Close

Default Importing Polyphonic Files

I'm soooo excited to hear about the 64bit version of SAW so I can now use SAW with my UAD Apollo 16 converters.

Now especially in light of the updated SAW release soon I'd be very interested to find out if I would be able to import polyphonic .WAV files. I do a lot of production audio which I record on Sound Devices Mixer/Recorders and now days all of my clients are asking for polyphonic audio files. They import them directly into their video editing software and as I understand the poly file is broken into it's individual tracks and placed on the timeline based on the file headers time stamp. Will SAW be able to do this? If not why?

I'd like to provide my clients with more post production audio services so the need to import poly files is extremely important to me and I must say I'd really prefer to use SAW since I'm really comfortable with it and for all of the obvious other reasons. Please don't force me to use Pro Tools !!!!!

Thoughts?

Ken Dabek
    West End Recording

Default Re: Importing Polyphonic Files

Bob in one of his recent posts made it clear the initial SAWStudio 64bit update would be a porting of all current features and plugins to 64bit architecture and would not include any new features in this next release.
    For import of polyphonic (aka multi-channel) wav files into SAW I highly recommend Sound Devices' free Wave Agent conversion software - available at http://www.sounddevices.com/products...are/wave-agent
    This will extract each channel to the appropriate number of mono wav files which can then be loaded into SAWStudio as needed.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Unfortunately that's a cumbersome work around that I already use! Why is it so difficult to get SAW into the 21st century? Don't get me wrong I love my SAW and have been using since SAW Classic and I completely understand the struggles associated with being a one man shop, and appreciate the intrinsic value of SAW but I feel it would just make the interface that much more desirable and attract even more users if it was more compatible with some of the aspects of all of the other current DAW interfaces. Good Lord, even Audacity can do this, it just seems so counter intuitive.

Sorry for the frustration,
    Ken Dabek

I can’t help with the polyphonic wave files, but I am curious why you say the UAD interface doesn’t work in SAW32bit? I have not had any issues with UAD stuff in SAW32bit.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by West End View Post
    Why is it so difficult to get SAW into the 21st century? ...I completely understand the struggles associated with being a one man shop...
    Are you sure?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I do understand your frustration, but SAWStudio getting to 64 bit is a pretty great step towards it becoming what you seek. After Bob has had a bit of time to squash the bugs, I fully expect some wishlist stuff to come true. I certainly have ideas around what I would like to see for enhancements.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Some DAWs support PolyWav and some don't. They're also not consistent in the way that they do it.
    Given that, I would personally feel most comfortable using the SD WaveAgent for Sound Devices sourced files, and then bung them into your DAW of choice.
    Given the tools are available elsewhere, I can't see this being a high priority, but who knows!

Dominic

When I tried SAW 32 with my UAD Apollo 16 and it didn't work I called UAD and they told me that it was all 64 bit and required 64 bit drivers.

If your using a 64bit OS then your hardware drivers should be 64bit, regardless of whether your host is 32 or 64bit...
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada