Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Snapshot channel settings to Automation on multiple tracks simultaneously

Interesting. I hadn't thought these functions would work across multiple channels and channel types; I appear to be half correct. See if you don't concur.

Storing from channel to file -- yes, it will save as many channels and channel type setting files as you like all at once. Oddly, though, you can only name the furthest-left-(on the factory-default mixer layout)selected-channel file before saving (must be a simple coding oversight). All other file names default to track label, then track number if the label is blank. I guess maybe Bob only meant the dialog only as a means to provide navigation capabilities, but in that case I'da thought he'd disable the filename field for user input.

That is one element I tried to point out earlier in the thread and it’s why I went into detail about how I’ve taken to keeping a folder system for each set of file stores I create and might want to recall.

As for restoring from file to channel, I see no way to select more than one file at a time in the restore dialog. As such, I don't know how one would restore more than one settings file at a time to multiple tracks, let alone to multiple channel types. This goes for the "Recall All From File And Duplicate To Selected Channels" function, too.

To recall multiple file stores at one time, you simply select all the channels you want in your mixer view, then use the recall function – It automatically populates all channels whos names exactly match those that are stored (or were previously stored in that location/folder). Sometimes I will actually use these file recalls in whole or individually to create a starting mix for other projects. It gets tricky because of the need to have exact track names when recalling multiple selected tracks, but is also very flexible in that a single recall can be made to any other single track in any other project, regardless of track name – think of using the Store All To Memory Cell works… It will tell you when it can’t find a particular file by name – I don’t remember offhand if it stops there, or populates all that are exact and leaves out the others….. I believe the later is true.

Sidebar: I've always thought it a little odd that Bob added a whole menu item ("Recall All From File And Duplicate To Selected Channels"), rather than just have the existing Restore-From-File function respond to multiple selected channels. I digress

What do you think, UTD?

Recall all and duplicate is meant to recall a single channel file (which you can specifically select, even from a group of saved files) and automatically populate all selected mixer channels (only of the same type – input, output, return) with the same settings. I’ve not tried it on channels whos name are the same as others in the saved file group – It may ignore the request o populate the selected group with the same settings and instead default to the populating according to file/track name – something to experiment with, I suppose. I’ve always handpicked channels to duplicate using the Cell Memory options.

Oh -- still not clear on what you meant by "There are options when selecting channels to select ALL, or only Inputs, or Outputs, etc. as you know." Do you mean you have the freedom to select only the channels or channel types you're interested in when you're actually making the selections? Or do you mean there's an option somewhere to make that choice?

I was speaking in terms of the convenience of the mixer menu choices for choosing many tracks (darkening groups) at once by the use of the Group “presets” found in the menu for saving channel select groups and not in saving to file function – just as a reminder of this convenient way to select groups of channels, without the need to cherry-pick them. Sometimes it’s faster, although when using it to recall saved file groups in automation mode, it can be really messy with all that automation written across so many potentially unused tracks.

P.S. I seem to recall a way to match up .cht files with channels by name -- for several channel restores at once. Can't find that, now. Or am I thinking of something else?

THAT IS the function called Recall All From File that we have been speaking of…

Default Re: Snapshot channel settings to Automation on multiple tracks simultaneously

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Interesting. I hadn't thought these functions would work across multiple channels and channel types; I appear to be half correct. See if you don't concur.

Storing from channel to file -- yes, it will save as many channels and channel type setting files as you like all at once. Oddly, though, you can only name the furthest-left-(on the factory-default mixer layout)selected-channel file before saving (must be a simple coding oversight). All other file names default to track label, then track number if the label is blank. I guess maybe Bob only meant the dialog only as a means to provide navigation capabilities, but in that case I'da thought he'd disable the filename field for user input.

That is one element I tried to point out earlier in the thread and it’s why I went into detail about how I’ve taken to keeping a folder system for each set of file stores I create and might want to recall.
    That's a good idea.

As for restoring from file to channel, I see no way to select more than one file at a time in the restore dialog. As such, I don't know how one would restore more than one settings file at a time to multiple tracks, let alone to multiple channel types. This goes for the "Recall All From File And Duplicate To Selected Channels" function, too.

To recall multiple file stores at one time, you simply select all the channels you want in your mixer view, then use the recall function – It automatically populates all channels whos names exactly match those that are stored (or were previously stored in that location/folder). Sometimes I will actually use these file recalls in whole or individually to create a starting mix for other projects. It gets tricky because of the need to have exact track names when recalling multiple selected tracks, but is also very flexible in that a single recall can be made to any other single track in any other project, regardless of track name – think of using the Store All To Memory Cell works… It will tell you when it can’t find a particular file by name – I don’t remember offhand if it stops there, or populates all that are exact and leaves out the others….. I believe the later is true.
    Well, that seems like a not-very-intuitive way to implement such funtionality. There's nothing in the process that makes it clear that that's what's happening. And the fact that you can only select a single file (when you may be restoring many) is misleading. You just have to know how it works. It does sound familiar, now. That must be the name-matching thing I was remembering. Everything in the interface leads one to think it's limited to single-file operations. Nothing to indicate the option of multiple-restores-at-once. It is nice that it's there, of course.

