Close

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Default Re: SAWStudio (and Plugins) 64 Bit Bug Reports!

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    I may experiment with setting all services to default and if that doesn't work then try a repair install on one of them to see if that solves it.
    I tried defaulting the Win services (set a restore point and backed up the registry first) on the Z600/RayDat. This did not unlock the secret to getting SAWStudio64 to work. I'll try a few more things as time permits.

I tried defaulting the Win services (set a restore point and backed up the registry first) on the Z600/RayDat. This did not unlock the secret to getting SAWStudio64 to work. I'll try a few more things as time permits.
    I've tried a number of things on the Z600 machine without luck. I even tried defaulting the bios settings. My efforts have largely been on trying to get the Win7 install back to as close to 'stock' as possible. I've re-enabled Desktop Composition, Aero themes, all default services etc. Fully up to date with all important and recommended updates installed.

My next thing to try on either the Z400 or Z600 will be a blank hard drive and fresh install of Win7 (since I can easily swap out the existing system drives). Otherwise, I'm at a loss. I've installed 3 other audio programs on the Z600 and they are all working very solidly.

When I enabled the Aero theme (changed from Windows Classic), it *seemed* as though SAW64 would enter the hang state more quickly after rolling playback (like immediately). Before it would wait 5-8 seconds, then the cpu core would become pinned. That's all I got.

The adventure continues...
    I noticed something on this machine (with the RayDat). Yesterday I had set the driver to limit the number of ASIO channels to 32 (previously it was 36) to accommodate PT installed on the same machine. When I came back today, fired up the machine and tried SAW64, the ASIO driver had reset and was no longer assigned in SAW's device list (even though my prefs were saved) - this is likely because the number of channels SAW had seen previously was 36, not 32 (including the SPDIF and AES I/O on the RayDat).

I chose the HDSP ASIO driver again and proceeded to load my test EDL. This time when I played, SAW didn't crash until 40sec into the playback, and I was able to start and stop many times before it finally crashed. Upon re-boot and restart - this time without an ASIO full re-instantiate, SAW64 crashes within 7-10 sec again, like all the other situations. I tried again, full unassign of HDSP and changed # of channels (went to 96k) and this time had the same results. SAW played fine for the first 30-40sec then will crash every time after killing the process and restarting.

My laptops (where SAW64 works) are both using the same RME Babyface Pro. Of the desktops that don't work, one has a RayDat, the other two have LynxStudio cards. All three are fairly high channel count: 32/36 - RayDat, 32 - AES16e in 32ch mode, 48 - 3 x LynxTwo cards. All the latest drivers.

The desktops are all HP but they are three different models. They are all running Win7Pro. None of them have a ton of other software on them. They're lean and offline. No 3rd party A/V etc. No utilities or strange runtimes - none of the HP services or add-ons. Everything short of a fresh install of Win7 - which I will eventually try.

Blog Entries

Naturally Digital,

Can you check to see what Windows version you are using. Go to start > Run and type "winver".

I always use Windows Classic with Aero disabled. The version of Windows 7 that I am using is Version 6.1 (Build: 7601: Service Pack 1). I do not perform any updates on these system at all - and never have.

I use two systems, a desktop - my main office system with Internet access and an IBM Laptop without Internet access. The desktop uses a ZOOM UAC-2 - which sometimes gives me "issues".
    Prior to that I used a Tascam US-122mkii without issues.

The office system use V5 of Eset as well - and I have been using some very large KONTAKT libraries - all with incident.

The Behringer UMC-404HD has never given me issues at all - on either system.

PS: Man, I would love to get ahold of one of these boxes and see what it going on? If you are up to it - do it, and I will perform an install at no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Naturally Digital,

Can you check to see what Windows version you are using. Go to start > Run and type "winver".
    Same as you: v6.1, 7601 sp1

I always use Windows Classic with Aero disabled. The version of Windows 7 that I am using is Version 6.1 (Build: 7601: Service Pack 1). I do not perform any updates on these system at all - and never have.
    The Z400 machine is in a similar state, original sp1 install with only a couple of updates that were required installs for one or the other DAW application. I downloaded those on another machine and installed offline.

I use two systems, a desktop - my main office system with Internet access and an IBM Laptop without Internet access. The desktop uses a ZOOM UAC-2 - which sometimes gives me "issues".
    Prior to that I used a Tascam US-122mkii without issues.

The office system use V5 of Eset as well - and I have been using some very large KONTAKT libraries - all with incident.

The Behringer UMC-404HD has never given me issues at all - on either system.
    Are you saying you've tested SAWStudio64 on those systems, and it's been solid?

PS: Man, I would love to get ahold of one of these boxes and see what it going on? If you are up to it - do it, and I will perform an install at no charge.
    I hear ya! Thanks for the offer. I'm going to do that sometime next week. I'll do a clean install on the Z600 and I'll leave things mostly on default settings. That will be an interesting test.

I haven't really looked at event log files yet. That may reveal something.

Thanks for following along!

It's all good... I'm sure we'll figure this out. I'm just interested to learn the cause. Otherwise, it's business as usual. Now in 64-bit.

Blog Entries

Naturally Digital,

"Are you saying you've tested SAWStudio64 on those systems, and it's been solid?" ... Yes, and very much so! No issues at all - other than ZOOM, which I have heard others make note of.

Lightbulb Re: SAWStudio (and Plugins) 64 Bit Bug Reports!

Everything short of a fresh install of Win7 - which I will eventually try.
    I tried a fresh clean install of Win7 on the RayDat/Z600 and was able to duplicate the crash. Not at first though... I had to work at it. Now it's repeatable through warm and cold reboots.

I'll try toggling some bios settings if no one is able to duplicate this. I'd suggest anyone testing should work the MT playback SRC routines, engage the dither(s) and maybe add a live input or two to the mix. In this case for me, the realtime SRC quality setting was on low.

I saved an EDL to SAW64's Audio folder, loaded a single 44.1kHz stereo wav file on track 2 and I set the source for channel 1 to Device 1-2. With the MT set to 44.1, 16bit, no dither, everything seemed fine. I played, I looped, I started/stopped, tried to break it. It was as if the fresh install had solved it. I had the buffers set quite low since I was trying to stress it (1 x 32). It seemed solid.

Once I changed the MT to 48kHz, 24bit and engaged dither, that's when it started to crash. If I reboot, load that EDL and hit play, it crashes every time. Even when I increase the buffers.

There's nothing connected to the RayDat.

I haven't tried reverting the settings yet. I'll see if I can repeat the stable behavior and maybe narrow it down to a particular setting.

I'll see if I can repeat the stable behavior and maybe narrow it down to a particular setting.
    It seemed related to the ASIO driver resetting, everytime I change the number of buffers or change the sample rate. There's a big cpu spike after the reset, then it settles down. I can toggle the sample rate, hit playback and the cpu spikes. Play again and it's fine. Rinse repeat.

When I engage the dither (with non-corr and random activated) it crashed with the pinned core.

Make sure you have mic pre-converters connected to the RayDat card... any channels not connected to actual hardware should not be active in the Audio Device list.

Bob L

I'll try toggling some bios settings if no one is able to duplicate this.
    FWIW I tried changing some of the bios settings (things I'd disabled) and I was not able to eliminate the crash. This is using the clean install of Win7. Minimal tweaking.

It's fully repeatable now with a basic EDL with one wav file on the timeline, no inputs assigned (just playing back - 44.1khz, 16-bit). If I have dither disabled, it's fine. As soon as I engage dither in the MT and hit play, one of the cpu cores maxes out. When I stop and try to exit SAW64, it crashes. I have to then manually kill the process.

I'm a little surprised no one else can duplicate this behavior. As many of you know, I'm no newbie at this.

Cheers,
    DVP