Close

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: SAC (and Plugins) 64 Bit Version Bug Reports

With a vst plug that is generating source data, you do need to move the pre patch point to the top of the module to see and process the data thru the chan controls. You should not need to move the meter tap point.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Realize that Win 8 and 10 might lower the realtime priority value of the program unless it is run as administrator... Win XP nor Win 7 did not do this... but it seems to also depend on the particular Windows install... so check.

You can see this issue in the Task Manager... add a column in the processes view that shows the priority... then run without administrator rights and set Realtime priority in SAC... note the value... then run with administrator rights, and note again... some installs will be quite different.

You definitely want the highest priority you can get to keep the engine thread above other threads running in the background... although you will still never attain the priority isolation that Win XP was capable of... 7, 8 and 10, will attempt to equalize thread priorities, and that is the ongoing issue with the lack of performance and stability at high loads compared to what could be achieved in XP.

But... alas... we must move forward... which is why I put so much effort into the 64 translation... that will be key to ever being able to find a way to push past these new Windows priority limitations.

Bob L
    Bob -- I can't find "priority" as an option for Process tab columns in Task Manager. How do you do that?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

In the processes tab, right click on the program you want to change.
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

No... I am not saying to change the program priority in the task manager... do that in SAC or SAWStudio... I am suggesting that you use the Select Columns option in the task manager to display the Base Priority of each process. In XP you just right-click the top column area... in Win 7 you get it from the View menu... in Win 10 you get it on the details tab and then right-click near the column headers... its different on each OS version...

Bob L

[Moving my reply over to the SAWStudio sub-forum for conextual reasons.]
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I know this is probably not possible due to the programs being "self contained" but since updating SAC (32 bit) to 4.5 and installing SAC64 on the laptop
    SAC (32bit) now crashes when scrolling the channels. Computer locks up completely and has to be power cycled to get it back. The system worked flawlessly
    for months before. I run it 9 hours a day and frequently scrolled as I added different input devices. I updated to 4.5 and didn't notice any problems but SAC64
    went on it within days so it may be 4.5 and not the added SAC64. Install of SAC64 was straightforward load - open -close -load Levelizer and Freq Analyzer- open and
    set it up. All is fine except my monitor sends are not working in SAC64. Probably just setup. But when I go back to SAC32 if I just open and let it run its fine but when
    I start scrolling channels or up/down a strip it locks up. No files were copied or moved from one install location to the other. I'll be testing more this weekend but am
    stumped for now. SAWStudio64 and SAWStudio Full (32) do not seem to be affected.
    Steven Lewis
    Mountain View Recording
    Audio-Video Electronics
    Richmond, KY

Try going back to SAC 4.4 on the machine and see if the problem goes away... it may be a bug in 4.5.

Bob L

Same in 4.4 but I thiink it was when I set "CPU blocking". It is an older Core 2 Duo 2.8 G CPU and I've confirmed on 2 cloned units that setting that will
    cause the lock up consistently. I use real time priority class now on both machines and all is well. Going back to 4.5. Evidently a previous setup that was
    loaded set it to CPU blocking. So all is well, operator error.
    Steven Lewis
    Mountain View Recording
    Audio-Video Electronics
    Richmond, KY

Blog Entries

Steve,
    Evidently a previous setup that was loaded set it to CPU blocking.
    ...I had similar issues when testing out "CPU Blocking"...so never used it.

CPU Blocking is used when there are more than 2 cores. In some cases the blocking option can improve performance when you have 4 or more cores.

Bob L