Sidebar: I've always thought it a little odd that Bob added a whole menu item ("Recall All From File And Duplicate To Selected Channels"), rather than just have the existing Restore-From-File function respond to multiple selected channels. I digress

What do you think, UTD?

Recall all and duplicate is meant to recall a single channel file (which you can specifically select, even from a group of saved files) and automatically populate all selected mixer channels (only of the same type – input, output, return) with the same settings. I’ve not tried it on channels whos name are the same as others in the saved file group – It may ignore the request o populate the selected group with the same settings and instead default to the populating according to file/track name – something to experiment with, I suppose. I’ve always handpicked channels to duplicate using the Cell Memory options.
    Right, and I was thinking that could just be done with the prior restore-from-file function, but now I see that if you select multiple channels with that prior function, SAW's looking to match file names with track names to, potentially, do a multiple-file/multi-channel recall, so the single-file-to-many-channels function has to go somewhere else. Thus, the added menu item.

I'm glad we had this little talk.

Seriously -- thanks for the refresher.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Well, you've helped me start thinking more in depth about these menu options........ I appreciate the nudge.
    That's something I will have to play with while I have a bit of free time - well..... after this weekend anyway.

Using the "Recall From File To Chan" option allows you to select multiple channels in any mixer view and recall them all by name matching the stored chan files. So as long as the chan names are the same as the names of the stored files, all selected mixer chans will recall in one operation.

For instance... a complete drum set of chans labeled kick, snare, hi hat, tom1, tom2, tom3, CymL, and CymR can be stored to chan files in one operation and a new session with drum chans labeled the same way can be recalled in one operation.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Using the "Recall From File To Chan" option allows you to select multiple channels in any mixer view and recall them all by name matching the stored chan files. So as long as the chan names are the same as the names of the stored files, all selected mixer chans will recall in one operation.

For instance... a complete drum set of chans labeled kick, snare, hi hat, tom1, tom2, tom3, CymL, and CymR can be stored to chan files in one operation and a new session with drum chans labeled the same way can be recalled in one operation.

Bob L
    Yes. I'd forgotten how that worked. I was observing that it's not indicated in any way via the interface; and for such a power feature, that might be a good thing. Some kind of visual/text cues. That's probably why it left my memory banks. That and my age-savaged cortex.
    Becket, Massachusetts

From the helpfile (a good place to look for information):
    Saving Channel Settings
    [Alt-Right-Clicking] in any mixer view displays the Store/Recall menu. The Save All To File From Memory and Load All From File To Memory options allow any memory cell to be saved to a disk channel template file or loaded from a disk channel template file. The file extension used is .cht.
    * The Store All From Channel To File and Recall All From File To Channel options allow direct transfers to and from channel template files to mixer channels through memory cell 1. This can act as a very powerful partial mix template system.
    These options operate across selected channels. The starting channel opens the File Dialog allowing you to specify a path and name. The default name is filled in to match the channel label. Each selected channel will write a separate file named the same as the channel label. This creates a channel mix template of individual files, one per selected channel. Recalling channel settings from a file also operates across selected channels. The starting channel opens the File Dialog allowing you to specify a path and name. The default name is filled in to match the first channel label. Each selected channel will look for a file named the same as its label and if one is found in the specified path, it will load. If no matching file is found it will leave this channel alone. This allows you to recall settings to multiple channels in a new edl with channel labels that match the channel template names. This is extremely useful for an album project, for instance. You have recorded 10 songs, all of which are very similar, but not identical in track layout. The basic rhythm tracks are the same, Kick, Snare, Toms, Cym LR, Bass, Guitar, etc***8230; Now, after finishing the mix of the first song, you select all the channels and store the settings to files. It's a good idea to create a Mix Template folder under the main project folder. You then open the next song, and select all channels and recall the files from this folder. This will find and match each channel with its associated file settings, including patched plugins, even if the track order has been changed, and ignore any channel with a different label that was not part of the other song. By labeling tracks in a similar fashion across all projects, you can easily exchange mix settings from one unrelated project edl to another, one channel at a time, or all at once.
    The Recall All From File And Duplicate To Selected Channels option opens the file dialog and allows you to select a file. The settings will be recalled and duplicated on all selected channels.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Hello,

As Bob stated, looking at the helpful is a great place to start.
    * I have hard-copies of both SAC and SAW User Manuals and refer to these "by my bedstead" quite frequently.

In particular, I found this feature extremely helpful in SAC. For example, I configure I-01, then I select [Store All From Channel To File].

I then select say I-02 to I-05.

For I-02, I then select [Recall All From File And Duplicate To Selected Channels], thus copying the previously saved data from I-01 to I-02 to I-05.

Using Scenes, I can now test various channel configurations - A/B'ing each channel in turn with I-01.

Great feature-set indeed!

I've never really been able to get this to work in the past...thanks for this discussion :-)
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

Yes, Bob, I know it's in the help file.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 12-10-2018 at 08:00 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts