default Re: 64 bit SAW

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    I didn't even think about the compatibility of "legacy" SawNative plugins. Does this mean that with the 64 bit version of SS I will also have to buy new 64 bit versions of the native plugins? That could be a pretty serious obstacle to going for the update. I still need to know if jbridge will work for allowing 32 bit VSTs to work in the 64 bit version of SawStudio. I am fairly certain that my "go to" VST stuff will NOT be ported to 64 bit.
    That situation is probably going to happen for some older plugins however I will still opt for 64 bit as that is the standard for most plugins nowadays. FWIW, I have been purchasing quite a few VST plugins in the last few years come with a choice that is, you can elect to install 32 or 64 bit versions that is, a 64 bit version of the plugin is included in the purchase. This would mean I will have to reinstall them as 64 bit versions however not repurchase them.

I have a 64 bit version of Reaper I use for plugins that wont work in SAW. Reaper recognises all the plugins I have installed as 32 bit in Saw as I also install them as 64 bit elsewhere on the PC at the same time (for example, Waves and Slate plugins). Time will tell as to what is really needed The older plugins are a concern however I am finding I am using them less and less these days
    Last edited by Bruce Callaway; 11-28-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Cary,
    That could be a pretty serious obstacle to going for the update.
    ...You can keep using the 32-bit version of the software, and move to the 64-bit version as needed. In the "computer world", I refer to either a "migration" or a "roll-out". The move to 64-bit SAW - and SAC for that matter, should really be considered as a migration.

I am making 64 bit versions of all of my plugins and will make them available free to all who have registered 32 bit versions.

The MWS will come later and probably carry a small fee.

Bob L

4. Default Re: 64 bit SAW

i wonder, sonoris eq gives a 64 bit integer only sawstudio version. but native version paralel sonoris eq does this feature ? So the result between the native version and sawstudio version is the same ?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 80bit; 11-29-2018 at 04:14 AM.

JBridge works as a 32-64, 32-32 (for memory access on a 64 bit OS) and 64-32bit VST converter. It doesn’t do VST3.x plugins though.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Excellent news Bob! Thanks so much for your continued work on developing SAWStudio, and I without a question agree that the new version will merit an upgrade fee for which I am happy to pay for.

As for plugin migration - most good VST's out there are available in 64bit versions now - and for the "legacy" 32bit ones we use now JBridge should work to allow them to be used - https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

For SAW native plugins lets take a look at likely migration efforts by every company that has issued them -
    * RML Labs - stated would issue updates
    * Brainspawn - http://www.totalsonic.net/brainspawn.htm - plugins discontinued, zero hope for updates
    * Anwida - http://www.anwida.com/ - still available but no real updates to SAW versions in around 12 years, so very unsure if they would undertake ports
    * Elements - http://elements.byethost3.com/plugins.html?i=1 - just issued an update to their excellent GEQ plugin (and also made two free reverb plugins just last year) - this is the only third party developer doing recent development for SAW native plugins so perhaps would consider port to 64bit for their 3 offerings
    * JMS Audioware - https://www.jms-audioware.com/ - no development for 10 years, but I had emailed Jon a few months ago and he is still around and kicking, although involved with different stuff these days. Perhaps he would be open to us begging for ports, still that is an if.
    * Sonoris - http://www.sonorissoftware.com/catal...gins-c-28.html - last update specifically for SAW was around 10 years ago as well, Pieter has moved onto focusing on mastering applications and VST plugin development - but again perhaps if we begged hard enough for ports he might consider doing them. There ARE 64bit VST plugin versions for pretty much all of the Sonoris SAW native plugins out - and these are in fact more recently updated and sometimes have more features - so changing to these is one possible option, but these are not currently automate-able in SAW, so definitely would be a step down in features for many SAW users too.

I am guessing that our current "legacy" DX plugins would also not function on the 64bit platform?

Anyway - stuff to consider in terms of transitioning our studios towards using 64bit applications and plugins. There are indeed mixes with high track numbers, as well as memory heavy VST plugins that work better in 64bit environments where they can take advantage of additional RAM and the wider bus. But there are also a good number of tools I rely on that are working fine in the 32bit environment that it would be a major regression in my work flow not to have them available anymore. Just some food for though in this.

Bob - is the SDK / API for the 64bit SAW native plugin versions available to developers already?

Best regards,
    Steve Berson
    Last edited by TotalSonic; 11-29-2018 at 01:26 PM.

No... the API is not finalized yet.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Bob,
    The MWS will come later and probably carry a small fee.
    ...No worries about the fee for MWS...it will be well worth the upgrade fee.

9. Default Re: 64 bit SAW

when i activate HQ mode when using sonoris saw eq, I get the FXbuffer Chain warning but the music continues to play, do I have a problem ? if I bounce while this warning is standing there

Name:  Ads***305;z.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  20.4 KB
    Last edited by 80bit; 11-30-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 80bit View Post
    when i activate HQ mode when using sonoris saw eq, I get the FXbuffer Chain warning but the music continues to play, do I have a problem ? if I bounce while this warning is standing there
    The HQ upsampling mode in the Sonoris EQ requires additional latency (which is automatically compensated for in SAWStudio) and will trigger that warning - but there is no problem at all from that - it is working as it supposed to.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson