Close

Default Weird little bug I've never noticed before

Actually, I've been seeing it for months, but until recently had always assumed it was operator error.

When doing a Save Session As... a certain way, I'm getting a double dot in the resulting filename (e.g. session..edl)

Open Save As... dialogue
    Select *.* from the "Save as type" dropbox in the dialogue (so I can easily name the EDL identically to the base name of a pre-existing WAV file in the same project folder)
    Click on a WAV file
    Delete the end of the name in the File name field, including the dot and WAV extension (e.g. so that "session_track1.wav" becomes "session")
    Click the Save button

The resulting session file name has two dots before the extension. (i.e. session..edl)

The same thing happens with the Save Session Copy As... and Save and Trim Session functions, so I assume it happens for the other new-session-creating functions under those (on the File menu), too.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Default Re: Weird little bug I've never noticed before

Dave,

Verified on my end...interesting...does not seem to affect anything...and should not be too difficult to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

Verified on my end...interesting...does not seem to affect anything...and should not be too difficult to fix.
    So... I'm not crazy?

Standard forum reply: "I didn't say that, Dave."
    Becket, Massachusetts

Verified here, too, Dave.
    Never noticed that one before, but have never needed to use it that way either.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I imagine that's why no one's ever noticed it before. But here's why it's handy for me to work that way for this client...

A couple times a week the client records a podcast. The tracking results in two or three discrete WAV files (one each for host and guest(s)), which I import to SAWStudio for the post-production. It's important that we use the correct and same file name for all related files: original recording session file (in another host), WAV files (which have added, unique suffixes), SAW EDL, and MP3 final render. The best way I know to maintain that file name is to keep my fingers out of it and use the base file name for one of the WAVs as I save the SAW session, and when I create the MP3 (using LACE in SAW). Using the File Type drop-down allows me to copy the base name directly from an existing file, and then maintain a smooth, accurate "chain of custody" as the name moves through the various file creations, the spectre of human error having been minimized.

Interestingly, I don't have the issue in the MP3-naming dialog. Although there is no *.* option in that dialogue, I manually type in "*.*" to reveal the other files before clicking on one to steal its name. However, using the same approach in the previously mentioned dialogs (like "Save As..."), which is how I usually do it, does evoke the bug, just as using the *.* File type drop-down does. So, it's a little curious why the MP3 dialog works fine. Maybe the subroutine JMS used for that dialog is different than the one Bob used for the others?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 01-23-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Bob never chimed in, here, so I'm wondering if anyone can test this out in the 64-bit version of SAW/SAC to see if it might qualify as a currently-addressable bug. Hopefully, the fix would then trickle down to us old-school 32-bitters.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,
    ...so I'm wondering if anyone can test this out in the 64-bit version of SAW/SAC to see if it might qualify as a currently-addressable bug. Hopefully, the fix would then trickle down to us old-school 32-bitters.
    ...Dave, I performed this process using the 64-bit version of SAWStudio and am able to replicate the error.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,
    ...Dave, I performed this process using the 64-bit version of SAWStudio and am able to replicate the error.
    Thanks, Dell! I'll mention it in the 64-bit bug thread to be sure Bob's aware.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    That's because we never had Dave point it out before
    But I do get the same results here as Dave pointed out.
    Last edited by Carl G.; 02-06-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com